IGNORED

MLIFE A Story of Yonosuke (MLIFE Exclusive #54) (Scanavo Case Blu-ray) [China]

ksosk

21 hours ago, XiaoGu said:

Hello everyone in MediaPsychos, I have joined the forum for a while but this is my first post. This post might be a bit long, but I hope that you could share my happiness if you have some spare time. As the assistant curator and producer of the collectors edition Blu-ray of A Story of Yonosuke from Diskino, the experience was still a dream until the pre-orders opened. It may be a long film for some audience, or an unfamiliar one for many people, but I highly recommend it if you havent watched this film yet. I fell in love with this film after watching it for the first time in 2014, remembering that I was still a fresh university student and that my experience coincided with that of the characters in the film. I was deeply moved by the simplicity of the story with genuine happiness but also with the lingering regret and sadness. I didnt expect this film to have such a strong legacy that I have watched it repeatedly over the past few years, no less than ten times entirely. I watched this film with my family, my loved ones, my close friends, seniors in the school, strangers, and most of the time I was alone. This film has been with me through some of my happiest and most despondent moments in my life, bringing me feelings and energy that go far beyond the film itself, as much as growing up with Yonosuke in the film. My undergraduate course was Architecture but I changed my major at the postgraduate level and chose to study film studies and film programming, turning my true passion for film from a hobby into professional learning and even a career now.

I started collecting all kinds of home video entertainment products in Year 2 of my university life. I was amazed by the beauty of physical design and package, the great experience from Blu-rays, and I learned a lot from the extras for my work. Later on, I found Diskino which is an exclusive home video label in China, and it is not easy to survive Chinese markets with home video productions only at that time. I was impressed by Diskinos branding, film selections and the quality of productions, and have supported them till today from their first release The Last Emperor. I was lucky enough to become good friends with the owners of Diskino during my postgraduate studies and began assisting Diskino in directing and subtitling for the extras in the UK (working closely with Asian film expert Tony Rayns and Chris Berry). The experience of cooperation and love on physical releases have enabled me to develop a great friendship with Diskino. I also gained a deeper understanding of the current state of the home video production industry in China, as well as the difficulties and opportunities.

During my trip to the Cannes 2019, I happened to have a meeting with one right holder in China, and it was also during the chat that I learnt that they got the rights of A Story of Yonosuke (I was not aware of this situation before the meeting). It was a beautiful coincidence and another encounter with this film. Five years later, I had gone from being a young university student and film fan to a professional student learning film programming and curation, and my experience with Diskino made me start to think: What if this film is published on Blu-ray in China? The idea could never escape from my mind since then. After that meeting, I had many conversations with Diskino, assessing the market and discussing the feasibility of this release. Although it had been nearly 10 years since the last Japanese live-action film had been released on Blu-ray in China, Diskino decided that A Story of Yonosuke met Diskinos selection criteria and finalised the plan publish this film. The process began.

In 2020, it was hard for me to travel back due to the pandemic when studying in the UK, so the process of publishing this Blu-ray was planned remotely by me in the UK, and coordinated by the owners of Diskino and other companions in China. The package of the Blu-ray was designed by the independent designer Li Jiaqi, and this package design has been praised by the Japanese company and director. Now that the Blu-ray of A Story of Yonosuke has been polished many times, it is finally completed and will be available for the market soon, while I have just finished my second MA degree and will soon start working and enter the industry, which seems to be another indescribable tacit understanding with the film. With the pre-order just around the corner, I am inevitably apprehensive, but also full of anticipation. As a film with special significance to my life, I am extremely enthusiastic about this product, and I hope it will satisfy all the home video collectors.

Finally, I would like to thank Diskino and the three seniors and bosses for their trust and support! I would also like to thank all the right holders for their efforts in solving the problems and providing me with great materials and footages, and I would especially like to thank director Shuichi Okita for his kind words in his busy schedule. I would like to say thanks to MediaPsychos for building up this lovely community and introducing great releases around the world. But most of all, I would like to thank the film A Story of Yonosuke, which like the dialogue in the film “It's like the fact that I knew Yonosuke makes me luckier than you, somehow. Perhaps the fact that I can meet this film and encounter it again by releasing a Blu-ray also makes me luckier.

@XiaoGu

Your post is a great example of how movies can be more than just entertainment or a way to pass the time. Sometimes beautiful relationships are formed between viewer and art that can lead to interesting twists and turns in our journey of life. I appreciate you taking the time to share some of your story. It was a pleasant read, & I hope you are able to come around the site often to share you perspective on film.

Thank You & Take Care

• Like 5

19 小时前, hal56说:

I had the pleasure of seeing the movie a while ago and already own a blu-ray.

So I was waiting for the beautyshots to decide on buying a new edition.

Let me tell you, once I saw those, it was a no-brainer.

This artwork is not only stunning to behold but mirrors the essence of the movie and maincharacters beautifully.

Like the movie, its masterful and I am thrilled to be able to add it to my collection.

Thank you and I am looking forward to the next releases.

I am glad to know that you like the edition and it meets your expectation! As this film is so important to myself, I hope that anyone in the world who likes this film will be satisfied with this product like I am. Hope that you will enjoy the final product and bring back your great memories about this film.

• Like 2

10 小时前, Hollywood E Rock说:

@XiaoGu

Your post is a great example of how movies can be more than just entertainment or a way to pass the time. Sometimes beautiful relationships are formed between viewer and art that can lead to interesting twists and turns in our journey of life. I appreciate you taking the time to share some of your story. It was a pleasant read, & I hope you are able to come around the site often to share you perspective on film.

Thank You & Take Care

Thanks for your kind words. Yes I believe in the magic and my faith related with films. In my past 10 years, my life had so many magical moments related with films, and I could keeping saying those amazing memories. For example, I was writing about Wings of Desire as a writing example when I was trying to shift my major from BA architecture to MA film studies. Two years later I met with Wim Wenders in an industry preview event as I was studying film programming. I told him about my love and the importance of Wings of Desire as it is an early point in my film career somehow.

I hope that I could have more chances to bring all most magical moments in my life about films into home video productions in the near future. Thanks, keep well!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, XiaoGu said:

The official pre-order just opened in mainland China yesterday so it is not too late to find it now~

i went ahead and signed up for the group buy here. The movie sounds enjoyable and the packaging is superb, so I figured why not. I buy plenty of blind buys from other distributors and I don’t have any mlife...I couldn’t convince myself not to get this one 

• Like 3

一小时前, Mrdugan说:

i went ahead and signed up for the group buy here. The movie sounds enjoyable and the packaging is superb, so I figured why not. I buy plenty of blind buys from other distributors and I don’t have any mlife...I couldn’t convince myself not to get this one 

I hope that this release will bring Diskino's productions as your future choice~Look forward to hearing your feedback then!

• Like 3

I've never heard of the film when the GB was announced, but I gave it a watch a couple days ago and was so glad I did! It's a really sweet, understated film, and many people compared it to Forrest Gump where one person is able to touch many people's lives in small ways. After watching it, I immediately signed up for the GB, and the beauty shots are amazing as well. Thanks for the behind-the-scenes insight, @XiaoGu

• Like 5

4 小时前, moviewizguy说:

I've never heard of the film when the GB was announced, but I gave it a watch a couple days ago and was so glad I did! It's a really sweet, understated film, and many people compared it to Forrest Gump where one person is able to touch many people's lives in small ways. After watching it, I immediately signed up for the GB, and the beauty shots are amazing as well. Thanks for the behind-the-scenes insight, @XiaoGu

I am so glad to hear that you choose to have a watch of this film, and this is the reason why I am promoting this release with so much effort: recommend this film to even one more audience if they encounter this film because of the release, and it is the meaning for me. This is a beautiful film isn't it? Many thanks for your support, and I hope that you will enjoy the edition. And probably you could recommend this understated film to your 'Yonosuke' in your life next time, and let everyone be 'the luckier one'.

• Like 4

17 分钟前, moviewizguy说:

@XiaoGu do you know if the special features are in English or have English subs?

It's a pity as the special features didn't have any English subtitles, as all the special features subtitles are made by ourselves only by long time hearing and translating. Due to the limited budget and heavy work, we could only have Chinese subtitles for the special features while we have English and Chinese subtitles for the main film. In addition, although the special features won't have English subtitles, some videos actually don't need English subtitles to understand. The main behind-scene feature is with Chinese subtitle only while it is still great to see some interesting behind scenes. We also produce the original Japanese screenplay just for anyone who might want to learn Japanese, and keep the original style. Although this product is designed for Chinese audience, I hope that you could find it a great collection!

Edited by XiaoGu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 28 February 1988, Yonosuke picked up the camera for the first time and took his first photograph work of a newborn baby. Many years later, as Yonosuke promised, Shoko finally received the photographs and those old memories were reawakened. I hope that this collector's edition will also be a lasting reminder of A Story of Yonosuke, a gift that you will remember for many years to come. Perhaps this Blu-ray can also be a gift across time and space to your 'Yonosuke', your 'Shoko', the person in your life that you cherish most, to talk about your memories together someday.

GP for the Collector's Edition Blu-ray of A Story of Yonosuke is still available for a limited time, and I am willing to share some exclusive first look of the sample on this special day!

P.S: The two original novels in the last image are not included in the product.

1.thumb.jpg.be0807935babd525b8db8528d69beb02.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.ff2e002ce1ebf7f0847b49845cdda5e1.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.e51800ad3c95efa23e6ef909a41fe615.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.a50ad8329ff95a6d2f1f8a268da211d2.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.020fa02d8623ad52d3fe3ee11cd1f2ac.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.a607a9b2ac22e7d1428a3ba6546ec220.jpg

• Like 5

On 2/23/2021 at 5:01 AM, XiaoGu said:

Hello everyone

I started collecting all kinds of home video entertainment products in Year 2 of my university life. I was amazed by the beauty of physical design and package, the great experience from Blu-rays, and I learned a lot from the extras for my work. Later on, I found Diskino which is an exclusive home video label in China, and it is not easy to survive Chinese markets with home video productions only at that time. I was impressed by Diskinos branding, film selections and the quality of productions, and have supported them till today from their first release The Last Emperor. I was lucky enough to become good friends with the owners of Diskino during my postgraduate studies and began assisting Diskino in directing and subtitling for the extras in the UK (working closely with Asian film expert Tony Rayns and Chris Berry). The experience of cooperation and love on physical releases have enabled me to develop a great friendship with Diskino. I also gained a deeper understanding of the current state of the home video production industry in China, as well as the difficulties and opportunities.

During my trip to the Cannes 2019, I happened to have a meeting with one right holder in China, and it was also during the chat that I learnt that they got the rights of A Story of Yonosuke (I was not aware of this situation before the meeting). It was a beautiful coincidence and another encounter with this film. Five years later, I had gone from being a young university student and film fan to a professional student learning film programming and curation, and my experience with Diskino made me start to think: What if this film is published on Blu-ray in China? The idea could never escape from my mind since then. After that meeting, I had many conversations with Diskino, assessing the market and discussing the feasibility of this release. Although it had been nearly 10 years since the last Japanese live-action film had been released on Blu-ray in China, Diskino decided that A Story of Yonosuke met Diskinos selection criteria and finalised the plan publish this film. The process began.

In 2020, it was hard for me to travel back due to the pandemic when studying in the UK, so the process of publishing this Blu-ray was planned remotely by me in the UK, and coordinated by the owners of Diskino and other companions in China. The package of the Blu-ray was designed by the independent designer Li Jiaqi, and this package design has been praised by the Japanese company and director. Now that the Blu-ray of A Story of Yonosuke has been polished many times, it is finally completed and will be available for the market soon, while I have just finished my second MA degree and will soon start working and enter the industry, which seems to be another indescribable tacit understanding with the film. With the pre-order just around the corner, I am inevitably apprehensive, but also full of anticipation. As a film with special significance to my life, I am extremely enthusiastic about this product, and I hope it will satisfy all the home video collectors.

Finally, I would like to thank Diskino and the three seniors and bosses for their trust and support! I would also like to thank all the right holders for their efforts in solving the problems and providing me with great materials and footages, and I would especially like to thank director Shuichi Okita for his kind words in his busy schedule. I would like to say thanks to MediaPsychos for building up this lovely community and introducing great releases around the world. But most of all, I would like to thank the film A Story of Yonosuke, which like the dialogue in the film “It's like the fact that I knew Yonosuke makes me luckier than you, somehow. Perhaps the fact that I can meet this film and encounter it again by releasing a Blu-ray also makes me luckier.

I have to admit that I didn't know the film. I've never seen it, it has never been released in Spain, and I don't even know someone who has seen it.

Beforehand, that should push me to forget it, as thousands of films constantly disappear from our horizon; but, your post really has made me stop to think about it.

First, I want to thank you for coming here and telling us about your relationship with "A Story of Yonosuke." It's a pleasure that someone so close to the film's journey shares their experiences with this community.

Second, I have loved what you have said; so authentic, and at the same time special. A story with a life of its own; where your love for the film stands out; that feeling that leads you not to forget something. Actually, your story with this film is almost a movie by itself; and admirable love affair.

And that you have had the opportunity to push a little to achieve its edition, probably it's a dream come true and - at the same time - the consequence of a lot of work and a lot of time dedicated.

From what you've told us, you should be very proud that this edition is released.

After reading you, at least for me, this has become one of those movies that I will watch and try to see as soon as possible. I'm curious about a film that makes a person have that kind of relationship with him.
As for the edition, it's beautiful. Really beautiful. But honestly, I have a problem: I don't speak Japanese, or Chinese, and my English allows me to watch some movies without problems, but in movies in which words are important, and have weight, if it's a very good movie, sometimes I prefer to have the support of subtitles - in any language that I know perfectly - that prevent me from losing some nuances; It's not the same to understand something linguistically, than to understand it artistically, or humanly. You know.

Still, I'll try to see "A Story of Yonosuke" as soon as I can.

Thank you very much for your posts.

• Like 5

2 小时前, Casiusco说:

I have to admit that I didn't know the film. I've never seen it, it has never been released in Spain, and I don't even know someone who has seen it.

Beforehand, that should push me to forget it, as thousands of films constantly disappear from our horizon; but, your post really has made me stop to think about it.

First, I want to thank you for coming here and telling us about your relationship with "A Story of Yonosuke." It's a pleasure that someone so close to the film's journey shares their experiences with this community.

Second, I have loved what you have said; so authentic, and at the same time special. A story with a life of its own; where your love for the film stands out; that feeling that leads you not to forget something. Actually, your story with this film is almost a movie by itself; and admirable love affair.

And that you have had the opportunity to push a little to achieve its edition, probably it's a dream come true and - at the same time - the consequence of a lot of work and a lot of time dedicated.

From what you've told us, you should be very proud that this edition is released.

After reading you, at least for me, this has become one of those movies that I will watch and try to see as soon as possible. I'm curious about a film that makes a person have that kind of relationship with him.
As for the edition, it's beautiful. Really beautiful. But honestly, I have a problem: I don't speak Japanese, or Chinese, and my English allows me to watch some movies without problems, but in movies in which words are important, and have weight, if it's a very good movie, sometimes I prefer to have the support of subtitles - in any language that I know perfectly - that prevent me from losing some nuances; It's not the same to understand something linguistically, than to understand it artistically, or humanly. You know.

Still, I'll try to see "A Story of Yonosuke" as soon as I can.

Thank you very much for your posts.

Dear Casiusco, thanks for your kind and lengthy word which warms me a lot, and it is even warmer to get a message somewhere from a stranger but a film lover around the corner of the world, having communication because of a film that you didn't even try or know before. I had some similar experience when I might skip one title until I found something behind that, which would attract my attention and further interests, but it was also the same, if someone was sharing the authentic feeling, anyone could have a chance to get it. It sounds quite dramatic, but I would like to say after my shift of course and career into film, my life has been like a film with so much luck and coincidences. Before, I was not a huge fan of saying something about 'dream', 'idea' while I am willing to talk about them as I experienced all those stunning memories and moments to make convince. I hope that I could share my story to anyone who loves films, and make the others happy and inspired if possible.

I am very proud of this release, or even I might think that even I could have more chances to provide more Blu-ray releases in the future, I won't be able to make the same level product like this, not because of the quality, but because of the meaning and invisible stories behind it. I got so much support in my previous life for this release, and I got even more support since the announcement, including the messages and likes in MP community. I am feeling being loved.

It is such a pleasure to know that you would like to try this film because of my posts (and this is my goal to make more people watching this film). I won't say that everyone will love this film, but probably you will understand my reactions and influences behind this film. It is a simple, long but gentle film, it is like the light, the wind, the time walking ahead of us, you might feel it until you realize it. I could totally understand your concern of the subtitle and the subtle meaning in the original language. Please don't worry that I have watched this film in so many times, including 2-3 times with English subtitles only, and I think that the official version English subtitle is translating the language well. As most of the dialogues in the film are quite simple and daily, you will get the idea easily. 

Look forward to your feedback no matter whether you will love it or not. At least, it is a good moment to talk with you in MP community. Thank you again for your posts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Shuichi Yoshida, original novel author "When I saw the artwork of A Story of Yonosuke Blu-ray, I could feel a lot of 'Yonosuke love'! If there are more young people like Yonosuke, the world will be full of happiness (laugh). Thank you, XiaoGu."

Shuichi Okita, director "I'm very happy to know that more people will see this film in China in the future. I'm sure you all have people like Yonosuke around you, right? I hope you can become the Yonosuke of others. Please enjoy this film as you have a beautiful encounter in your life."

Thank you for supporting the Blu-ray release of A Story of Yonosuke! The pre-order will end soon, so please book it quickly if you are hesitating.

I make every effort and look forward to the feedback from the film fans after the unboxing. Let's wait for the next Japanese film Blu-ray in Diskino selections.

即将售罄 1.jpg

即将售罄 2.jpg

Edited by XiaoGu
  • Like 4

On 3/1/2021 at 1:51 AM, XiaoGu said:

Dear Casiusco, thanks for your kind and lengthy word which warms me a lot, and it is even warmer to get a message somewhere from a stranger but a film lover around the corner of the world, having communication because of a film that you didn't even try or know before. I had some similar experience when I might skip one title until I found something behind that, which would attract my attention and further interests, but it was also the same, if someone was sharing the authentic feeling, anyone could have a chance to get it. It sounds quite dramatic, but I would like to say after my shift of course and career into film, my life has been like a film with so much luck and coincidences. Before, I was not a huge fan of saying something about 'dream', 'idea' while I am willing to talk about them as I experienced all those stunning memories and moments to make convince. I hope that I could share my story to anyone who loves films, and make the others happy and inspired if possible.

I am very proud of this release, or even I might think that even I could have more chances to provide more Blu-ray releases in the future, I won't be able to make the same level product like this, not because of the quality, but because of the meaning and invisible stories behind it. I got so much support in my previous life for this release, and I got even more support since the announcement, including the messages and likes in MP community. I am feeling being loved.

It is such a pleasure to know that you would like to try this film because of my posts (and this is my goal to make more people watching this film). I won't say that everyone will love this film, but probably you will understand my reactions and influences behind this film. It is a simple, long but gentle film, it is like the light, the wind, the time walking ahead of us, you might feel it until you realize it. I could totally understand your concern of the subtitle and the subtle meaning in the original language. Please don't worry that I have watched this film in so many times, including 2-3 times with English subtitles only, and I think that the official version English subtitle is translating the language well. As most of the dialogues in the film are quite simple and daily, you will get the idea easily. 

Look forward to your feedback no matter whether you will love it or not. At least, it is a good moment to talk with you in MP community. Thank you again for your posts.

I have read your kind words again, and I have smiled when you spoke of luck and coincidences.

How many possibilities are of being able to see from Spain right now a Japanese film from 2013 that was never released here? Not many. Rather none. But just a few days after reading your post, looking for how to see it, I found by chance that the Japanese Film Festival, in its online version, for a week, offered only 24 hours to see some Japanese films; three every day. And just the next day, just then... it was Spain's turn, along with other countries, and just "A Story of Yonosuke".

I started watching it with Spanish subtitles, but quickly switched to English subtitles. You were right, it's a linguistically easy film to follow, it does not give any problem.

And I'm already one more in the GB to buy this wonderful edition, of which, in addition, I love its beauty shots and video.

Yes, opening the horizons of people who are on the other side of the world, very far from Yonosuke, both physically and culturally.

But I really liked the movie. And I don't understand why it didn't have more impact or significance here; I like the movies, I go to the movies a lot, I read movie magazines, both commercial cinema and art cinema, and I didn't even remember it. And it's not fair, it's a better film than many others that had more impact that year.

The characters are interesting, magnetic; although from a European perspective you may need to be used to certain habits or Japanese humor, to be able to appreciate some details and move on. But deep down, underneath that cultural identity, there are values that are universal.

But even more than the characters, the most valuable thing to me is the brilliant direction offered by Suichi Okita. I didn't know him, but that kind of talent deserves to go on. The way in which the narration is articulated, including temporal jumps ... but not as an impact mechanism, or to sustain the interest of a lazy audience, but to enrich the story, with its contrasts, and weaving a skein that leaves latent things that they are already there before they happen, and that gives more depth to the story in front of you.

That way of managing the dramatic pulse, the interpretation of the actors, of knowing how to channel everything - humor, drama, romanticism, some laughter, and a certain implicit existential point - without ever losing control, nor losing the horizon towards which wants to go. I think it has big merit, the film is very well made, and it's not easy to move between moments so different - and that resonate in a very different way - without getting lost. But he makes it easy, and offers a fluid narration, not forced, pleasant, able to offer all that and not lose the tone.

Also, it's a very funny movie. And it has charm. A charm that is born from Yonosuke, flows through the story, and is materialized in how it's told; in the rhythm, its jumps, and the way in which small and large stories are linked and superimposed.

Thank you for giving us this beautiful opportunity.

I'm looking forward to receiving my copy.

Edited by Casiusco
  • Like 5

3 小时前, Casiusco说:

I have read your kind words again, and I have smiled when you spoke of luck and coincidences.

How many possibilities are of being able to see from Spain right now a Japanese film from 2013 that was never released here? Not many. Rather none. But just a few days after reading your post, looking for how to see it, I found by chance that the Japanese Film Festival, in its online version, for a week, offered only 24 hours to see some Japanese films; three every day. And just the next day, just then... it was Spain's turn, along with other countries, and just "A Story of Yonosuke".

I started watching it with Spanish subtitles, but quickly switched to English subtitles. You were right, it's a linguistically easy film to follow, it does not give any problem.

And I'm already one more in the GB to buy this wonderful edition, of which, in addition, I love its beauty shots and video.

Yes, opening the horizons of people who are on the other side of the world, very far from Yonosuke, both physically and culturally.

But I really liked the movie. And I don't understand why it didn't have more impact or significance here; I like the movies, I go to the movies a lot, I read movie magazines, both commercial cinema and art cinema, and I didn't even remember it. And it's not fair, it's a better film than many others that had more impact that year.

The characters are interesting, magnetic; although from a European perspective you may need to be used to certain habits or Japanese humor, to be able to appreciate some details and move on. But deep down, underneath that cultural identity, there are values that are universal.

But even more than the characters, the most valuable thing to me is the brilliant direction offered by Suichi Okita. I didn't know him, but that kind of talent deserves to go on. The way in which the narration is articulated, including temporal jumps ... but not as an impact mechanism, or to sustain the interest of a lazy audience, but to enrich the story, with its contrasts, and weaving a skein that leaves latent things that they are already there before they happen, and that gives more depth to the story in front of you.

That way of managing the dramatic pulse, the interpretation of the actors, of knowing how to channel everything - humor, drama, romanticism, some laughter, and a certain implicit existential point - without ever losing control, nor losing the horizon towards which wants to go. I think it has big merit, the film is very well made, and it's not easy to move between moments so different - and that resonate in a very different way - without getting lost. But he makes it easy, and offers a fluid narration, not forced, pleasant, able to offer all that and not lose the tone.

Also, it's a very funny movie. And it has charm. A charm that is born from Yonosuke, flows through the story, and is materialized in how it's told; in the rhythm, its jumps, and the way in which small and large stories are linked and superimposed.

Thank you for giving us this beautiful opportunity.

I'm looking forward to receiving my copy of this issue.

I am so glad to hear that you watched and liked this film as you mentioned, this is the meaning of releasing the Blu-ray of this film. To be honest, I am not even caring how many copies sold of this one while I just prefer more audience could find this film, realize that they might miss this amazing Japanese film and put it in the recent watch list. Thanks so much for supporting this Blu-ray at the last minute with such luck and coincidences with the Japanese Film Festival tour, I found this title last week while I was thinking that it was a US event only. Quite glad to hear that you could catch up with this film with such limited/unexpected chance, I mean everything about this film is luck so far, what a real miracle it is, like Yonosuke himself.

Enjoyable to read your comments on this film, and that's how I thought about it. I won't say that Shuichi Okita is the best master in modern Japanese films but I would say that he deserves much more attention in global. He was not from a film academic background so that he had some personal touches and approaches when making films. His films are quite 'Japanese' as you said that his films had some Japanese humour which requires more patience and understanding of the culture/linguistical background. However, at the same time, his films are easy to catch up and be moved by their universal relationships with the characters and narrations. A Story of Yonosuke is his best film in this career in my opinion, which is even better than his average ability. With the help of the amazing original novel, this film is like a miracle from nowhere that year. If you liked his style, maybe you could try his other films, perhaps The Chef of South Polar (2009) and The Woodsman and the Rain (2011) might be two good starts. In addition, one of my favourite Japanese TV series, Hibana (2016), is also co-directed by him, and this one should be available on Netflix, highly recommended. 

Kinema Junpo (キネマ旬報) is Japan's oldest film magazine and they will have a list of top 10 Japanese films every year while this title was missed. In the past years, more and more audience considered that A Story of Yonosuke might be one of the biggest lost pearls in the lists. As this film is so Japanese, it didn't get enough release and distribution around the world. But I am so glad to say that this film has a solid fan group in China, and it is many Chinese cinephile audience favourite modern Japanese film. I took it as a signal and waited till the day I could find a way to release it, to re-introduce it. A Story of Yonosuke has such simple story with so many magnetic characters to remember, it is like a wine stored in the wine cellar for you to discover. You might be attracted by more sparking, more exciting titles first while you will remember this one for a much longer, steady time.

Thank you for supporting this title from another corner of the world. I hope that when you receive this release, you would be willing to revisit this film, and you will find more and more great details. I have watched this film over 10 times and I still enjoy every second of it with more discovery and feelings every time. Like the dialogue in the film 'Please come by and visit when you have time. Maybe we can get together and reminisce about Yonosuke. I imagine it'll be one funny story after another.'

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...