Jump to content
THECROWANDSTING

Help with my new home theater setup.

Recommended Posts

I have a mitsubishi  WD-82738 82'' 3D rear projection tv I want to upgrade. I would like to get something for the new 4k ultra hd but I also want 3d. The tv I have now is active shutter 3d. Was thinking of going with passive 3d.  I'm having trouble deciding on which to go with an oled or home projector. Before I got the mitsubishi i had bought one of the led samsung #D tv's. I tried to watch my bloody valentine 3d on it but the image was horrible in dark scenes it looks like someone is shinning a flashlight towards the center of the tv from all 4 corners. Not sure if they have fixed that yet or not.  I'm getting ready to have a new man cave and can be total darkness I have not decided to put in windows or not. my dad used to run the projector at a drive in and the guy that train him worked at the theater so I have been around movies pretty much my whole life. Sometimes my research takes for ever. I'm hoping you guys can help me out.  I have looked up tons of post and reviews. But It's all starting to run together. lol . So if you guys have any recommendations or advice please let me know what you think. Thanks everyone for your help.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards

On 01/06/2017 at 4:01 AM, THECROWANDSTING said:

I have a mitsubishi  WD-82738 82'' 3D rear projection tv I want to upgrade. I would like to get something for the new 4k ultra hd but I also want 3d. The tv I have now is active shutter 3d. Was thinking of going with passive 3d.  I'm having trouble deciding on which to go with an oled or home projector. Before I got the mitsubishi i had bought one of the led samsung #D tv's. I tried to watch my bloody valentine 3d on it but the image was horrible in dark scenes it looks like someone is shinning a flashlight towards the center of the tv from all 4 corners. Not sure if they have fixed that yet or not.  I'm getting ready to have a new man cave and can be total darkness I have not decided to put in windows or not. my dad used to run the projector at a drive in and the guy that train him worked at the theater so I have been around movies pretty much my whole life. Sometimes my research takes for ever. I'm hoping you guys can help me out.  I have looked up tons of post and reviews. But It's all starting to run together. lol . So if you guys have any recommendations or advice please let me know what you think. Thanks everyone for your help.

I'm like you, I love to the read the home cinema magazines and see what the best new kit out there is. Over the years all my kit has been award winning thanks to mags like Home Cinema Choice. When it comes to a new TV you have a bit of a problem as basically 99% are UHD only this year with the larger companies choosing to drop 3D and push hard on UHD because it hasn't been selling very well.

You are right Samsungs first and second generation active 3D sets were problematic with some being perfect but many having problems, but after their second gen models the problems were resolved and they became the market leader in 3D by a very very long way. I upgraded to a 3D model a the end of last summer before the new ranges came out and I tested Panasonic, LG and Sony 65inch models and all were very good but the Samsung pretty much wiped the floor with all of them on virtually every level. Samsung are pretty much the best now in televisions and the tech they have on their sets make the rest look pretty average, and thats coming from someone who was always a Panasonic fanboy for many years. That said you still have the problem of no 3D this year.

If you are going to have a room with blackout conditions then I would seriously start looking at projectors as many include both UHD and 3D, invest in a good quality screen by the likes of Stewart and you will have a stunning set up. Some of the recent projectors are amazing quality image wise with good blacks and vivid colours.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards

On 1.6.2017 at 7:01 AM, THECROWANDSTING said:

I have a mitsubishi  WD-82738 82'' 3D rear projection tv I want to upgrade. I would like to get something for the new 4k ultra hd but I also want 3d. The tv I have now is active shutter 3d. Was thinking of going with passive 3d.  I'm having trouble deciding on which to go with an oled or home projector. Before I got the mitsubishi i had bought one of the led samsung #D tv's. I tried to watch my bloody valentine 3d on it but the image was horrible in dark scenes it looks like someone is shinning a flashlight towards the center of the tv from all 4 corners. Not sure if they have fixed that yet or not.  I'm getting ready to have a new man cave and can be total darkness I have not decided to put in windows or not. my dad used to run the projector at a drive in and the guy that train him worked at the theater so I have been around movies pretty much my whole life. Sometimes my research takes for ever. I'm hoping you guys can help me out.  I have looked up tons of post and reviews. But It's all starting to run together. lol . So if you guys have any recommendations or advice please let me know what you think. Thanks everyone for your help.

Might be helpful if you gave somekind of price range. And IF you have gathered somekind of list of possible contenters.

Just a thought.

Edited by nefilim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards

looking at

lg 75UH8500 tv

lg OLED77G6P tv

Sony 940d tv

sony VPLVW675ES home projector or something similar. 

 

the sony projector is around 15,000 don't want to go over that price but would like to find something cheaper but don't want to sacrifice quality. 

I'm not sure how my mitsubishi compares to these. I guess as long as i'm bettering myself. What do you guys think the better 3d tech is, Passive or active? I have active now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards

16 minutes ago, psychoscot said:

I'd go for the samsung 75inch MU6100 over any of those, fully certified HDR it wipes the floor with them. Its easily the best 75inch on the market image quality wise

Can you send me a link please and I will check it out. I had a samsung rear projection tv but it went out pretty fast I did like it though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards

1 hour ago, THECROWANDSTING said:

looking at

lg 75UH8500 tv

lg OLED77G6P tv

Sony 940d tv

sony VPLVW675ES home projector or something similar. 

 

the sony projector is around 15,000 don't want to go over that price but would like to find something cheaper but don't want to sacrifice quality. 

I'm not sure how my mitsubishi compares to these. I guess as long as i'm bettering myself. What do you guys think the better 3d tech is, Passive or active? I have active now

I read quite alot about those when I was looking for my first 3D tv. Went for passive just because they are easier on the eye and bought mid range tv. Haven't regretted. But in high end models active tends to better choice (from what I've read ... tho long time ago). But have heard stories of people watching  almost 3 hour movies with active 3D and getting dizzy or head ache. But if you hadn't had those problems so far I guess you don't get them in the future ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards

1 hour ago, THECROWANDSTING said:

Can you send me a link please and I will check it out. I had a samsung rear projection tv but it went out pretty fast I did like it though.

Sorry got the model number wrong its the MU8000 certified Crystal colour tv.

Heres a links to details about it

HERE

I'd also look at the 75inch Q&F QLED model which has been winning a lot of attention and rave reviews. If I had the funds this is pretty much the only TV I'd even consider

HERE

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards

5 hours ago, psychoscot said:

Sorry got the model number wrong its the MU8000 certified Crystal colour tv.

Heres a links to details about it

HERE

I'd also look at the 75inch Q&F QLED model which has been winning a lot of attention and rave reviews. If I had the funds this is pretty much the only TV I'd even consider

HERE

 

 

 

I don't think either one of these samsungs have 3d. I might be looking over it though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards

Nefilim I don't think i have ever had a headache or dizzy after watching one with active glasses. The sony VPLVW675ES home projector I found a used one on amazon and asked the seller what 3d glasses it used active or passive and they said it did both. Doesn't sound right to me. But not sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards

6 hours ago, THECROWANDSTING said:

Nefilim I don't think i have ever had a headache or dizzy after watching one with active glasses. The sony VPLVW675ES home projector I found a used one on amazon and asked the seller what 3d glasses it used active or passive and they said it did both. Doesn't sound right to me. But not sure. 

Sounds weird. IMO it's active.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards

1 hour ago, THECROWANDSTING said:

The ones I listed have 3d passive. But I think they are last years model. 

You are right, missed that. Both LG's have passive 3D as they are both last years models The OLED gets very good reviews across the net, but the UH8500 doesn't, its over priced and doesn't get high reviews on its image quality. The OLED would definitely be the one to go for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards

I really would also look into a JVC projector ;)

I will never trade a projector for a TV. It´s amazing what you can get in your room, if you´ve a screen (3-4m wide) and a projector. I also have a TV but just for series - for movies I always go to my home theater.
Is the OLED technology good enough? Or do the picture will loose his brilliance?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards

On 6/17/2017 at 4:03 AM, javi said:

I really would also look into a JVC projector ;)

I will never trade a projector for a TV. It´s amazing what you can get in your room, if you´ve a screen (3-4m wide) and a projector. I also have a TV but just for series - for movies I always go to my home theater.
Is the OLED technology good enough? Or do the picture will loose his brilliance?

 

Do you have a model of a jvc that you would recommend I take a look at?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards

I´m still using my HD350 ?

But I will upgrade the next year...and I have a X5500 or X7500 in mind. They look really amazing. Especially the black is one of the best I´ve ever seen.

I compared it to a few Sony and Epson.

The Sony has native 4K - but this doesn´t matter for me, because, the difference between native 4K and the e-shift 4K is not that big and also depends on the material. If the material is perfect native 4K, then I´ll see a small difference, BUT if it´s the normal pseudo 4K stuff you can buy...nope!

I can see the difference of perfect native 4K material on a Sony and a JVC, but if I don´t have a possibility to switch between the two projectors within a blink of an eye, as I have it at the home theater store, to compare the same frame on my screen over and over again, then it doesn´t matter for me.

So I´ll be very happy with the picture and don´t think of any other projectors anymore. 

 

But both projectors have their weaknesses -  for example:

JVC no natike 4K as Sony and Sony not nearly the deep black as a JVC.

and some more...but I´ve no further proof of the drift problems or something else, so I wouldn´t say anything ?

Edited by javi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards

7 minutes ago, javi said:

I´m still using my HD350 1f602.png

But I will upgrade the next year...and I have a X5500 or X7500 in mind. They look really amazing. Especially the black is one of the best I´ve ever seen.

I compared it to a few Sony and Epson.

The Sony has native 4K - but this doesn´t matter for me, because, the difference between native 4K and the e-shift 4K is not that big and also depends on the material. If the material is perfect native 4K, then I´ll see a small difference, BUT if it´s the normal pseudo 4K stuff you can buy...nope!

I can see the difference of perfect native 4K material on a Sony and a JVC, but if I don´t have a possibility to switch between the two projectors within a blink of an eye, as I have it at the home theater store, to compare the same frame on my screen over and over again, then it doesn´t matter for me.

So I´ll be very happy with the picture and don´t think of any other projectors anymore. 

 

But both projectors have their weaknesses -  for example:

JVC no natike 4K as Sony and Sony not nearly the deep black as a JVC.

and some more...but I´ve no further proof of the drift problems or something else, so I wouldn´t say anything 1f913.png

I got a JVC X500 and it is awesome. Always had Epson but this JVC takes contrast to a whole new level :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


About us

We are a great site committed to bringing together Collectors from all around the globe . Our main objective is to bring awareness of all the different types of Media from all around the world.  Come join our Discussions and let us learn from one another.  We also offer Groupbuys at Cost.  We offer many more things then your average Community. Come in and try us , we are sure you will Like us for sure.

Get in touch

Have any questions ? We are here to help in any way we can

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy