IGNORED

Manta Lab Blade Runner (Manta Lab Exclusive #40) (WEA Blu-ray Steelbook) [Hong Kong]

R1s1ngs0n

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, ethnosax said:

My DL arrived this week, so I can finally do the comparison with HDz that I've been looking forward to. I'll share some side-by-side pics so you can check out the two editions.

My tl;dr verdict: HDz is a really good edition. And Manta Lab is superior in every way.

smDSC_8704.thumb.jpg.c686cde80bed4aa695d4c4137c70dfe1.jpg

The front of each slipcover is the same: the classic Struzan poster. My reference point for comparison is the screenprinted poster from Bottleneck. I presume this poster looks as Struzan intended, since he approved and signed it. Interestingly, the original poster is not quite as vivid as either of the slipcovers. HDz and Manta have both tweaked the saturation and sharpness.

smDSC_8708.jpg.f087f276c97519dda280afab97ed84c7.jpg

They've also both cropped the original image differently. I know some people prefer the cropping that keeps poor Deckard's head intact. But I like Manta's arrangement a little better. I also mildly prefer the title along the bottom, not the top, though I would be happier for no title at all to obscure this image.

The major difference between these two lenticulars is the clarity. Even in this still photo you can see that HDz is washed-out and blurry compared to Manta. Everything about the lenticular quality is much, much better on the Manta—no contest whatsoever. Manta's also has some better depth effects, though the two are pretty close in that respect.

smDSC_8709.jpg.659b33cad4bd53c440b3f4e84f25d76f.jpg

The backs of the slips are just up to whether you prefer the other iconic poster, or a different image. I like both, but I like Manta better, and here's why. With HDz putting both of the classic posters on the slipcover, it feels somehow less "designed." It's more like, "Hey, we have the rights to both posters! Put one on the front, one on the back, and...done!" When I look at the Manta edition, it gives me more of a feeling that someone thought about it. Also, the lenticular effect and vibrancy of the Manta is really nicely done. The HDz is good, but as with the Struzan, the Alvin here is just a bit indistinct and washed-out (not as badly as the Struzan, though).

smDSC_8713.jpg.dd72816631f940b0580263381c56f59e.jpg

It's unfair to compare the same image on lenticular and glossy steel, but here you can at least see that there's no different cropping between the two. That steelbook... 😍

smDSC_8714.thumb.jpg.9a1dd2f25f1e73d37a4e867da53571ec.jpg

And here they are with the Bottleneck screenprint. Neither of the editions is exactly the color palette of the original poster, but they still look good.

smDSC_8711.thumb.jpg.fadd24a8b7005afd7d307575b570017b.jpg

The spines are quite different. Manta has the texture, and HDz has a larger title but just on plain black background. Somehow HDz got away with not including "The Final Cut" on the spine. This is an ongoing frustration of mine, that that text has to be included everywhere, even on editions that only include the final cut. I don't have a preference for one spine over the other; both fine.

smDSC_8716.thumb.jpg.7a3651d4bc6317cb150fa37049771dad.jpg

And here are the Blade Runner steelbooks that I think are worth owning. Plus the Titans of Cult, which I haven't gotten around to selling yet. ;) Manta and unicorn are equal favorites, though I don't mind the WWA that came with HDz, either.

In every respect, the Manta DL is the best Blade Runner edition I've yet seen. My only wish is that they'd included all four discs with all the cuts and extras; but I'll be remedying that soon, thanks to our friend Steve Austin and his endlessly useful movie collection.

Thanks to MP for hosting the GB, which is how I obtained the HDz and the Manta. I appreciate all the work you do to make this happen!

Great comparison! Thanks for doing that! Who’s do you think in terms of cards,booklets, extras etc is better?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, FlanInTheFace said:

Great comparison! Thanks for doing that! Who’s do you think in terms of cards,booklets, extras etc is better?

Oh, thanks for asking! I care so little about all the extra stuff that I totally forgot to mention it in my review. HDz's booklet is much better, because it has concept art and interesting bits; Manta's booklet is just photos. I never understand the point of a booklet of stills from the film, really. So HDz wins...but...I think it's the same booklet that's already been part of the digibook release and maybe other releases previously.

The character cards...I mean, what are they even for? Manta's are better...I guess? haha

HDz has a folder with a cool cover that holds all the extras, and Manta just has the booklet, and then all the cards and origami paper tucked inside the steelbook. But that folder also makes the HDz just a little wider, and I'm sure I'm not the only one struggling with shelf space, so Manta's is fine with me.

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, ethnosax said:

My DL arrived this week, so I can finally do the comparison with HDz that I've been looking forward to. I'll share some side-by-side pics so you can check out the two editions.

My tl;dr verdict: HDz is a really good edition. And Manta Lab is superior in every way.

smDSC_8704.thumb.jpg.c686cde80bed4aa695d4c4137c70dfe1.jpg

The front of each slipcover is the same: the classic Struzan poster. My reference point for comparison is the screenprinted poster from Bottleneck. I presume this poster looks as Struzan intended, since he approved and signed it. Interestingly, the original poster is not quite as vivid as either of the slipcovers. HDz and Manta have both tweaked the saturation and sharpness.

smDSC_8708.jpg.f087f276c97519dda280afab97ed84c7.jpg

They've also both cropped the original image differently. I know some people prefer the cropping that keeps poor Deckard's head intact. But I like Manta's arrangement a little better. I also mildly prefer the title along the bottom, not the top, though I would be happier for no title at all to obscure this image.

The major difference between these two lenticulars is the clarity. Even in this still photo you can see that HDz is washed-out and blurry compared to Manta. Everything about the lenticular quality is much, much better on the Manta—no contest whatsoever. Manta's also has some better depth effects, though the two are pretty close in that respect.

smDSC_8709.jpg.659b33cad4bd53c440b3f4e84f25d76f.jpg

The backs of the slips are just up to whether you prefer the other iconic poster, or a different image. I like both, but I like Manta better, and here's why. With HDz putting both of the classic posters on the slipcover, it feels somehow less "designed." It's more like, "Hey, we have the rights to both posters! Put one on the front, one on the back, and...done!" When I look at the Manta edition, it gives me more of a feeling that someone thought about it. Also, the lenticular effect and vibrancy of the Manta is really nicely done. The HDz is good, but as with the Struzan, the Alvin here is just a bit indistinct and washed-out (not as badly as the Struzan, though).

smDSC_8713.jpg.dd72816631f940b0580263381c56f59e.jpg

It's unfair to compare the same image on lenticular and glossy steel, but here you can at least see that there's no different cropping between the two. That steelbook... 😍

smDSC_8714.thumb.jpg.9a1dd2f25f1e73d37a4e867da53571ec.jpg

And here they are with the Bottleneck screenprint. Neither of the editions is exactly the color palette of the original poster, but they still look good.

smDSC_8711.thumb.jpg.fadd24a8b7005afd7d307575b570017b.jpg

The spines are quite different. Manta has the texture, and HDz has a larger title but just on plain black background. Somehow HDz got away with not including "The Final Cut" on the spine. This is an ongoing frustration of mine, that that text has to be included everywhere, even on editions that only include the final cut. I don't have a preference for one spine over the other; both fine.

smDSC_8716.thumb.jpg.7a3651d4bc6317cb150fa37049771dad.jpg

And here are the Blade Runner steelbooks that I think are worth owning. Plus the Titans of Cult, which I haven't gotten around to selling yet. ;) Manta and unicorn are equal favorites, though I don't mind the WWA that came with HDz, either.

In every respect, the Manta DL is the best Blade Runner edition I've yet seen. My only wish is that they'd included all four discs with all the cuts and extras; but I'll be remedying that soon, thanks to our friend Steve Austin and his endlessly useful movie collection.

Thanks to MP for hosting the GB, which is how I obtained the HDz and the Manta. I appreciate all the work you do to make this happen!

What a fantastic write up!! Thank you for doing this. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@ethnosax

Great post and I especially agree with your point regarding the back artwork.

The front and back of the Manta DL look way better matched color wise than the HDzeta. 
With very few exceptions, I’d always prefer unity/continuity in artwork choices (matching color palette, one artist design) than having two distinctly different visuals, no matter how iconic.

Hopefully, I’ll be welcoming my DL tomorrow or Thursday🤞

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, ethnosax said:

Oh, thanks for asking! I care so little about all the extra stuff that I totally forgot to mention it in my review. HDz's booklet is much better, because it has concept art and interesting bits; Manta's booklet is just photos. I never understand the point of a booklet of stills from the film, really. So HDz wins...but...I think it's the same booklet that's already been part of the digibook release and maybe other releases previously.

The character cards...I mean, what are they even for? Manta's are better...I guess? haha

HDz has a folder with a cool cover that holds all the extras, and Manta just has the booklet, and then all the cards and origami paper tucked inside the steelbook. But that folder also makes the HDz just a little wider, and I'm sure I'm not the only one struggling with shelf space, so Manta's is fine with me.

Ya totally agree! I am never a fan of just photo books, especially filmarena’s. I think for Blade Runner 2049 ed.1 all the cards are images in the photo book making it even more redundant. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

My copy has arrived, I know all of you must be wondering.....why does Billy Talent only have the DL and not the OC.

That's a great question, answer is I missed out on the OC 😑but thanks to MP'S fantastic service I got the DL.😊

Gotta say I am not a big fan of Manta but wow this DL is amazing it's much clearer than I thought it would.

This might be the best Blade Runner DL premium out there !🙂

Imma snitch  you out

20220105_104006.jpg

20220105_104017.jpg

20220105_104047.jpg

20220105_104106.jpg

20220105_104101.jpg

Edited by Billy Talent
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...