Dog Soldiers (4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray Collector's Edition) (Second Sight) [UK]

RAK

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good Evening @RAK; (and friends)  🙂

Yes, I've watched "Dog Soldiers" a number of times and own 3 copies of it (DVD, Scream Blu, and Koch (German) MediaBook Blu).

I think it is absolutely excellent and certainly one of the better Werewolf films out there.

I'll be picking up this 'Second Sight' edition as well and send my Scream! copy to the kids.

One of the issues that was raised wrt the 'Scream!' release was the PQ was off.

The Director, Neil Marshall, confirmed that the Scream copy was authored from a Cinema Print because the OCN had been lost.

When the Koch MediaBook was released, including a 4K authoring, it was later revealed it came from the same source.

It has been revealed, by Neil Marshall himself, that they have since "found" the OCN  (oh, that's "Original Camera Negative" btw, heh) and this Second Sight release will be a brand new authoring. They anticipate both 4K and Blu-ray discs will be produced.

I think the Koch release looked pretty darn good but as you know, I'm old and senile.

I suspect this release from SS will be jaw dropping.

I'm sure you've researched the plot-line so won't labour that here. Suffice it to say that I believe the centre focus of the film, the interaction of the soldiers facing an unknown and terrifying threat, is almost a carbon copy of the tense drama faced by the team members in both "Predator" and "The Thing". and that is a good thing!

I'd say the special effects and the 'practical' effects werewolf costumes were incredibly advanced for their time and still hold up to this day.

They were also wise enough to keep most of the wolfies hidden, giving only brief glances at times, until the end pretty much. Similar in theme to I'd say both "Ginger Snaps" and "The Howling".

So yeah, on my "highly recommended" list buddy. 🥰

Cheers.

Tag:  @Bones, @Veum, @pygospa, @Casiusco, @cypheria078, @Scary Hair, @Hollywood E Rock, @Fortis93, @Mad-martigan, @Mrs.Robinson and many others...heh.  😀

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Addendum:

One of the issues with many films practical monster effects, imho, is the camera holding on the critter too long AND the critter moving damn near in ssslllooowww motion as it approaches a victim.

I blame the Director (of course) and the SpecFx Team Lead for this faux-pas.

I understand they want to show off this cool and horrifying make-up/suit/prosthetics but beasties do not operate like that.

If one was real and attacking a fool, it would be moving at break-neck speed for the attack and close that distance pronto.

Okay, maybe not Penny-Wise, as he feeds on the fear but all the rest would! heh.

If they wanna have a long drawn out reveal, do it after the kill, have it scream at the ceiling or howl or some such thing, "Mr DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up..."

If we see too much too soon and it's even at all goofy, oops, mission failed folks.

Fortunately, Dog Soldiers only does this once, pretty close to the end.

M2c  🙂

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for tagging me, @Grendel. The Cover artwork looks awesome, and I have to confess I haven't seen this one yet, but it's been on my list for quite a while now. I have never heard of this label, is it a US release? Where can you be able to get those? Amazon? If it is US, will it also be relased in UK? And what kind of packages do they use? Is this Amaray in a Slipcase? Or is it something more special?

• Like 2

@xSNAKExPLISSKENx ;

Hi Snake, glad ya found us, sorry I neglected to tag ya.

Second Sight sells direct but Zavvi always carries SS titles and will this as well. I think it's already up there.

I suspect Amazon.uk will as well, they also always carry SS.

States-side, I think you'll need to look to "Diabolik" as the seller.

Don't know if they are taking orders for it yet.

Can't think of any other NA sellers I'm afraid.

I'd give Zavvi a go. I use them all the time. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi @pygospa  🙂

So as I mentioned above, since SS is a UK label, all the Brit sites should have it when it opens up.

I'd start to check now.

Amz.de could potentially get it. I know that .uk and .de share many similar titles.

As for contents, I like most others, am still in the dark.

SS has done a variety of styles in the past, Scanavo, Digi-books and digi-paks so not sure what we'll get.

I anticipate a hefty book of some sort as well. Not sure what the hell of, mind you. 😀

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Grendel said:

Good Evening @RAK; (and friends)  🙂

Yes, I've watched "Dog Soldiers" a number of times and own 3 copies of it (DVD, Scream Blu, and Koch (German) MediaBook Blu).

I think it is absolutely excellent and certainly one of the better Werewolf films out there.

I'll be picking up this 'Second Sight' edition as well and send my Scream! copy to the kids.

One of the issues that was raised wrt the 'Scream!' release was the PQ was off.

The Director, Neil Marshall, confirmed that the Scream copy was authored from a Cinema Print because the OCN had been lost.

When the Koch MediaBook was released, including a 4K authoring, it was later revealed it came from the same source.

It has been revealed, by Neil Marshall himself, that they have since "found" the OCN  (oh, that's "Original Camera Negative" btw, heh) and this Second Sight release will be a brand new authoring. They anticipate both 4K and Blu-ray discs will be produced.

I think the Koch release looked pretty darn good but as you know, I'm old and senile.

I suspect this release from SS will be jaw dropping.

I'm sure you've researched the plot-line so won't labour that here. Suffice it to say that I believe the centre focus of the film, the interaction of the soldiers facing an unknown and terrifying threat, is almost a carbon copy of the tense drama faced by the team members in both "Predator" and "The Thing". and that is a good thing!

I'd say the special effects and the 'practical' effects werewolf costumes were incredibly advanced for their time and still hold up to this day.

They were also wise enough to keep most of the wolfies hidden, giving only brief glances at times, until the end pretty much. Similar in theme to I'd say both "Ginger Snaps" and "The Howling".

So yeah, on my "highly recommended" list buddy. 🥰

Cheers.

Tag:  @Bones, @Veum, @pygospa, @Casiusco, @cypheria078, @Scary Hair, @Hollywood E Rock, @Fortis93, @Mad-martigan, @Mrs.Robinson and many others...heh.  😀

Couldnt say anything better than this young man did!

I absolutely loved this film. I think I saw it a year or two after it came out and thought it was definitely thought it was one of the better Werewolf movies. This will be a day one preorder for me. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, RAK said:

Since you can pick up Second Sight “The Strangers” which just was released about a week ago from DiobolikDVD, I’m assuming you should be able to pick up this from them also.

That would be nice, I actually just emailed him seeing if he'd be getting the dawn of the dead set. If much rather give him business than zavvi and I know my package would be well taken care of. I'm so beyond worried about my order of that set from zavii

30 minutes ago, RAK said:

@pygospa This is what I expect to see the Dog Soldiers release to look like. Here is an unboxing video of there release The Strangers. If it’s anything like there “Revenge” release then it will be a nice rigid Fullslip W/ Booklet.

I have the flight of the concords release, id say they are almost EXACTLY the same build and quality as the Arrow ltd editions

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, xSNAKExPLISSKENx said:

That would be nice, I actually just emailed him seeing if he'd be getting the dawn of the dead set. If much rather give him business than zavvi and I know my package would be well taken care of. I'm so beyond worried about my order of that set from zavii

I ordered my DOTD through Carl in the GB Thread.

Dog Soldires is one of my favourite werewolf movies, I just love how it doesn't take all that much to create a successfully suspensful action horror that even has a twist thrown in (as if it wasn't so great already). Loved the cast as well and the effects. Might look cheesy to some, but I thought it all worked out perfectly.

I skipped the Koch Media release and have been looking at Second Sight's one since day 1 of the announcement. Will be mine for sure. :D Thanks for the tag ;) 

• Like 2

Awards

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...