IGNORED

Tales of Terror [dt. Der Grauenvolle Mr. X] (Anolis Phantastische Klassiker - Die 60er #04) (Blu-ray Mediabook) [Germany]

pygospa

Release: 09.04.2020

Link (Wicked Shop*): Cover A, Cover B

Price: ~ €30,00 (depending on the shop)

89829686_10158927174674672_3837705788969713664_n.png.1517d484defbbe56937b5831fbefd5e9.png

Time for another classic movie, this time from Anolis who in Germany are rather famous for their "Hammer Horror Series", but who also started a new Series that itself spawned three sub-series. In their "fantastic classic" series which Anolis started in 2017 they release international movies from different studios in Mediabooks (Digibooks**), and they divide them into decades. Up to now there's "The 60's", "The 70's" and "The 80's", each with its consecutive numbering on the spine. These editions - same as with the Hammer Horror Series - are rather limited (though there is no information on how many, nor any individual numbering) and sell out rather fast. They come with an exclusive and extensive thick booklet (unfortunately only in German) with lots of different cover artworks and a large number of bonus features (including audio commentaries that are sometimes in English, and exclusive new fetaures).

The number 4 of the "60's" series is the American International Pictures title "Tales of Terror", which in German is called "Der Grauenvolle Mr. X" (The gruesome Mr. X), an anthology film consisting of three short movies that where produced and directed by 'The Pope of Pop Cinema' Roger Corman, and all staring Vincent Price. All three parts are based on short stories by E. A. Poe, and as such this is part of the "Corman-Poe cycle", i.e. 8 films Roger Corman did that where all based on works of E. A. Poe, that - with the exception of "The Premature Burial" - all stared Vincent Price.

Cover A shows the German movie poster that is a slight variation of elements form the English/International movie poster; for Cover B they chose the rare Italian alternative movie poster. A feature that Anolis is pointing out is a 50 minutes bonus documentary that was exclusively commissioned for this edition from "Diabolique Films" who interviewed Roger Corman. This will probably be in English and could be interesting for you as well.

I'll close, as usually, with the trailer:

*) This is not a Wicked-Shop exclusive title, but usually is only carried by specialized movie stores in Germany and Austria. I'd usually link another shop here which I had made good experiences with, but I was asked not to link them here, which I'll respect. I also like Wicked a lot, so it's a good replacement; however they have a really limited quantity, and might run out faster than others - keep that in mind. I did not link Amazon, because Amazon directly doesn't get them, and companies selling them via Amazon usually calculate an audacious surcharge.

**) One can argue if a single tray Blu-ray only package would still count as a Mediabook; however they are also not consequent in this regard - some of their releases are double-trays, some are single trays but with really think trays so you couldn't tell them apart from just the spine size.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As someone who likes classic horror movies and also someone who has fun collecting series I of course ordered one myself. For me it's cover B, as I like my covers to be a wholesome artwork and not some collage of different things. Also I like the art style more on this one. I haven't seen the movies yet, though. Oh, and for completion's sake: There are also releases of this movie by "Kino Lorber" in US and CAN in a blue Amaray, as well as in Spain. And in UK you have a beautiful cover artwork in clear Amaray by Arrow video. But all of them will of course be missing this new exclusive extra that is on  Anolis' release.

Anyone else getting one of these? And if so, which? Or do you own other releases of the movie (and if so, which)? Does anyone know the movie? Is it any good?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Spoiler
On 3/17/2020 at 4:07 AM, pygospa said:

As someone who likes classic horror movies and also someone who has fun collecting series I of course ordered one myself. For me it's cover B, as I like my covers to be a wholesome artwork and not some collage of different things. Also I like the art style more on this one. I haven't seen the movies yet, though. Oh, and for completion's sake: There are also releases of this movie by "Kino Lorber" in US and CAN in a blue Amaray, as well as in Spain. And in UK you have a beautiful cover artwork in clear Amaray by Arrow video. But all of them will of course be missing this new exclusive extra that is on  Anolis' release.

Anyone else getting one of these? And if so, which? Or do you own other releases of the movie (and if so, which)? Does anyone know the movie? Is it any good?

3 minutes ago, pygospa said:

I've ordered this via Wicked Vision and today it came with all my other editions. It's really beautiful I totally enjoyed it, and the booklet is so thick! Looking forward to seeing this:

20200409_164304.jpg

20200409_164414.jpg

20200409_164332.jpg

20200409_164433.jpg

20200409_164537.jpg

20200409_164614.jpg

20200409_164558.jpg

20200409_164512.jpg

20200409_164528.jpg

20200409_164451.jpg

20200409_164522.jpg

20200409_164459.jpg

20200409_164445.jpg

20200409_164633.jpg

Yeah my friend @pygospa I have both of those from here in America, although you have better covers IMHO, though I will not double-dip with those!😉