Face-off  

7 members have voted

1. 1. The Dark Knight vs Batman Begins

• The Dark Knight
    • Batman Begins

I voted "Batman Begins" when the one I like the most is "The Dark Knight".

Why?

Both are good moovies, as films, as also as superhero films; but, in my opinion, "Batman Begins" really changed everything about how these types of films are/was made. It was a before and after.

To see it, you just have to check what was done in the world of superheroes before this movie, and what was done after. Nolan's "Batman Begins" anchored superheroes to reality, not only making them more realistic, but harder, cruder, more physical, tangible, and in a way, more true. It made previous movies that we liked -and still do- seem entertaining, or funny, but outdated, some almost cartoonish. And I'm not talking about the special effects, but about the narration itself.

In a way, it has reminded me of what "Twin Peaks" did in the world of TV shows, making it go from being something childish, stuffy, and fun, but far from what it started to be our world, to what we know today as television shows.

I simply voted for it because I think it's very good film, and I think it's the one that has led the way.

Although I like "The Dark Knight" more, I think it could not have existed without "Batman Begins", what represents; without that approach from the Batman world to our world. Because although with the years and the passing of the decades we have sometimes forgotten it, many of these superheroes were born as an echo or answer of what was happening then in their world, in their real world. And with the time and years, that world of reference and context was only a drawing from the past. "Batman Begins" redrew it, updated it.

And I'm sure that someday, in a few decades, someone will have to do something similar again. When our whole environment has changed (so much) again. And let's not forget: it's not only the context, when the environment changes, the way of narrating also changes. And we will have another way to make superhero movies. 

• Like 1

Awards