IGNORED

Die Folterkammer des Hexenjägers (OT: The Haunted Palace) (HansaSound) (Blu-ray/DVD Mediabook) [Germany]

pygospa

Release: 27.09.2019

Link (Amazon.de): https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07W7GZ4QH

Price: 16,99€

Limited: ?

This is the second release I got, due to this list by this guy @Grendel, and the second release that I got (together with the other one) from this label "HansaSound", that I never heard of, before. If you are interested in the background of the label, please look into my other post. It might explain why these mediabooks, though they look stunning at first glance, do not get the love that other companies, who are with their whole heart into producing movie releases, give. "The Haunted Place", or what we Germans literally call "The torture chamber of the witch hunter" is yet another collaboration of director Roger Corman and actor Vincent Price in a story based on Edgar Allen Poe (which is why I got it, because that is what we talked about in the other thread :D ) from 1963.

The Mediabook has the same quality as the other one, so I won't repeat myself - it looks stunning, but it's not the best quality. On the booklet side, we get less pages than form its successors. 16 pages, again written by Nando Rohner, but this time that's it, no annoying Wikipedia copies. Again its about 8 pages text, the other 8 pages are images, and this time I have to say the images look really stunning, it's a great print with sharp images and strong colors. But again, that's it, on the positive front. Negative, I have to say is the missing extras - this time the back says that there are German subtitles, but there aren't! English and German audio, and that's it. We get a Trailer as extra, plus this time also another three extras - turns out, these extras are the missing Wikipedia texts. This time they are digitally on the disk. You get 19 (?) text cards alone for Vincet price, i.e. you get a text card, and can read it, then you press your "next chapter" key on your remote and there you go, next text. While I think it's great that they did not print it on the booklet, and used the space better, I still wonder, who they think would read that? Especially if you could just open your Browser and read it directly in Wikipedia, much more comfortably.

On the plus side, one could argue that the German Amaray release from 2012 also did not have any extras, neither did the criminal label (Inked Pictures) Mediabook-release. But taking a look over the pond (the small one, to the UK not the US), and we'll see what this release could have been having:

• Optional isolated music and effects track
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Audio commentary by Vincent Price s biographer David Del Valle and writer Derek Botelho
  • Kim Newman on H.P. Lovecraft, a look at the relationship between Lovecraft and the cinema, and the challenges of adapting his work
  • A Change of Poe, an interview with Roger Corman
  • Stills and Poster Gallery
  • Original Theatrical Trailer

That's what you get from the Arrow release. So in the end once more I have to say, even tough I like this Mediabook slightly better than the one for "The Masque of the Red Death", you get much more for your money if you get another release. I would probably go with the Arrow release, it also has a booklet plus all the extras on the discs. If you are not a hardcore package collector going for everything mediabook, you'd probably be better off.

Here are some pictures:

20200604_155443.jpg

20200604_160013.jpg

20200604_160136.jpg

20200604_160208.jpg

20200604_160218.jpg

20200604_160242.jpg

20200604_160251.jpg

20200604_160304.jpg

20200604_160316.jpg

20200604_160338.jpg

20200604_160415.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks very much once more for your detailed analysis @pygospa, much appreciated! 🙂

Though I'm of course elated that you have decided to pursue obtaining the Corman/Price films, I'm certainly dismayed to hear that once again, you have discovered (for us all) that some companies do not have the thoughtfulness or dedication to put out quality material.

I remember when Arrow was first starting out and even then, they consistently produced quality editions. (Heh, some would even say it was better back then).

As for Masque, I provided comments in the related Thread but as I stated there, I do hope the film (Haunted Palace) itself proves of sufficient quality for a good watch as, I personally have a great deal of love for these old classics and get a warm and fuzzy hearing from folks that are just recently joining the choir! 🥰

edit: I also wanted to mention, if you see an interview offered on any of your film discs of Kim Newman, watch it!  🤗

I have a great deal of time for this man. He has been a film aficionado of this genre for decades and as a Historian, provides a great deal of information to the viewer about not just the related film but usually the Studio involved and a comparative analysis of similarly natured films.  He's worth your time ( as is Mark Gatiss 🤗).

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Grendel said:

I'm certainly dismayed to hear that once again, you have discovered (for us all) that some companies do not have the thoughtfulness or dedication to put out quality material.

Well, it isn't the first time. I luckily never bought Inked Pictures (that's the criminal label I was talking about in another thread where you where asking who they were - here's your answer :D now I won't mention them by name anymore ;) ), but I got a few "Mediabooks" from other companies that were totally not worth their money. Here's just a selection of two examples for companies that I found most loveless and also pretty sad, because the movies deserve better (if you ask me):

First off: The Blaxploitation titles that "Studio Hamburg" released. I was pretty excited about this, because I have heard Quentin Tarantino in countless interviews talking about how Blaxploitation films influenced his youth, so I looked those movies up a while ago, because I had never heard of them. I read the wikipedia article and watched a documentation on YouTube and I thought this was really fascinating and interesting. It's an important part of film history, and as you might already guessed I'm that kind of guy that likes history (kind of a hobbyist historian if you will :D ), and especially movie history. Plus, I am a huge Tarantino fan, and so I am always interested to see those movies that inspired his films, just to get all the references, etc. (I feel like the more other (especially classic) movies you watch, the more you can get out of an Tarantino movie). And I mean, it's a no-brainer to have at least watched Foxy Brown, given the tribute that Tarantino gives to this movie and Pam Grier with his 1997 movie Jackie Brown. So I looked up those titles and found out that they are rather hard to get - a few US Blu-rays, but those are again region A locked, and if you are lucky there's a British release from one of the typical labels I always mention, usually out of print. Plus, usually I try to avoid Amaray releases (this was much stronger in the past, though today I'd rather have a good Arrow/Eureka/Criterion/Indicator release than a badly done Steelbook or Mediabook). In Germany? Nothing. So I was like a little kid when they announced these titles, I even wrote the label asking if they plan to do more Blaxploitation titles and that I really appreciate it that they do these titles and that they do them in a premium format.

However, this premium format is a facade; they look good, yes. They have a coherent look, they even have a limitation to 1000 copies, that are individually numbered. But, well, that's it. There are zero extras, not even subtitles, not even the original trailers of the movie, nothing (they have advertisment trailers for other titles they own, all right). Vanilla film disk. This disk is so vanilla, I don't understand why they bothered doing a menu for the blu-ray. And for the booklet: There's a listing of cast and crew in it. Rest of it is black and white imagery. One of the saddest releases. Just for this post I looked up the extras on the Arrow release of Foxy Brown:

• Audio commentary with director Jack Hill
  • From Black and White to Blaxploitation Actor Sid Haig speaks about his long and influential friendship with Jack Hill
  • A Not So Minor Influence An Interview with Bob Minor, the first African-American member of the Stuntman s Association, and co-star of Foxy Brown­
  • Back to Black Legendary actors Fred The Hammer Williamson (Black Caesar) and Austin Stoker (Sheba Baby, Assault on Precinct 13 ), alongside Rosanne Katon (Ebony, Ivory, and Jade) and film scholar Howard S. Berger speak about the enduring popularity of the Blaxploitation film
  • Photo gallery of behind-the-scenes and publicity images
  • Original Theatrical Trailer
  • Trailer Reel Trailers for all the major works by Jack Hill including Foxy Brown, Coffy and Switchblade Sisters
  • Collector s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Josiah Howard, author of Blaxploitation Cinema: The Essential Reference Guide, a new interview with Pam Grier by Jack Hill biographer Calum Waddell, illustrated with original archive stills and posters

I mean, I wouldn't expect that much of extras from a release, anyways. But at least a couple of information working out the importance of these movies in the history of Cinema, and especially in the history of Hollywood which was in a crisis and was saved by Blaxploitation movies (the only reason those where produced in the 60-70s). So, Studio Hamburg "Mediabooks" is something I would avoid.

20200605_133205.thumb.jpg.4dfeea163cd93028c2655fb869a493f9.jpg20200605_133230.thumb.jpg.b1c1757999d03961502a688aaa7bb00a.jpg

20200605_133252.thumb.jpg.c56b7db47b8fc9b89a15463542547abe.jpg

655300590_Screenshotfrom2020-06-0514-07-38.thumb.png.0e08bdd37a58da96f42c55d2dbe88725.png

Second example is an interesting one. You might already know that I am a Hammer Horror movie fan (that's how I got in touch with all that classic movies in the first place! Before that I was only watching recent Hollywood movies! So huge shoutout to the Hammer Studios, and especially to the label Anolis!), and in Germany there is this company that all got me started with Hammer: Anolis. They don't make the best Mediabook packaging - hell I wouldn't even call it a Mediabook but rather a Digibook, because it's a 1-Tray release, and the media (not medium) in Mediabook referes to different media in the same book (I mean that's how this "trend" got started in the first place. When there was just DVD we all called this things Digibooks, and the rest of the world does it to this day. But In Germany, once Blu-ray hit the market, and adaption rate was far below that of the US [even today the DVD has the major market share in Germany], companies in Germany started these dual releases, as they did not want to lose half their customers by making it Blu-ray- or DVD-only; so they came up with the DVD-sized DigiBook that housed both: DVD and Blu-ray, and called it Mediabook. Nowadays most people seem to have forgotten this fact, and they start calling DVD-only releases a Mediabook, or G2-sized Blu-ray-only Digibooks Mediabooks as well, but in my book that's plainly wrong. But I am disgressing so much right now... sorry :D). In my book it's okay if it is just another Blu-ray disk, or an Audio-CD, or a UHD, instead of DVD. But if it's missing at all, I'd rather call it DigiBook - which for me is totally fine, I don't see any less value in a good DigiBook - especially those from Anolis are better than a lot of Mediabooks out there ;)

But let's finally get to the point: So Anolis is buying all those Licenses from old Hammer Horror movies, they have 25 titles in their portfolio already, but everyone is always asking one question: What about Dracula. And Anolis will reply: Well, we're trying, we're working on it, we'd love to, but it's hard to get the license from Warner. Nearly a decade passes, and all of a sudden, Warner starts a cooperation with Hoanzl, to release the first four Dracula titles themselves! Luckily in Mediabooks. And they bring out all four together, limited to 1000 copies each, and everybody is thinking: "Finally!" but also: "Okey, so Anolis won't get them, then." So everybody buys these Mediabooks, they are sold out during pre-order time, and eBay asking prices rise 100% - bear in mind that no one has them, yet! I get them as well, unfortunately a bit too late, but I only pay 18€ more (130€ for all four books, instead of 112€). But getting those I realized, that these where not worth their money at all. Again, on first glance everything looks fine. Individually numbered copies, high gloss clear artwork on the front. However, once you look closer, you'll see, that production of these Mediabooks is already bad. The cover is printed on really thin paper, so in those places where one of the paper layer is glued over another, you can see hard edges. Also, the glue wasn't applied perfectly, resulting in air bubbles underneath the cover artwork! And they didn't even care how they sticked in the numbers on this field. I am still lucky, my one is just crooked. I've seen pictures from other collectors, where the number was totally misplaced, not even in the field, and one of them had the number upside down! That's how you promote your love for movies! But it still get's worse. The 12 page booklet is totally worthless, as it is a Beginning to end summary of the entire movie. That's it. Who do they think actually reads something like that?! Where is the value of reading the entire story if you can watch the movie? And it's not like it's a good written novel or something. It's a four page resume, that's it. Disc is of course, vanilla, but it has subtitles and the original trailer. Then again, even though it says "Full HD" on the back, the movie is only 1080i, so not the best quality you can get. And, even worse, it's not even the longest version. Take the first title, Dracula: 78 Minutes on 25 fps, while another release (see below) has 82 Min. on 24 fps!

20200605_133412.thumb.jpg.daa9f44bcd04c277ed10750930ba8d31.jpg20200605_133455.thumb.jpg.64b83d721ae51e44d2e92390c0070d36.jpg20200605_133529.thumb.jpg.27f6a480e1355bdf939563c9bccfdd3c.jpg

Now this release is so interesting, because, guess what: half a year later, Warner gave the licenses to Anolis anyways. Normally it would be stupid to bring another Mediabook release in such a short time. But Anolis can afford it, and here is why:

20200605_133909.thumb.jpg.37ba298c3c4fced7d22dc21bb7b6eabf.jpg

They did each edition one after the other, because they did new restaurations, plus collected old extras and bonuses and recorded new ones. Just as example, for the firs tmovie they did yet another scan, from a film found in Japan that to this date is the longest version of the movie, even longer then the latest and greatest releases from the UK that was restored by the British Film Institute. BUT, they also include the BFI restauration as well, two versions in one movie. Plus so many further extras on the Disc:

• 2 Audiocommentaries (one in English with Marcus Hearn and Johnathan Rigby)
  • "Dracula Reborn" - The Making of Dracula
  • "The Demon Lover" - Christoph Frayling on Dracula
  • Dracula censorship
  • "The Restauration of Dracula" (Featurette)
  • Janine Fraye reading Dracula
  • Super 8 edition
  • Three picture galleries, collecting old advertisements, critics, programm informations, and photos and pictures

and of course a 36 paged booklet with an essay by Dr. Rolf Giesen, and another by Uwe Sommerlad, featuring a lot of rare artworks, e.g. movie posters from Spain, Netherlands, Japan, US, UK, France, and Greece. Things you wouldn't even find on the Internet! Plus, of course, different cover artworks to choose from, which are partly newly comissioned, and different to the things you already know and have seen for decades. Here are my cover choices - one title they promissed is still missing. Hopefully this year... (big problem with Anolis - they live in their own timeline, so between announcing, and planned release date on the one side, and actual release on the other side, there might lie years in-between :D However, you only get to buy these, if they are finish, so no long waiting on your pre-ordered and prepaid release!).

20200605_133105.thumb.jpg.1f9a3620f8c1a50c3ca7fd1cfdf0359f.jpg

To see these two releases of the movie being like night and day, and realizing that the bad release is the one where Warner actually put's its label on, with this movie being Warners intellectual property, and a small German label doing so much better on a release by something that is not even theirs. Well, that's something to process :D

To sum up this really long rant that has nothing to do with this topic what so ever. There are really a couple of bad Mediabook labels. The one you should remember to avoid are:

• Inked Pictures
  • Studio Hamburg
  • Warner/Hoanzl
  • HanseSound

List might grow in future. Let's see :D

PS: Maybe, if wanted, I can present all my Anolis releases as well, if there's interest for these kind of releases. Unfortunately alot of them are already out of print, and some of them expensive as hell - I myself am also still missing one release, which I am really looking for for years now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ahh, totally forgot to add these two screenshots, comparing Anolis and Warner/Hoanzl's releases. The 25 Frames is the Warner/Hoanzl (which is the way to find out if its 1080p (24fps) or 1080i (25fps)). You can also see, that they have slightly different color grading (I have to confess that I like the Warner/Hoanzl a bit better), and different level of Details you can see, if you look closer at the eagle, or the structure of the rock (here again, the Anolis release is far better).

1023216314_Screenshotfrom2020-06-0515-56-42.thumb.png.6ab217859956f8e173737ce901925b31.png1231788079_Screenshotfrom2020-06-0515-50-31.thumb.png.de8692c08e1d46827ca35e9f87c7a170.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

🥤Hi @pygospa / @Grendel

I had to repeat from The Masque of the Red Death thread b/c these are the best available (however not for those SCALPER prices, shame on them! 😡) IMHO yeah!🤠😇😷

I have The Haunted Palace in this fantastic VP collection!😊

BTW, I only paid an average of $35 for each of these when they 1st came out!!!😊

The Vincent Price Collection Blu-ray

United States

The Fall of the House of Usher a.k.a House of Usher / The Pit and the Pendulum / The Haunted Palace / The Masque of the Red Death / Witchfinder General / The Abominable Dr. PhibesShout Factory | 1960-1971 | 6 Movies | 521 min |

image.jpeg.3a707edc85b40602fe631d4f21a73924.jpeg  :TRUCDEOUF: $486.70  Used - Very Good

I also own these VP collections!!😘

The Vincent Price Collection II Blu-ray

United States

The Last Man on Earth / The Comedy of Terrors / Dr. Phibes Rises Again / The Tomb of Ligeia / The Raven / Return of the Fly / The House on Haunted HillShout Factory | 1959-1972 | 7 Movies | 588 min |

image.jpeg.824ee54d92d236dd75cea6b34a006e05.jpeg  :TRUCDEOUF:  $63.98 + $3.99 shipping Used - Very Good

The Vincent Price Collection III Blu-ray

United States

Master of the World / Tower of London / Diary of a Madman / Cry of the Banshee / An Evening of Edgar Allan PoeShout Factory | 1961-1970 | 5 Movies | 420 min |

image.jpeg.7ecdda65a3265d9dda6e093ce181d913.jpeg  :TRUCDEOUF:  $105.99+ $3.99 shipping  Used - Good

Edited by Veum
  • Like 1

🥤Hi @pygospa

With all the movies 🎥 you want/like, why do you not invest in a region-free blu-ray player, especially a nice 4K one?🤔

It is absolutely one of the best investments I’ve made, besides a good 4K TV 📺... you can not go wrong b/c you can watch all of the region disc (of which I own quite a few other then just region “A”)... just food for thought my friend!🤩

“Happy Trails to you until we meet again”!😊

joined one of us GIF

Edited by Veum
  • Like 2

Hey @Veum, two good questions, that I have also thought about a lot, and I have two good answers to them (at least I think so :D ).

1 hour ago, Veum said:

With all the movies 🎥 you want/like, why do you not invest in a region-free blu-ray player, (...) 🤔

For a region free player: I've been looking for one for a while now. I had one for DVD, and that was done in a shop that (illegally) fixed them for a small amount to be region free (they even did VHS copies which of course are illegal as well, if you think about it). However, these little TV shops that could do such things are becoming really sparse these day, you only have the big discounter chains that survived (Media Markt, Saturn, etc.), and these don't offer such services. Even more, these shops also don't carry any region free players, because, well, apparently that's not allowed? Or not wanted by the market? I don't know. So the only other solution is to look them up online. There are a hand full on Amazon, by third party sellers, but all of these seem a bit shady. They cost far more than the model would usually cost, e.g. there's an LG player (that I own), that cost 50€, nowadays, and the same version in region free is offered for 300€. Now, if there's everything okey with it, I would still consider it. BUT: most of these have bad reviews, e.g. they break easy and then there is no warranty, because it was tempered with and the company doing the tempering is not reacting anymore. Or, once you connect it to WLan/the Internet, the region free capability is instantly lost. Or you need to upgrade your player due to some Blu-rays not playing, and - you guessed it - that cancels the region free capability.

I've been asking around, what other German collectors do, and the best solution seems to be: Get a cheap player from the US, get a power adapter and use that for your region A discs. I was planning on doing that, and I was waiting for some offers at Amazon.com, e.g. black friday offers. But I've always missed that opportunity. Still, that's what I am planning to do. It's cheaper, you keep your warranty, and nothing can go wrong. I already own a couple of region A discs, though :D (Mondo X Steelbook's Looper, Ex Machina and boyhood, Mantalabs Logan, Fight Club and La La Land, and a US Steelbook of It Follows, plus the Slipcover version of Black Swan (in Amaray).

1 hour ago, Veum said:

(...) especially a nice 4K one? It is absolutely one of the best investments I’ve made, besides a good 4K TV 📺

This one is a bit more complex. While I have a XBox that allows playing 4K and I was keeping this in mind when I bought my AVR, I am not yet willing to switch to 4K. And there are a couple of reasons. Most easiest one: I was a late adopter of Blu-ray, and shortly after I switched to Blu-ray, spending a lot of money to replace a large portion of my DVD collection, UHD was announced. So I was at the point of saying: Blu-ray doesn't make any sense, I'll switch to 4K right away, vs. I'll wait with 4K and but don't get any Blu-rays anymore, because it's not worth it, vs. I'll stick to Blu-ray and leave out 4K. One reason why I decided the last one, was (but not exclusively) that I already spent a lot on Blu-ray, and it would have been "ill spend" if I had decided to switch to 4K right away. But that's just one aspect of it. There is another, and this is probably the most important one: For my current living situation and my TV needs that I am comfortable with, it doesn't make any sense. I've talked about the science behind it in great detail here, so here I can be shorter and just say: I have a viewing distance of round about 2m~2.5m. More is not possible for me, because my flat is too small, or to be more accurate, my Blu-ray collection is so large that we moved the couch away from the wall and into the middle of the room, so that I can have more shelves with Blu-rays just behind the couch :D . I also have a 40" TV, and I'd love to go 45" or 50". Anything above feels too large to me for that viewing distance. Consulting these charts, 4K will start making sense at arround 65", which I personally feel not confortable to watch anymore, because I cannot focus on the whole screen without moving my eyes. This is the main reason, but again, it's not the only. There are two others and that are: Prices and Prices vs. Value on the one hand, and Availability on the other. So, given that I have a large Blu-ray collection of nearly 1000 movies anyways - if I'd go for 4K, I'd probably start preferring 4K over Blu-ray; I mean, it wouldn't make any sense to get 4K and not use it, now, would it? Now, back in the days when I started thinking about 4K, I looked up 4K releases, and they where easily 50€-60€, in the typical black 4K UHD Amaray packages (which by the way I totally love - alone for these black boxes I would switch to 4K, because I really detest these blue cases :D ); it's become better since then. Current Amaray releses are cheaper. Take 1917: it's 15€ for the Blu-ray Amaray, vs 30€ for the 4K Amaray. Still there are things I don't like about these packages, for instance they don't come with a reversible cover and they have all the uglyness on them - the stripe at the top of the cover, stating it's a 4K release (even though that's also printed with silver printing on the black Amaray), the FSK seal, the HDR-sticker. All these things, that collectors have been fighting to get rid of on standard Amaray packaging and that is finally removed by more and more reversible cover releases, all these nastiness is getting back in 4K. So to me, this further reduces the value. 4K Steelbooks are even more expensive - however, in 80% of the cases a 4K UHD release will also be available with the same design, absolutely identically, in HD. I can get the Bad Boys for Life Steelbook either for 20€, or for 40€. Difference is just the Disk, nothing more, nothing less. Now, if I factor that in, say at least 15€ more per Disc, and I get around 17 Editions on average per month, that'll make 250€ additionally to what I already spend. Now, factor in, that I wouldn't have much benefit from it anways, as either my TV is too small for my taste, or my viewing distance too small for perfect image, that are 250€ I'll pay without getting any value back from it. If I do had the money to spend, I'd rather get 10-15 more movies a month; that would give me so much more value than having 4K discs that due to my living conditions wouldn't even add much value to my viewing experience, anyways. And that's not adding the one-time costs of a new TV, BD-Player, cables and AVR. And last but not least: Most movies I get, lately, are those classic releases. I do also get modern movies, of course, but it's far more movies pre 2000s. And none of those are available on 4K anyways; new Cinema blockbusters are, but other than that? Anolis' Hammer and Phantastic Classics series aren't releasing 4K, Wicked isn't, Arrow, Indicator, Eureka!, Criterion aren't. Even most of the Filmarena still aren't. It's getting more, yes, but it's still a pretty limited selection. If I take my Media-Markt as a reference: Out of 20 aisles, 10 are DVD, 9 are BD and one is shared by 3D and 4K.

So, summing up all these reasons above, I don't see any value in spending a lot of money on a new TV+BD+AVR+Cables to upgrade to 4K. I am not saying that I am against 4K, and I believe that it'll be the future. But with every new technology, the later you get it, the better but also the cheaper it will be. And from DVD->BD it was quite a large step, that was a huge improvement. But BD->UHD won't be for me, so spending large amounts on money for a technology that I cannot really utilize to the maximum, both due to my living situation, but also due to the availability of things I would want to get. Therefore I am not in a rush to update. I will, as soon as it gets urgent for me, say my TV breaks - of course then I would spent my money on 4K, no sense in getting FullHD anymore, that would be a waste of money. Same for BD-Player or AVR. But as long as they work and do their jobs, I am happy with my setup as it is right now :) Btw. if the price-up isn't too steep, I am already getting the BD+UHD combo, if offered, instead of just the BD version (which is why I already own 42 UHD discs that I cannot play :D ). But for most releases, I'll guess, I'll get a used UHD Amaray of eBay once I have updated my setup to 4K, and add those discs into the editions I own,  once they become available.

Of course the region free player is a totally different thing, and maybe this year I'll get around buying a cheap Region A player from the US together with a power adapter :) I am a bit scared though. That would mean I could finally get all those Criterion titles I'd been flirting with. Another money sink :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello @pygospa and @Veum (and others 🙂);

I'll respond to your Haunted Palace review in a bit pygospa but wanted to append some comments first to the 4K and Region Free discussions.

I can totally empathize with your rationale on delaying adoption of 4K as I find myself in similar circumstance.

I currently have a fair investment in my entertainment media equipment and have no desire to upgrade fully functioning machines just yet.

I have a Panasonic 3D / 65in television, an HD Yamaha Receiver for picture/sound pass through to TV and surround system and 2 Panasonic Blu-ray players, one Region A, the other Region ALL.

That's a fair amount of coin already but then also as you mentioned, I have a collection of about 3000 films in Blu-ray (about 2 dozen in 4K) that serve me well enough.

I'm also a bit long in the tooth and my vision has deteriorated over the past 10 years where the benefits of the improved resolution would not be either noticed nor appreciated.

So, like you, I'm in no hurry to 'upgrade', heh.

Now, I cannot champion the benefit of having a player that handles all region coding highly enough (I actually started with them in the dvd era).

Far too often in the past was I dismayed to see an outstanding edition being offered in another country that would be pointless to purchase, so in order to get the film, I'd need to settle on a mundane amaray cased offer. In some cases, the film wasn't even available in North America. I had to fix that dilemma pronto.

As to which is the better route to go, a different Region player or an ALL region player, the choice comes down to availability and reliability for each of us.

I am fortunate in the respect that in NA, we have a few, fully licenced dealers that sell modified players capable of region all play.

I've purchased 2 from "220 Electronics" in the USA. Both Panasonic and both still functioning impeccably.

I'm right now in the market for a 3rd, that I intend to send to my children, who live in Florida.

I do not know for certain what their shipping restrictions are (they state they ship worldwide though) but here's a link regardless for you.

At the very least, it will provide you a significant amount of info to read as to what exists on the market for these machines, 🙂;

Link: 220 Electronics:

https://www.220-electronics.com/

note: they also provide an international phone number (top of their page) and they have been quite cordial with me in the past when I deluged them with questions on the phone.

Purchasing a different region's player (i.e. an NA one in your case) and a power converter is of course the other option. However, you will need to ensure if you go that route, that either the player or your television, can adapt the signal from NTSC to PAL. Region ALL players are designed to do it on the fly, so ensure that whatever you purchase can do so as well, it's not just the voltage that is a concern.

Well, that's a lot for a 'few comments' heh. If I can provide any additional info, just ask!

Now, to read your film analysis article above....😀

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello again @pygospa, @Veum and others of similar interest! 😀

Once more I thank you pygospa for highlighting important details wrt information on some of our most beloved fliks.

I believe I mentioned before that I have a few Anolis releases but I don't think any of them are of Hammer films.

I do have a rather nice collection of Hammer though, most courtesy of UK distributors, such as Indicator, Studio Cannal, Arrow, etc. and a few from NA.

One noted point regarding Anolis, they usually endeavour (as you mentioned) to procure the best masters they can get their hands on and provide the best version of the film they can.

Now, sometimes, due to licencing, that's not always possible but a few noteworthy titles they've done so;

- Brides Of Dracula: only release in OAR 2.35:1

- Curse Of The Werewolf: same, 2.35:1

- Horror Of Dracula: extended cut with lost footage rescued from a Japanese print (mind, it's just a few seconds added to Lee's death scene)

- a couple others that escape my memory right now.

Indicator has been doing an absolutely incredible job, putting together box sets of some lesser known Hammer gems but not yet the biggest titles (i.e. Horror of Dracula / Curse Of Frankenstein / The Mummy) due to licenses held by Studio Canal and sigh, Mill Creek. Indicator just released Box 5 with no signs of slowing down yet...🙂

Mind, Hammer made more than just "Dark Fantasy" films like Dracula. They made a number of thrilling adventure films as well that don't receive the same amount of love as the considered 'classics' . Indicator is making great strides in correcting that oversight!

Regardless, some Studio Canal releases and the ones from Shock Entertainment (Australian) are quite decent, so I purchased them as well.

Below is an OLD pic from my collection gallery here of my Hammer collection.

I do need to update it though, as I've made a few purchases since that was taken, heh.

Thanks again for the very detailed discussion my friend. Very enjoyable! 🙂

image.thumb.jpeg.1e136a28903a94189838aaa8aacc6458.jpeg

note: The large "Dracula" box, contains a 12 in. figure of Lee as Count Dracula, licenced by Hammer ( a wee bit pricey to track down today)

note 2: some of the boxed eds are brimming with nice releases!

- Hammer Film Edition (top left) from Studio Canal Germany (English friendly) 7 films

- Hammer Horror (black box with gold lettering, far right) from Shock Ent (Australia) has 17 films in it

- The Hammer Collection (black box red lettering furthest right) from Studio Canal, U.K. has 21 films!-

- The Indicator sets (UK) each contain 4 films and a plethora of extras!

- Hammer Horror (flat, left) by Universal, holds 8 films

- Hammer Horror Classics (flat, far right) by Warner Bros has 4 films

- Hammer House of Horror ( flat, front centre) holds the TV anthology series.

p.s. when time permits I'll take a quick pic of my Hammer books as well (oh and yes, that's a real stuffed cobra you see far left rising outta the basket of leaves) 🥰

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

^^ As I suspected, some great titles there @Veum 🤩

One you would find interest in picking up that was just released about half a year ago, is "Lust For A Vampire".

Not because it was such a great film but because it is Part 2 of what is called "The Karnstein Trilogy".

The other two being;

Pt-1: Vampire Lovers

Pt-3: Twins Of Evil

Both of which you have.

The films are not sequels mind in the true sense. Just that the same 'bad guy' is in them and they take place in the same 'world'.

Plus, the "Hammer Glamour" Hotties are in full view in this one, heh. 😛

• Like 1

Spoiler
2 hours ago, Grendel said:

One you would find interest in picking up that was just released about half a year ago, is "Lust For A Vampire".

Not because it was such a great film but because it is Part 2 of what is called "The Karnstein Trilogy".

The other two being;

Both of which you have.

The films are not sequels mind in the true sense. Just that the same 'bad guy' is in them and they take place in the same 'world'.

It’s b/c of you my friend @Grendel that I went & ordered “Lust For A Vampire” from Shout! Factory... are you a good or bad influence on me LOL 😂 

Also ordered these! hey:

DAA7D6FB-D3E1-4869-9004-E0B80A600714.png.f00472a208c812e70807bb7334df4fd6.png

image.jpeg.80b2855a19724c067c82d497f6875b86.jpeg

image.jpeg.4679007b9f24b7b106c7dfed960e0d5e.jpeg

image.jpeg.42d67850c32e70a37bde81d0659e759e.jpeg

Edited by Veum
  • Haha 1

^^ Oh no ya don't @Veum !

Ya ain't gonna lay the blame on me when the missus comes lookin' at the CC balance !

Y'all bought this coffin to fit one bod. Ain't no way yuz draggin' me in there wit ya varmint! 🤠

As for your order, great selection buddy! All 3 are an absolute hoot!

Bee Girls is akin to the 'Sharknado' fliks of today (with much better cleavage) and Drag That Gal To Hell is so hilarious, it's good!

Lust is campy fun and very easy on the eyes as well. I think there's some dialogue, I can't remember....🤡

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So much is happening here! I am not sure if I manage to answer everything :D I'll do a multi-quote to not forget anything :D

12 hours ago, Grendel said:

I'll respond to your Haunted Palace review in a bit pygospa but wanted to append some comments first to the 4K and Region Free discussions.

I can totally empathize with your rationale on delaying adoption of 4K as I find myself in similar circumstance.

I currently have a fair investment in my entertainment media equipment and have no desire to upgrade fully functioning machines just yet.

I have a Panasonic 3D / 65in television, an HD Yamaha Receiver for picture/sound pass through to TV and surround system and 2 Panasonic Blu-ray players, one Region A, the other Region ALL.

That's a fair amount of coin already but then also as you mentioned, I have a collection of about 3000 films in Blu-ray (about 2 dozen in 4K) that serve me well enough.

I'm also a bit long in the tooth and my vision has deteriorated over the past 10 years where the benefits of the improved resolution would not be either noticed nor appreciated.

So, like you, I'm in no hurry to 'upgrade', heh.

It's nice to hear that you can relate. Unfortunately most people cannot, and think that I am stupid for not going 4K. But as you can see, I've actually spend a lot of time thinking about it, and I even took a yardstick to a Media Markt and tested out different screen resolutions and sizes with the distance that I have at home, to see if and how these things would change. The only thing that I could actually see a difference in is the brightness of color, but even that rather depends on the technology of the TV (LED, QLED, OLED, etc.) rather than it's resolution. I do believe that it will be visible if you have a UHD vs a BD in direct comparisson, and I know that there are people who actually also see a different on a FullHD TV if the source is either UHD or BD. But I cannot - I tried it with my XBox and one of the 4K discs I own, and there is no difference. I guess it's more a psychological thing and I'd also love to get a new TV just because it's a new TV and mine is really old (approximately 10 years?), so it's definitely going to die rather sooner than later. But as long as it still works...

Now, I cannot champion the benefit of having a player that handles all region coding highly enough (I actually started with them in the dvd era).

Far too often in the past was I dismayed to see an outstanding edition being offered in another country that would be pointless to purchase, so in order to get the film, I'd need to settle on a mundane amaray cased offer. In some cases, the film wasn't even available in North America. I had to fix that dilemma pronto.

As to which is the better route to go, a different Region player or an ALL region player, the choice comes down to availability and reliability for each of us.

I am fortunate in the respect that in NA, we have a few, fully licenced dealers that sell modified players capable of region all play.

I've purchased 2 from "220 Electronics" in the USA. Both Panasonic and both still functioning impeccably.

I'm right now in the market for a 3rd, that I intend to send to my children, who live in Florida.

I do not know for certain what their shipping restrictions are (they state they ship worldwide though) but here's a link regardless for you.

At the very least, it will provide you a significant amount of info to read as to what exists on the market for these machines, 🙂;

Link: 220 Electronics:

https://www.220-electronics.com/

note: they also provide an international phone number (top of their page) and they have been quite cordial with me in the past when I deluged them with questions on the phone.

Thank you for the tipp. I looked them up and the cheapest model is 99$, and factoring in the weak US Dollar (I'm so sorry, but I love it, when that happens :D ), it's even cheaper (more than 10€ off that number). So including shipping (I guess) I would be around 100€ for a player, that's a great deal. And if they really work as good as you say, this is definitely a consideration. I'll ponder on this one. Thing is, I don't need Region C, and I got rid of all my non-region 2 DVDs, so I am not looking for that either - so all in all, a cheap Region A would be sufficient. Then again, having multiple devices and the need to predecide if the disc goes in this device or in that... I see myself doing it wrong all the time, and be pissed (yes that is as first-world-problem as you can get, I guess, but that's actually a factor I need to consider as well 🤪).

Purchasing a different region's player (i.e. an NA one in your case) and a power converter is of course the other option. However, you will need to ensure if you go that route, that either the player or your television, can adapt the signal from NTSC to PAL. Region ALL players are designed to do it on the fly, so ensure that whatever you purchase can do so as well, it's not just the voltage that is a concern.

Uhm... isn't this problem done with digital TV and the HDMI standard? At least I thought so. PAL and NTSC used to be different frame rates plus the question of interlacing vs. fixed images - if I remember correctly, NTSC used higher framerates + interlacing, while PAL had lower uninterlaced frames. These used to be fixed on TVs and VHS-Sets, but also Blu-ray. But having FullHD, TVs and players need to be able to do both, as there is  720/1080p and 720/1080i with different framerates and interlaced/uninterlaced. At least, that's what I always thought...

But thanks for the pointer, I'd probably spend some time reseraching this, before making a wrong decision :)

10 hours ago, Grendel said:

Indicator has been doing an absolutely incredible job, putting together box sets of some lesser known Hammer gems but not yet the biggest titles (i.e. Horror of Dracula / Curse Of Frankenstein / The Mummy) due to licenses held by Studio Canal and sigh, Mill Creek. Indicator just released Box 5 with no signs of slowing down yet...🙂

Mind, Hammer made more than just "Dark Fantasy" films like Dracula. They made a number of thrilling adventure films as well that don't receive the same amount of love as the considered 'classics' . Indicator is making great strides in correcting that oversight!

Regardless, some Studio Canal releases and the ones from Shock Entertainment (Australian) are quite decent, so I purchased them as well.

Below is an OLD pic from my collection gallery here of my Hammer collection.

I do need to update it though, as I've made a few purchases since that was taken, heh.

image.thumb.jpeg.1e136a28903a94189838aaa8aacc6458.jpeg

note: The large "Dracula" box, contains a 12 in. figure of Lee as Count Dracula, licenced by Hammer ( a wee bit pricey to track down today)

note 2: some of the boxed eds are brimming with nice releases!

- Hammer Film Edition (top left) from Studio Canal Germany (English friendly) 7 films

- Hammer Horror (black box with gold lettering, far right) from Shock Ent (Australia) has 17 films in it

- The Hammer Collection (black box red lettering furthest right) from Studio Canal, U.K. has 21 films!-

- The Indicator sets (UK) each contain 4 films and a plethora of extras!

- Hammer Horror (flat, left) by Universal, holds 8 films

- Hammer Horror Classics (flat, far right) by Warner Bros has 4 films

- Hammer House of Horror ( flat, front centre) holds the TV anthology series.

p.s. when time permits I'll take a quick pic of my Hammer books as well (oh and yes, that's a real stuffed cobra you see far left rising outta the basket of leaves) 🥰

Wow, that's a really beautiful collection, you've got there. Lovely! To go far afield: As a kid I was a vampire fanatic, and I loved reading and watching everything vampire related. So obviously I stumbled upon these Dracula movies by Christopher Lee. Now, I cannot remember which where the ones I watched and which I hadn't (I am pretty sure Dracula A.D. 1972 was among them). But that was about it. I never saw all of those Hammer movies, only the Dracula one (which I guess in Germany where the most famous. I cannot remember any of the others running on FreeTV, at least the Vampire ones I would have watched, if I had catched them). So I didn't even know what the Hammer sutdios where. I just stumbled upon these due to the fact that I met people who loved the Anolis releases and who where always talking about them and hoping for another release soon, and speculating which titles could be coming next. And because of this, I looked Hammer up, realized that it had these Dracula movies that I totally forgot about, and though: Why not give them a try? The first one I got was "The Vampire Lovers", and to be quite honest: I didn't like it too much, thinking to my self: Well, I tried, maybe this isn't for me. Then I started watching the extras, and a funny thing happend: This movie got more and more interesting to me, the more I found out about the background, the problems they had, the things they tried to convey, the tricks they used to pass things past the British censor office. I watched it once more and this time, seeing it with a different perspective, it was more interesting and fascinating.

I could have gotten any of the German boxsets, and it would have saved me a ton of money (with ~30€ per title, all of them cost a lot of money as it is, but a couple of them where rather hard to track down, and set me back quite a bit), but I decided to go just for the Anolis releases, due to this special experience I had with this first title. So up to this date I just got the Anolis releases, because they come with all these extras and every movie you watch is not just the movie, it's an entire evening, that you can spend with a couple of audio commentaries, the text in the booklet, plus all the interviews and featurettes. It's like a small lecture on one of these titles. And that's what I really love about these releases, and what I would miss on any of those Boxsets. However, that's probably not true for Indicator. And to be quite honest: I have eyeballing these releases for a while now, as they also don't have this focus on Horror that Anolis has, but go through the entire program; I only heard about Indicator a few months ago and never knew them before. Unfortunately the first of the Hammer boxsets was already sold out, so where a couple of titles that I would have gotten without a second thought (e.g. Christine, Vampires, Night of the Demon, See No Evil,  Happy Birthday to me, Sinbad-Box). So I am a bit hesitant, because I know myself. When I get into it, I get into it for good, and try to hunt those titles down - and prices that these titles are sold for on the second market are absurd. But yeah, I'd probably get those Hammer box sets sooner or later.

Maybe you can shed some light on the extras? I think that would be worth it's own thread maybe in the UK-Section forum. I'd love to see more of those, if you had the time for doing some photos and writing up some information on the release :)

But to sum it up: Here is my (nearly) entire Hammer Horror collection. Missing are the two titles Wicked did (Kiss of the Vamprie and House of Horror - which I btw. totally loved. Great stuff that Hammer did there).

image.thumb.png.9d635bd4164cafc8c6172be1cf76b8b3.png

9 hours ago, Grendel said:

The other two being;

Both of which you have.

Haha, that's the one I'm still missing as well. Anolis didn't release that one, yet. I hope it'll happen soon. It would be interesting to see how exactly these three connect; up to now I just saw Vampire Lovers. Twins of Evil was especially hard to track down, but I got really lucky and had a fair offer (45€) for that title as well as Curse of the Werewolf. These are two of the hardest titles to get from Anolis, nowadays. Together with their very first title, that unfortunately I am still missing (one of the Quatermas titles).

8 hours ago, Grendel said:

Oh, I completely glossed over the info you provided on the Blaxploitation releases @pygospa.

Not much more to say, they are good campy fun!

I do hope you were able to pick up the recent Kimchi release of "Jackie Brown" ?

You mentioned your affinity for Tarantino so I suspect you did...🙂

Uh, unfortunately I didn't. Hadn't watched for new KimchiDVD releases for a while now - wasn't too fond of the things they did lately. So another one I need to track down :( I've got all the other titles they did, though. I've got the NovaMedia releses though: Kill Bill 1+2 and Pulp Fiction in their one click boxsets, Reservoir Dogs just one of the Fullslips (I didn't like those designs too much, and therefore did not want to pay that much for the one-click). Plus the one-click from Kimchi, but that was decades ago. And of course I've got all of the titles in the Quentin Tarantino XX Boxset, and before that I had all of the DVDs :D

6 hours ago, Grendel said:

^^ Oh no ya don't @Veum !

Ya ain't gonna lay the blame on me when the missus comes lookin' at the CC balance !

Y'all bought this coffin to fit one bod. Ain't no way yuz draggin' me in there wit ya varmint! 🤠

@Veum I think we need to unite against him. You know, 'cause I'm a victim, too. Remember how I was not planning anything evil and only did some friendly presentations on some Wicked Vision titles, and "swoosh" in comes @Grendel, and a day later I am owning a copy of The Haunted Palace and The Masque of the Red Death. Still also with me, he denies any responsibility! Unbelievable! :D:D;)

• Like 2

Good Evening @pygospa, @Veum and others of course; 🙂

Wow, again, a lot of info in your post to study and reflect on pygospa!

Always worthwhile though buddy...🙂

Wrt a new player. I'd suggest it would be worthwhile to not scrimp on your selection my friend and look for a machine that you feel has quality build and will be reliable. Far more important than all the bells and whistles some now come with that honestly, I don't think many folk even use.

I'm sure everyone has their dedication to brands that have proven reliable and of good quality and two come to mind for me;

- Panasonic, and

- Sony

Years ago, I would have also put Phillips on the list but they've gone into different spheres than home entertainment as of late it would seem.

As this player should last you a good 8-10 years at least, I suppose it is worthwhile to get one 4K capable, as your next TV will no doubt be 4K whether you want it to be or not. 🙂

So, for the expectation of quality, performance and longevity in mind, I'd probably be looking to drop $200-$300.

It's too bad OPPO stopped making players. I have no idea why, as they sold their players faster than they could make them.

Even older ones command large coin to buy 2nd hand, they are/were that good.

I'm envious of your Anolis Hammer collection buddy. Very impressive indeed!

In the early 2000s, it was quite difficult to find a Hammer flik on Blu. Now, it's a decision of which edition to pick up!

First world problems indeed! I Love it, heh.

I started off with dvds of every Hammer I could lay my hands on to replace my vhs tapes. They were not exactly cheap either.

When the Blus starting coming out, I needed to pace myself, as again, they were far from cheap and I wasn't sure yet if I would be content with just the dvds for some of the B and C tier fliks or just buy Blus for the lot of 'em as they were released.

When the box sets started to appear, I saw a way to satisfy both issues (money and space) so concentrated on getting those.

Of course the A listers were never included but that's fine I could buy them stand alone.

Anolis was a bit late to the game with Hammer and though their MBs were beautiful, I had already sunk serious coin into my Hammer collection.

With Indicator continuing to release more box sets, I elected to stay on that path and forego the Anolis releases.

As with other genres, I'm slowly coming to the realization, I cannot buy everything...

I'm saddened to hear you missed out on the Kimchi "Jackie Brown".

It's a lovely release.

You may have luck finding one on the Bay and if you wish, I can keep an eye out for one as well.

I'll at least let you know if I spot one in a Blu-ray forum sales thread. 🙂

As for influences, heh, I think we all set ourselves up, when we joined this little club of ours, no?

Well, let's have fun while we are here!

Cheers folks; 🥰

• Like 2