• ★ Administrators ★

MP Group Buy here

Info & Questions Topic

Akira (WCL Exclusive #44) (4K UHD+2D) [China]

Release date: 31 Dec

Price: 548 CNY

Limit: TBA

WCL has confirmed the Akira project!! 😃

EXCLUSIVE DOLBY ATMOS AND DOLBY VISION!!

ENGLISH AUDIO IN UHD DISC.

BD DISC specifications:

Audio 1: Japanese Dolby Atmos in Dolby TrueHD
Audio 2: Japanese PCM 2.0 (16bit/48kHz)
Audio 3: Japanese Dolby Digital  5.1 (16bit/48kHz)
Sub 1: Simplified chinese
Sub 2: Eng
Special Feature 
AKIRA SOUND MAKING 2019
1988 AKIRA SOUND CLIP BY Geinoh Yamashirogumi
Original 1988 End Credits
Trailers
-Trailer 1
-Trailer 2
-Teaser 1
-Teaser 2
-TV SPOT

UHD specifications:

Audio 1: Japanese Dolby Atmos in Dolby TrueHD
Audio 2: Japanese Dolby TrueHD 5.1 (24bit/192kHz)
Audio 3: Japanese PCM 2.0 (16bit/48kHz)
Audio 4: Japanese Dolby Digital 5.1 (16bit/48kHz)
Audio 5: English Dolby Digital 5.1 (16bit/48kHz)
Sub 1: Simplified chinese
Sub 2: Eng

1945846549_WCL-AKIRA.thumb.jpg.bb417c54e24c4dcb3c96270b64c70c98.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4

It's passing odd the way titles undergo feast or famine surges in this industry.

No doubt due to the intricacies of licencing contracts, we can go years without a new release of a title and then suddenly, everyone is putting out an edition.

So many of our Premiums as of late have followed this trend.

Mind, I'm assuredly not complaining!

It's indeed wonderful to have so many choices available to us for shows much loved.

Akira is certainly no different in that respect. It did more to promote anime in North America (other than a Ghibli film) than damn near any other title.

As this thought provoking and in many ways disturbing show is amongst my faves, I'll gobble up every serving they place it front of me.

Knowing the capabilities (and deep pockets) of WCL (Discino) this could even top the IVE Ent, (Kimchi) release !

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 6

Never bought a WCL edition before, and honestly cannot recall seeing one on our new arrivals threads either? Although I am sure I must have.

I went in for the Kimchi/Ive Akira, so feeling reluctant to go again now, although I understand that this one is 4K whereas mine isn’t, and that @Grendel & @extantsrevenge will be telling me to jump in regardless! 😂

Anyone got any nice WCL items that they can share with me to get an idea of their work please? Also guessing that these come in at around the £40 mark before shipping? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pbsw23 said:

Never bought a WCL edition before, and honestly cannot recall seeing one on our new arrivals threads either? Although I am sure I must have.

I went in for the Kimchi/Ive Akira, so feeling reluctant to go again now, although I understand that this one is 4K whereas mine isn’t, and that @Grendel & @extantsrevenge will be telling me to jump in regardless! 😂

Anyone got any nice WCL items that they can share with me to get an idea of their work please? Also guessing that these come in at around the £40 mark before shipping? 

I have not, but just a heads up there is a nice Japan edition that is 4K. Amaray, not a steelbook. Nice slipbox edition with thhe same art that was on the KimchiDVD/Ivy lenticular edition, but not a lenticular.

I bought it after also getting 2 of the KinchiDVD Editions. The Lenti and the Blue Full slip. It is really nice. Here is the link. Worth looking into.

Amazon Japan

If the WCL edition is REALLY nice, I will get it too.

Michael

Edited by mgurau
Added a comment. fix typo.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi @Pbsw23 and friends;  🙂

Actually, I'd suggest you pass on the WCL ed of Akira my friend, unless you are purchasing it as a collector's item (which assuredly, we do here...heh).

Now some whom have watched it in 4K do appreciate the HDR enhancements it provides, I've heard but the source product has inherrent limitations due to the way it was produced so those "improvements" over the Blu-ray viewing I'd suggest are quite limited.

I won't get into the technical aspects but suffice to say, it looks and sounds really great out of the IVE Ent. release so yeah, it'll do.

But of course, then we have the "collector" side of the coin.

Will I buy it? Hellz Bellz ya, I've only got 4 other eds of the show.  🙂

Should you?

I dunno, how far down the anime rabbit hole do ya hope to fall?

BTW...there's no bottom...😉

As for WCL eds. Well poop, I think they've provided some of the nicest in my collection.

Let's see, how about;

- 2001: A Space Odyssey

- Heat

- The Great Escape

- Unforgiven

and a few more you've no doubt seen pics of.

Cheers buddy! 😀

edit: Oh, I'm gonna use this post to tag somebody, heh.

Hey @DarthEd get on this will ya!  😀

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks, @Grendel. I appreciate the advice. I was considering it, but I was on the fence since I just bought the Akira One Click (from KimChiDVD, I think?) last year or two years ago. I could definitely see upgrading to a 4k version at some point and I’ve loved some of WCL’s other releases, but nobody should be cutting corners with Akira.

• Like 1

Awards

• ★ Administrators ★

@Pbsw23 I would suggest for all members that are not sure yet, wait for the Beauty shots. WCL has planned something great for this and if that works it should be an edition you can't miss out on.

Also my understanding is that they will do their own 4K disc, which sounds interesting.

As for the price, this is planned as a larger release (thinking 2001 here 😳). So might be higher. I think we will have some time before more info will be out, some things might change.

I'm looking forward to this a lot and it is safe to say that my initial request of 1 copy will not remain 1 after BS are out.

Everyone interested should keep watching this topic 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

• 5 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Jax@899 said:

Could I join this group buy?

Yes. If you scroll all the way up and click where it says "MP groupbuy here" then click the green button and fill out the form you will be put in the GB. Although you should know that once you join you are committed to paying for it, no backing out. Neither pictures nor a price has been released yet so you might want to consider that

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Jax@899 said:

Could I join this group buy?

🥤morning here @Jax@899,

To add to my friend above ^^^ just click on this button image.gif.9a247d408eb5a045154d80770e4f6829.gif

here:  WCL GB : [ OPEN ] Akira (WCL Exclusive #??) (4K UHD) [China] 

Make sure to add your country & how many you request my friend❣️

Edited by Veum
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

WCL is usually quite prompt in releases, certainly far more so than some Houses I could mention...

I was passing curious if there has been any further announcement made @extantsrevenge, wrt how this hotly anticipated title fits in their pipe?

I doubt, with the added burden everyone has been experiencing as late, they're ready to announce beauty shots or such but I'd be interested if they've started cutting the 4K disc they have planned whilst awaiting approval on the art submissions?

Cheers my friend. 😉

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
Just now, Squeegie McGee said:

I've been keeping an eye on this and I'm curious if this will be a steelbook premium. If it is, then I'm down! I have the DVD metalpak which I bought like almost 20 years ago lol 

Doubtful. I don't think they ever do steels. I have never seen them do one. Amaray Premiums.

KimchiDVD did a steelbook premium last year. 3 versions and offered as a one-click with all 3. A lenticular, Full Slip and can't remember what the 3rd was. I did not like that edition and got the other 2. 

Probably can only find on ebay now.?

• Like 2

Just now, mgurau said:

Doubtful. I don't think they ever do steels. I have never seen them do one. Amaray Premiums.

KimchiDVD did a steelbook premium last year. 3 versions and offered as a one-click with all 3. A lenticular, Full Slip and can't remember what the 3rd was. I did not like that edition and got the other 2. 

Probably can only find on ebay now.?

There is also a nice slipbox 4K releasee that got a world wide release. I got the Japanese version which was really nice. Mill Creek in US released a version not too long ago, but I heard there were problems with the UHD version. 
I thought the Japanese box was a little nice so was good with it. Check Amazon Japan for availability.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/大友克洋/dp/B07TXPBD2M/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=アキラ+4k+blu-ray&qid=1617229489&sr=8-1

Or check into the USS Mill Creek one, but make sure they have fixed it before you get.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mgurau said:

There is also a nice slipbox 4K releasee that got a world wide release. I got the Japanese version which was really nice. Mill Creek in US released a version not too long ago, but I heard there were problems with the UHD version. 
I thought the Japanese box was a little nice so was good with it. Check Amazon Japan for availability.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/大友克洋/dp/B07TXPBD2M/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=アキラ+4k+blu-ray&qid=1617229489&sr=8-1

Or check into the USS Mill Creek one, but make sure they have fixed it before you get.

Thanks for the info! 

Zach Galifianakis Thank You GIF

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Squeegie McGee said:

Thanks for the info! 

Zach Galifianakis Thank You GIF

You're welcome. Lastly, there is a good video comparing the Japanese to U Mill Creek version, which i found very helpful.  At first I thought it was just the booklet being in english difference, but it appears there is audio differences. Different Dubs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • ksosk changed the title to Akira (WCL Exclusive #44) (4K UHD Scanavo Case) [China]
  • ksosk changed the title to Akira (WCL Exclusive #44) (4K+2D Scanavo Case) [China]