IGNORED

Is This Film Worth My Time?

Grendel

Good Evening Friends;ย  ๐Ÿ™‚

I thought I'd take the opportunity to develop a thread that if not overlooked, may prove worthwhile.

As the title describes, if you are jaded with places like Rotten Tomatoes or IMDB et al... and would like to hear from fellow members their thoughts regarding whether or not a purchase is worthwhile of;

- a film in general

- a specific Studio release of a film

- or even, whether or not to purchase a Premium / Boutique / Steel release or just a simple amaray

this thread may help you out.

Of course, that will depend on the frequency of responses by our members, so we'd be very pleased if you added responses and not just queries.

But certainly post your queries as well! If I can responsibly add my point of view, I will.

ย 

I think we can all easily enough acknowledge, that views expressed are just opinions and not quite the Director's View on a film so please, play nice. ๐Ÿ™‚

Your contributions are most welcome!ย  ๐Ÿฅฐ

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 1

I'd like to start off with a query myself.

The film, "Secret Window" starring Johnny Depp, has caught my interest a couple of times and currently I can pick it up for $7Cdn from Amz.ca

Might anyone have thoughts, one way or t'other wrt this flik?

Pic;

28722_large.jpg

ย 

Thanks much for your thoughts!ย  ๐Ÿ™‚

Cheers.

Edited by Grendel

Another film that has sparked my interest, I purchased off Zavvi earlier today but it was assuredly a blind buy.

Under The Shadow:

Second Sight Films (LE);

Purchased at: Zavvi

Persian with English subs

Pic:

image.jpeg.dd25e2b2db688ac08aedb1c565ddf839.jpeg

ย 

I have a very strong affinity for 'foreign' films (let's just say, not English OST)ย  and this one looks very good indeed.

If any are familiar with it and can share their thoughts (i've already looked it up of course) I would very much enjoy hearing from you. ๐Ÿ™‚

Edited by Grendel

33 minutes ago, Grendel said:

The film, "Secret Window" starring Johnny Depp, has caught my interest a couple of times and currently I can pick it up for $7Cdn from Amz.ca

Pic;

28722_large.jpg

ย 

Cheers.

Loved Secret Window it was better than I thought it would be. I bought this on DVD from the used movie section at a video store, and still have it.

ย 

24 minutes ago, Grendel said:

Another film that has sparked my interest, I purchased off Zavvi earlier today but it was assuredly a blind buy.

Under The Shadow:

Second Sight Films (LE);

Purchased at: Zavvi

Persian with English subs

Pic:

image.jpeg.dd25e2b2db688ac08aedb1c565ddf839.jpeg

ย 

I have a very strong affinity for 'foreign' films (let's just say, not English OST)ย  and this one looks very good indeed.

If any are familiar with it and can share their thoughts (i've already looked it up of course) I would very much enjoy hearing from you. ๐Ÿ™‚

Never seen this.

• Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, Grendel said:

Pic;

28722_large.jpg

ย 

Cheers.

love secret window. Definitely worth a watch. It is so atmospheric and mysterious love itย 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Grendel said:

Thanks very much @RAK, greatly appreciated!ย  ๐Ÿ˜€

I'll be picking up Secret Window as the price is less than postage lately.

I'll provide a synopsis and thoughts on "Under The Shadow" upon arrival my friend.

Sounds good, I really hope you enjoy Secret Window. Just a heads up if you donโ€™t already know, itโ€™s more of a mix of a Horror/Thriller than it is a straight horror movie. Maybe think on the lines of The Ninth Gate thatโ€™s all that comes to mind that I know youโ€™ve seen. With that said, I now have myย 

followers GIF by Shurly
ย 

Post so Pop theย 

love and hip hop popping bottles GIF by VH1
ย 

Andย 
celebration partying GIF by Booksmart

ย 

And all this in @Grendelย new room

Zach Galifianakis Thank You GIF

• Thanks 1

Spoiler
56 minutes ago, Grendel said:

Hi @Veum ;

I certainly would not want to put limitations on such a new thread.

Any show that sparks your interest, that you hope a member can provide thoughts/guidance toward, is of course welcome! ๐Ÿ˜€

ย 

ย 

OK my friend (it will/can be a long list going fwd. for me lol๐Ÿคฃ), Iโ€™ll start out w/my MP namesake...

ย 

Definitely worth purchasing if you enjoy international intrigue and you just want to ย let your mind wonder to a different place/time...

ย 

Has any memberย seenย Varg Veumย & enjoyed it?๐Ÿค”ย Please post your thoughts!

ย 

Varg Veum

ย 

image.jpeg.5fc720e9e2bb80d8dd9e06e938b233f2.jpeg

Description

Varg Veum is the central character in a series of crime novels, written by the Norwegian author Gunnar Staalesen, about a private detective who lives in Bergen, on the west coast of Norway. The books have been translated into several languages, including English, Spanish, German, and Swedish.

ย 

THE SHOW:ย Varg Veumย is a series of televised films based on the titular Norwegian private detective created by Gunnar Staalesens in his many novels, short stories and graphic novels inspired by the hard-boiled American noir style, but heavy with Scandi flair. Veum is a somewhat brooding, slightly boozy, former child welfare worker ex-communicated from the field for beating up a drug dealer. Youโ€™d think heโ€™d seen too much in his life already, but our hero canโ€™t seem to get enough, relentless in his pursuit even when the cops clearly resent his โ€œhelp.โ€ Season 1 contains six 90-minute movies and, very good news, a second season was made as well.ย (Editorโ€™s Note:ย Varg Veumย Season 2 will make its North American premiere October 23rd, 2018 โ€“ exclusively on MHz Choice!)

ย 

Edited by Veum
  • Like 1

Hi @Veum ;

ย 

Um, I did not see a question in your post ?

I didn't really intend this to be a list of suggested shows to watch but more an opportunity for folks unsure whether or not to purchase a particular show, to put forth a query for assistance on determining if one would be worth their investment.

As for recommendations, I believe we have a few posts established for those?

ย 

Cheers! ๐Ÿ™‚

Spoiler
3 minutes ago, Grendel said:

Hi @Veum ;

ย 

Um, I did not see a question in your post ?

I didn't really intend this to be a list of suggested shows to watch but more an opportunity for folks unsure whether or not to purchase a particular show, to put forth a query for assistance on determining if one would be worth their investment.

As for recommendations, I believe we have a few posts established for those?

ย 

Cheers! ๐Ÿ™‚

ย 

ย 

What? @Grendelย I thought Iย was following some of your criteria in your OP...

ย 

โ€andย would like to hear from fellow members their thoughts regarding;

- a film in general

- a specific Studio release of a film

- or even, whether or not to purchase a Premium / Boutique / Steel release or just a simple amarayโ€

1 minute ago, Veum said:

Is this the...

ย 

lisa simpson episode 13 GIF

ย 

fight club jack GIF

ย 

If not, Iโ€™ll just have to take my...

ย 

Mash Up Cat GIF

ย 

And leave...

๐Ÿ˜ณ

9CB6BC66-8F1B-45FB-B0C3-8C627E2AE071.gif.e138b39dc87796f30b0757144002e584.gif

No one asked you to leave, just clarifying what the rooms intent is. If I see something that interests me, but unsure if I want to waste the money on it,ย this is a place to ask members that have seen it.ย Getย opinions if it is possibly a waste of time/money.

• Thanks 1

ย 

14 hours ago, Grendel said:

Pic;

28722_large.jpg

ย 

Cheers.

ย 

A CRACKING GOOD WATCH ,ย 

ย 

The thing I found to be a massive WTF was the appearance of well that is a spoiler and that is what makes the movie tie in so well to some mental heath issues .

ย 

IN a way it articulates as to how some one can see the world .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RAK said:

No one asked you to leave, just clarifying what the rooms intent is. If I see something that interests me, but unsure if I want to waste the money on it,ย this is a place to ask members that have seen it.ย Getย opinions if it is possibly a waste of time/money.

ย 

I just TOTALLY explained why I thought Varg Veum was worth watching/purchasingย & I also asked if any member has seen it & enjoyed it... is this not what is expected from this thread, yeesh?!

• Like 1

Thanks @Scary Hair (and @RAK) for your recommendations.

I just ordered "Secret Window" together with "Sinister" (#1). ๐Ÿ™‚

Now that I have "The Conjuring" (#1 & 2) and from Nova: "Insidious" (#1) I thought I'd pick up the other similarly themed flik.

They'll no doubt bring out a Premium ed, now that I've done so...๐Ÿ˜€

There's no need to get upset @Veum my friend.

That's fine, asking if others would enjoy a show but again, if we use this Thread for suggestions, well, I could fill up 10 pages myself, so would prefer to reserve it for questions on whether or not to watch or buy a show and hopefully others can provide insight, okay ? ๐Ÿ˜€

Cheers!

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Scary Hair said:

ย 

ย 

A CRACKING GOOD WATCH ,ย 

ย 

The thing I found to be a massive WTF was the appearance of well that is a spoiler and that is what makes the movie tie in so well to some mental heath issues .

ย 

IN a way it articulates as to how some one can see the world .

this up here GIF by Chord Overstreet

ย 

3 minutes ago, Grendel said:

Thanks @Scary Hair (and @RAK) for your recommendations.

I just ordered "Secret Window" together with "Sinister" (#1). ๐Ÿ™‚

Now that I have "The Conjuring" (#1 & 2) and from Nova: "Insidious" (#1) I thought I'd pick up the other similarly themed flik.

They'll no doubt bring out a Premium ed, now that I've done so...๐Ÿ˜€

Very nice, sounds like you have a decent line up on the way.ย 

• Thanks 1

Spoiler
2 minutes ago, Grendel said:

There's no need to get upset @Veum my friend.

That's fine, asking if others would enjoy a show but again, if we use this Thread for suggestions, well, I could fill up 10 pages myself, so would prefer to reserve it for questions on whether or not to watch or buy a show and hopefully others can provide insight, okay ? ๐Ÿ˜€

Cheers!

ย 

ย 

@Grendelย Iโ€™m not upset, I just thought my perspective was OK, thatโ€™s all...

ย 

... everyone would not have to follow/show theirย perspective on a film/show/seriesย exactly how I explained just my one post!