IGNORED

The Pit and the Pendulum [1991] (Wicked Vision Full Moon Collection #05) (Blu-ray/DVD Mediabook) [Germany]

pygospa

Release: ?

Link (Wicked Shop): ?

Price: ?

Limited: ?

94537450_2610531549050700_8173045541328912384_o.thumb.jpg.93b1f3dc5c1ed1044d12b5b23148898d.jpg

When Wicked Vision announced this title I was pretty irritated. Normally, Wicked Vision does not do re-releases of titles already releases, especially a few years ago in a Mediabook. And I did own this title in a Mediabook by NSM; or so I thought. So be aware: There are actually two "The Pit and the Pendulum" movies, one from 1961 by Roger Corman starring Vincent Price, Barbara Steele and John Kerr - that's the one I already own. And one from 1991 by Stuart Gordon starring Lance Henriksen, Jeffrey Combs and Oliver Reed - that's the one I though I had (hadn't watched the NSM edition yet), and that's the one that Wicked Vision will release. This is actually a movie I've already seen and it was produced by Full Moon Features and as such it will be the fifth entry in Wicked Visions "Full Moon Collection" - that's the Mediabook series (they also have the "Full Moon Classic Selection" that comes in Scanavo Fullsleeve Keepcases).

As for the Covers, we again have the classic poster artwork as Cover A, Cover B is probably a Ralf Krause artwork (who is rather famous as a movie artworker), and cover C is once more a Timo Würz artwork. Both these artworks exclusively commissioned for this release. The Mediabook will come with a 24 page booklet and will also feature the original soundtrack on CD.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wicked Vision has been really busy posting a lot of information on coming releases - as far as I know they have problems in production due to Corona, which is why all of these will come much later than expected, but therefore all the work on artwork etc. is already done, so that's probably the reason he's posting so much these days.

For this one my cover choice is quite easy once more: Cover C. Though I have to say I love the drawing style of Ralf Krause (it's pretty unique and easily to make out), I am often torn between the covers - I don't like the ones that look too much like lose elements of the movie wildly combined together. This one does that as well, yet it doesn't look too bad while doing so. I find it pretty decent. Yet, Cover C is my favorite. If you enlarge it, you'll see that it looks like an oil painting which is really great and something different to all the other artworks you typically get. I also love the color selection - it's something different. I really like it. That's my choice :D

Which one will you choose?

• Like 3

Ya know, I unfairly boycotted this film for like forever, since I had such deep respect for the Corman/Price original.

I've since seen a few clips, including the trailer above, and I think I should give it a go. 🙂

The three stars in it are certainly all on my 'fave actors' list so yeah, gonna get this. Thanks again @pygospa  🤩

As for covers, well, Cover A was one of the things that turned me off the flik in the first place, so that's outta here.

Cover B is very beautifully done and the art speaks volumes on what is in store for the viewer!

Cover C, has that eerie mysticism to it I quite like and the colour scheme was a bold choice.

Hmm... I'm leaning toward Cover B. It just says so much in a single pic without giving too much away. 🙂

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Veum said:

I've never seen this version of The Pit and the Pendulum?!🤔

Any good?

It's been a really long time since I saw this. Long ago on television if I remember correctly. And I liked it, it was pretty decent. I don't know the Vincent Price one, though. But from what I can tell, the story is quite different. But even though I might remember it wrongly or my taste might have changed, I think Lance Henriksen is great. You might know him from Aliens, Alien 3, Alien vs Predator, or Scream 3 and so many more good movies. Great actor. And then there's also Oliver Reed. I think it's worth a watch alone for these two actors :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, pygospa said:

It's been a really long time since I saw this. Long ago on television if I remember correctly. And I liked it, it was pretty decent. I don't know the Vincent Price one, though. But from what I can tell, the story is quite different. But even though I might remember it wrongly or my taste might have changed, I think Lance Henriksen is great. You might know him from Aliens, Alien 3, Alien vs Predator, or Scream 3 and so many more good movies. Great actor. And then there's also Oliver Reed. I think it's worth a watch alone for these two actors :)

Oh @pygospa, you have got to see the classic The Pit and the Pendulum (1961) w/ Vincent Price (it is priceless LOL😝) right way kind sir!🤔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well I do own that one already. Just didn't get around watching it, yet. But I will watch it :)
Already heard about the other Corman/Poe/Price films. If there are decent blu-ray releases (Steelbook/Mediabook/Arrow/Indicator/Eureka), I'll most definitely get them into my collection :)

But it's 2 a.m. now, I need to get some sleep :D Good night, guys!

20200531_020849.jpg

• Like 2

Spoiler
5 minutes ago, pygospa said:

Well I do own that one already. Just didn't get around watching it, yet. But I will watch it :)
Already heard about the other Corman/Poe/Price films. If there are decent blu-ray releases (Steelbook/Mediabook/Arrow/Indicator/Eureka), I'll most definitely get them into my collection :)

But it's 2 a.m. now, I need to get some sleep :D Good night, guys!

20200531_020849.jpg

Good night buddy @pygospa😴

Talk to you tomorrow!😊

• Like 1

Okay, so here's a listing of all the Corman/Poe/Price fliks in sequential order based on year released.

All of these, have been released by Arrow Video and I believe that most if not all, are still available at both Zavvi and Amazon.uk as well as Arrow Video's own web-site.

What ones are also in MediaBook format, I cannot give a fair estimation. I know I have a couple at least (via Koch Media) but after already investing fair coin in both the Scanavo and SteelBook covers from Arrow, I was pretty tapped out...heh. 🙂

- image.jpeg.f7673d22a174c9cefe17e3c94a912eee.jpeg   image.jpeg.56fc6fae08e16ef3032dda2d06b8de9b.jpeg   image.jpeg.b02e2dd6aea706a519a7e1a517b6778f.jpeg   image.jpeg.a6320ba536306272d4ea6c3d0a0dc695.jpeg   image.jpeg.64bf25193535c88a5fc431c5155dbd80.jpeg   image.jpeg.d6e759e0f327a13a89e55ec7398946a9.jpeg   image.jpeg.b614f446de1239d99d89e7978c4c35e3.jpeg   image.jpeg.c7beafc2151b62fe374db02e4d75b94d.jpeg 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0VI5WlKGQ2RrdO9tUy3T

No Vincent but also canon;

The Terror 

Also This;

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ4RflD0-7H48A2NXKz7Y4

I'll save any additional points of interest for discussion, should there be any...🙂 

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Grendel said:

Okay, so here's a listing of all the Corman/Poe/Price fliks in sequential order based on year released.

All of these, have been released by Arrow Video and I believe that most if not all, are still available at both Zavvi and Amazon.uk as well as Arrow Video's own web-site.

What ones are also in MediaBook format, I cannot give a fair estimation. I know I have a couple at least (via Koch Media) but after already investing fair coin in both the Scanavo and SteelBook covers from Arrow, I was pretty tapped out...heh. 🙂

Thanks for the list, buddy. As we are here in the Mediabook section of this forum I took the liberty to look up if there are any mediabook titles (some I know by heart) for these - just if you are interested. I'll go through them title by title:

• House of Usher
    Friends of Wicked Vision, you are in luck. Daniel did this a while ago, and because he liked this movie so much he released five different cover versions. In German it is called "Die Verfluchten" (The Damned). I'm not sure if this is the only edition but Wicked says it's an extended edition because they added an Overture at the beginning of the movie that was long lost, adding 3 Minutes to the run time to the normal cut. Plus 300 Minutes of extras.
    52265958_1826082240828972_9005272394973052928_o.thumb.jpg.1fc916eb85595073e2a16779c5c6a72c.jpg

• The Pit and the Pendulum
    As already mentioned, there's a NSM Records release in three different covers for this title. These are individually numbered, to A: 500, B: 333, and C : 666 copies, but they don't have too much love put into them, I'd say: Only a 12-paged booklet, and two audio commentaries, one in English by Roger Corman himself, and the German one by *drumroll* Daniel Perée (founder of Wicked Vision) - the world is small :D
    91Dj3PSJqPL._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.0eb2a3eb5a1f8b08f55f6c10baa068b5.jpg91XTLWyCMyL._SY606_.jpg.308f9f0b7533aee19da252a21ec42083.jpg81w9TbD4c5L._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.5d04785aaaeb337aa228f3a2cacf9bba.jpg

• The Masque of the Red Death
    This one has a really strange title in Germany, and it even gets stranger as "The Oblong Box" is actually translated to something rather similar to the "Masque of Red Death", so I was puzzled for a wile while googling. But yeah, the German title is "Satanas - Das Schloss der blutigen Bestie" (Satanas - Castle of the bloody beast). And apparently in Germany there is a label called "Hansesound" - I have never heard of them before, and looking them up, they didn't do too many releases till now, but all classic Western and a couple of Price movies as well (including "The Haunted Palace"). Never seen any release by this label though, no
    1778997286_81KCDYvaPL._SL1200_.thumb.jpg.4365af965cefb4743b521d5115f686d6.jpg

• Tomb of Ligeia
    Here there is a Koch Mediabook, I had it in my hands a couple of time but didn't take it home with me :(guess it's sold out now. Koch Media does decent work, not always perfect but far from bad, and this release has a 16-paged booklet, four interviews with different people that worked on the movie, two audio commentaries (one with Elizabeth Shepherd, one with Roger Corman) and - interesting for Germans - with two different dubbings of the movie (probably a new one that is somewhat corrected and the original one for fans of it).
    DasGrabderLygeia-MediabookCoverA.thumb.jpg.3624a51b26909afb0a323170a1ccfccb.jpgDasGrabderLygeia-MediabookCoverB.thumb.jpg.7afedb5bdb2e264067a11f847b2338e3.jpg

• Tales of Terror
    In Germany this is called "Der Grauenvolle Mr. X" (The cruel Mr. X), and it was released by Anolis in their Phantastische Klassiker - Die 60er digibook series with spine no. 4. And I've already spoken about it in great length in this thread, so just go there to see all the information :)
  • The Raven
    Again, this is released by NSM Records, with three different cover artworks, that are individually numbered, with these limitations: A: 444, B: 333 and C : 222. It's again rather rare on the extras, but the booklet has 4 more pages (16) and again, we get an audio commentary by Daniel Perée (founder of Wicked Vision).
    81amHQXsY3L._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.5e9d04d34fc0e09a40f9a363e09a829e.jpg815jnQ8riVL._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.92babc9b3ac5dddff33bef1273917c95.jpg161433_front.thumb.jpg.1c361458324a3e1ce1386252e379df1b.jpg

• The Premature Burial
    Unfortunately, German rights for this one reside by a label who's label boss is a criminal (forcing German forums to delete critical posts about their products by legal force, threatening YouTubers with violence who criticize their products, steeling artworks from foreign artist without paying them, lying to customers and making false promises), so I won't make any advertisement for them.

• The Haunted Palace
    There are a two Mediabooks from the same label I mentioned above - I won't buy this label and I won't do advertisement for them. However, there is also a release by Hansesound, with a 16-paged booklet. Again, I do not know them, so not sure what to expect. Maybe I'll get one of these, then I'll present them here.
    713nN5SEzgL._SL1200_.thumb.jpg.a15e956481a246b7d3bcfe01013739b1.jpg

• The Oblong Box
    As mentioned above, this one has a strange German title: "In the Grip of Death of the Red Mask" - quite similar to the "Masque of Red Death", which is why I actually found this one when searching for "Masque of Red Death" mediabooks. This one is released by MSN Records in six(!) different covers, but each of them only limited to 111 copies. There is an audio commentary an interview and a 16-paged booklet:
    71W4oBkh1cL._SL1000_.thumb.jpg.f0a62c9e6fa96b868b751783a79f2170.jpg712iBW-f9vL._SL1000_.thumb.jpg.c0cb1ac1d6fda4c1d8b1970a72831e83.jpg616fjdoB1NL._SL1000_.thumb.jpg.87b2cbd35aeee4a102277a8523df073d.jpg71YRo0uonOL._SL1000_.thumb.jpg.523a3d90daead7c693152c2619beabae.jpg
    71AoKJKdxoL._SL1000_.thumb.jpg.ab3d782ce56c9f9965fa6fad1049b306.jpg61h74yLfMCL._SL1000_.thumb.jpg.2b6e5b2c731337604288de29c0d87593.jpg

For the last two I couldn't find any information. But yeah. If you are here because you like Mediabooks, here's your shopping list :D

• Thanks 2

Whew!

Well, first off, that is indeed a lovely box set from Arrow @RAK ! 🤩

I wish it had been released before I had already purchased majority of the titles, heh. (nice price currently at only 50 quid for the lot!)

Did you pick it up?

Next, again an exhaustive compilation of great info @pygospa, thanks very much as they all look beautiful! 🥰

I appreciate you mentioning the extras provided for most of them, as that can certainly tempt me into a double (triple?) dip.

Sad to here about the neanderthal goon running that one particular operation. I'd appreciate it if you would tell me their name, so I can boycott them. 🙂

Since Daniel put so much effort into "House Of Usher" I suspect I'll place an order for that one soon.

As to which ones I'd grab 1st, if needed it;

- The Pit and the Pendulum (Corman version)

- The Fall of the House Of Usher

- Masque of the Red Death

- Tomb Of Ligea

- The Oblong Box

- The Haunted Palace

All of the rest are certainly excellent and deserve picking up as well of course but the ones listed are my fave to start with.

Thanks again! 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Grendel said:

Whew!

Well, first off, that is indeed a lovely box set from Arrow @RAK ! 🤩

I wish it had been released before I had already purchased majority of the titles, heh. (nice price currently at only 50 quid for the lot!)

Did you pick it up?

Next, again an exhaustive compilation of great info @pygospa, thanks very much as they all look beautiful! 🥰

I appreciate you mentioning the extras provided for most of them, as that can certainly tempt me into a double (triple?) dip.

Sad to here about the neanderthal goon running that one particular operation. I'd appreciate it if you would tell me their name, so I can boycott them. 🙂

Since Daniel put so much effort into "House Of Usher" I suspect I'll place an order for that one soon.

As to which ones I'd grab 1st, if needed it;

- The Pit and the Pendulum (Corman version)

- The Fall of the House Of Usher

- Masque of the Red Death

- Tomb Of Ligea

- The Oblong Box

- The Haunted Palace

All of the rest are certainly excellent and deserve picking up as well of course but the ones listed are my fave to start with.

Thanks again! 😀

I was thinking of buying it, and yes the price is very good for it being a 6 movie Boxset. I already have 

these, but may get the Boxset anyways.

B5BFECED-E3EE-4151-AF4C-7BF941336ADF.jpeg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Grendel said:

^^ Excellent grabs @RAK 😀

I also took notice of the other titles on the shelf behind them...

Beautiful collection buddy! 🤩

Oh thanks. I don’t get a lot of arrow there selection isn’t as good as Scream Factory. But there Blu-Ray quality is better. I have to pick and choose 😂. But slowly building both collections up with some back catalogued items. 

• Like 2