Tired of evil 👿

Veum

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Veum @Fortis93

I don’t see what the problem is here in this particular case. The article specifically says it’s not changing anything from the movie. The movie will be presented as it was originally created.

All HBO is doing is basically having someone put the movie in its proper context, before the movie starts. That’s actually pretty smart of them. That way no one can try & paint the company in a particular light. 

Not to mention this is done all the time when I go see classic movies in the theaters. There is always a brief little presentation explaining behind the scenes stuff before the movie starts. It’s like a quick little documentary on the movie before it begins.

This is not the same as what they have decided to do to some of the characters in the NEW Looney Tunes show.

Changing classics so that they can fit the viewpoint of society currently is a no no, but adding a explanation before the movies to give the viewer proper context is responsible considering how history is poorly taught.

• Thanks 1

Gone With the Wind dropped from HBO Max over depiction of slavery
Temporary move followed call by 12 Years a Slave scriptwriter John Ridley for streaming services to review content that is ‘blatant in its demonisation’ of race

I guess it depends on what source you read huh...

Classic 1939 film 🎞 Gone with the Wind

• Like 1

If they end up limiting this type of historical framing to a select few films only it might end up coming across as being reactionary or performative, which you can argue it is to a certain extent from a more cynical marketing/business point of view on behalf of these companies and the public image they wish to uphold or project. 

I just worry that in this age of social media where things are held to greater levels of scrutiny that this might take away from the genuine need to inform and educate as people might see through this and consider it to be disingenuous, possibly tarnishing the validity of this endeavour and provide cause for people to disregard it. 

Edited by Fortis93
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Veum said:

Gone With the Wind dropped from HBO Max over depiction of slavery
Temporary move followed call by 12 Years a Slave scriptwriter John Ridley for streaming services to review content that is ‘blatant in its demonisation’ of race

I guess it depends on what source you read huh...

Classic 1939 film 🎞 Gone with the Wind

The link that you provided says

The streaming service added that the film would return to the platform accompanied by “a discussion of its historical context and a denouncement of those very depictions”, but would remain unaltered “because to do otherwise would be the same as claiming these prejudices never existed”.”

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Hollywood E Rock said:

The link that you provided says

The streaming service added that the film would return to the platform accompanied by “a discussion of its historical context and a denouncement of those very depictions”, but would remain unaltered “because to do otherwise would be the same as claiming these prejudices never existed”.”

There is 2 different links that say different wording... I do not trust any secular media period (I‘m just glad I have my blu copy of this great Civil War Classic in my collection)... “"I'll give you my blu when you pry (or take) it from my cold, dead hands" LOL 😂 

8 minutes ago, Fortis93 said:

If they end up limiting this type of historical framing to a select few films only it might end up coming across as being reactionary or performative, which you can argue it is to a certain extent from a cynical marketing/business point of view on behalf of these companies.

I just worry that in this age of social media where things are held to greater levels of scrutiny that this might take away from the genuine need to inform and educate as people might see through this and consider it to be disingenuous, possibly tarnishing the validity of this endeavour and provide cause for people to disregard it. 

What you’re saying is definitely a possibility, & if I was a betting man I would say that your worries are valid & that their will be some who definitely disregard the efforts, but that was going to happen anyways considering that viewers had to point out the problem before actions take place. I hope in the long ran this practice does more good than add more fuel to the fire of confusion and outrage.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Veum said:

There is 2 different links that say different wording... I do not trust any secular media period (I‘m just glad I have my blu copy of this great Civil War Classic in my collection)... “"I'll give you my blu when you pry (or take) it from my cold, dead hands" LOL 😂 

I agree media outlets can’t be trusted, but both articles are saying the same thing. Nothing is being changed they are adding something before the movie. I don’t see the reason in lying when the company would just face more backlash for doing so. They need this streaming service to be a success

And I think this is compounded by the notion (to me, anyway) that people are generally good at detecting instances when sincerity in altruistic or humanitarian endeavours or a lack thereof is the driving force behind something, especially now more than ever. 

Edited by Fortis93

4 minutes ago, Hollywood E Rock said:

I agree media outlets can’t be trusted, but both articles are saying the same thing. Nothing is being changed they are adding something before the movie. I don’t see the reason in lying when the company would just face more backlash for doing so. They need this streaming service to be a success

I’m so glad I do not steam that much!😊

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Veum said:

I’m so glad I do not steam that much!😊

Well it’s definitely better to own your favorites because a lot of titles don’t stay on the service anyways to keep demand up. They put movies up, take movies down, & put them back up again.

It’s nothing new, but it’s annoying if you don’t own a movie & you go to the service to find out they have taken the movie down. Then you either buy it or wait for them to put the film back up. I usually end up buying it if it’s a film I know is good.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fortis93 said:

I don't stream that much either, but I am kind of pissed that The Criterion Channel isn't available for us down here. 😄

Are you able to get in on the Barnes and Noble Criterion sales over here in the USA 🇺🇸 from Australia 🇦🇺?🤔

I get most of my Criterion’s on that sale ^^^ & on Criterion.com when they have their sales for those particular titles I want!😉

Edited by Veum
  • Like 1

DON’T Mess with Texas “ALAMO”

YEAH!!!👊

Texas Land Commissioner Warns Protesters "Don't Mess With The Alamo"

image.jpeg.2e217f76fc5ef77ac94bd881168dce18.jpeg

Texas Land Commissioner George P. Bush has a warning for anyone planning to target The Alamo with graffiti or rioting, "Don't mess with The Alamo."

“The Alamo is the Shrine of Texas liberty. And it will be defended,” Bush said in a tweet. “Rest assured we have already deployed, for several weeks and will continue to do so, the Alamo Rangers in partnership with the SAPD, The Department of Public Safety, and the National Guard to protect this sacred site. My message to the protesters is simple. Don't mess with The Alamo.”

12 minutes ago, Fortis93 said:

As if there wasn't enough of history repeating itself, there's now have the possibility of Texans having to defend The Alamo against outside forces.

Yep, these rioters, looters, evildoers are trying to take advantage (for their own evil purposes mind you) of the tremendous tragedy with these uncalled for shootings, deaths which I CONDEMN BTW for those who do not believe me (you know who you are) am against. 😢 

Our country is hurting tremendously IT IS A SPIRITUAL issue whether people believe this or not, just plain sad and pathetic for me. 😞 😢 

Edited by Veum

Oh my gosh, here we go again... when will this insanity stop 🛑 

‘Cancel Culture’  has struck again 😠 

1st there was Paws Patrol (a kiddie animal cop show oh my how terrible) 

then Cops show (just happened to be the best rated TV show over the yrs.)

then one of the longest & most Popular TV 📺 Shows Law & Order

& now the beloved 70’s DUKES OF HAZZARD (I’m glad I have my copies of this beloved series)

WHATS NEXT???

The act of canceling, also referred to as cancel culture (a variant on the term "callout culture") describes a form of boycott in which an individual (usually a celebrity) who has shared a questionable or controversial opinion, or has had behavior in their past that is perceived to be offensive recorded on social media ...

Amazon Might Remove ‘Dukes of Hazzard’ From IMDb TV Over Confederate Flag Imagery

image.thumb.jpeg.36ce7eafd9f2f39ed96e3d1289f7cdad.jpeg

amazon may pull dukes of hazzard confederate flag