Casiusco

List of best films in the last decade (2010-2019)

A decade is time enough for many things. And many things have changed in the last 10 years. It's funny, because I didn't have the impression that it would have been a great decade of great movies, but the truth is that there have been many good examples.

And in this time of lists and ratings, I've made my own list. I'm sure I've forgotten more than one, but these are for me the 40 best movies of the last decade.

1. Inland Empire (David Lynch)

2. Melancholia (Lars Von Trier)

3. The Irishman (Martin Scorsese)

4. Interstellar (Christopher Nolan)

5. The Master (Paul Thomas Anderson)

6. La grande bellezza (Paolo Sorrentino)

7. Cold War (Pawel Pawlikowski)

8. Nocturnal animals (Tom Ford)

9. Phantom Thread (Paul Thomas Anderson)

10. Cemetery of Splendour (Apichatpong Weerasethakul)

11. Le livre d’image (Jean-Luc Godard)

12. Incendies (Denis Villeneuve)

13. Paterson (Jim Jarmusch)

14. Parasite (Bong Joon-ho)

15. La la land (Damien Chazelle)

16. Gone girl (David Fincher)

17. Lucky (John Carrol Lynch)

18. Her (Spike Jonze)

19. Zero Dark Thirty (Kathryn Bigelow)

20. Gravity (Alfonso Cuarón)

21. Fire will come (Oliver Laxe)

22. Coco (Lee Unkrich, Adrian Molina)

23. The grandmaster (Wong Kar Wai)

24. The room (Lenny Abrahamson)

25. Arrival (Denis Villeneuve)

26. Inside Llewyn Lewis (Ethan Cohen, Joel Cohen)

27. The counselor (Ridley Scott)

28. Locke (Steven Knight)

29. Before midnight (Richard Linklater)

30. Edge of Tomorrow (Doug Liman)

31. Toni Erdmann (Maren Ade)

32. Perfect sense (David McKenzie)

33. A ghost story (David Lowery)

34. Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (Quentin Tarantino)

35. Right Now, Wrong Then (Hong Sang-soo)

36. Midnight in París (Woody Allen)

37. Buried (Rodrigo Cortés)

38. Listen to me Marlon (Steven Riley)

39. Logan (James Mangold)

40. Rams (Grímur Hákonarson)

Some of these films are minority, but others are known, or directed by well-known directors, and it catches my attention that, at least in the most famous films of this list... there are so many without a collector's edition. Hopefully at some point I can buy some collector's edition of films like "Cold War", "The Irishman", or "Nocturnal Animals", for example.

Edited by Casiusco
  • Like 1

@Casiusco although I've seen only 8 films on your list (many others are on my to-watch list, like 'Parasite' 'Inside Llewyn Lewis' 'Pateson') I love it if only for the fact that with the exception of 'Logan' (haven't seen it either but heard only good things about it), there's not one superhero/Marvel/DC movie to be found :)

My top 20 in chronological order

1. The Social Network (David Fincher) - 2010

2. Inception (Christopher Nolan) - 2010

3. True Grit (Coen Brothers) - 2010

4. Kingsman: The Secret Service (Matthew Vaughn) - 2010

5. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (Tomas Alfredson) - 2011

6. Blue Jasmine (Woody Allen) - 2013

7. Snowpiercer (Bong Joon-ho) - 2013

8. Behind The Candelabra (Steven Soderbergh) - 2013

9. The Grand Budapest Hotel (Wes Anderson) - 2014

10. Whiplash (Damien Chazelle) - 2014

11. Gone Girl (David Fincher) - 2014

12. Mad Max: Fury Road (George Miller) - 2015

13. Sicario (Denis Villeneuve) - 2015

14. The Hateful Eight (Quentin Tarantino) - 2015

15. The Handmaiden (Park Chan-wook) - 2016

16. Coco (Lee Unkrich & Adrian Molina) - 2017

17. Get Out (Jordan Peele) - 2017

18. Bohemian Rhapsody (Bryan Singer) - 2018)

19. Once Upon A Time...In Hollywood (Quentin Tarantino) - 2019

20. The Irishman - Martin Scorsese (2019)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

@Casiusco although I've seen only 8 films on your list (many others are on my to-watch list, like 'Parasite' 'Inside Llewyn Lewis' 'Pateson') I love it if only for the fact that with the exception of 'Logan' (haven't seen it either but heard only good things about it), there's not one superhero/Marvel/DC movie to be found :)

@R1s1ngs0n My list is subjective, because a list must be subjective. Another thing is to think about if you're making a list of the best movies, or about the ones you liked/entertained more. It's not always the same.

In my case, I have seen many superhero movies during the last decade, I don't know if I will have missed any; but beyond "Logan", which I think is really good, I've not seen any that -for me, subjectively- should be among the first forty positions from a list where you value the best movies.

By the way, you made me realize that, incredibly, and I don't know why ... oh my god... I didn't include "Inception" in my list. I've done it! And I adore "Inception." I love "Inception". It's a great movie. I knew I was going to forget some, but this forgetfulness is unforgivable; my head betrayed me cowardly.

And I like many of the titles on your list too, even the ones I didn't put in mine. Sicario, The Handmaiden, Mad Max Fury Road, Snowpiercer, Blue Jasmine, The Social Network, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, The Grand Budapest Hotel, and many others are great films, I have it at home. 

I like the variety of your list, I like to see very different films, not the typical list only about a a type of movie.

Off topic: The Handmaiden, for me probably one of the most beautiful steelbooks I've seen ever.

But making these lists is funny, and seeing other's too. You always find movies that you have not seen, or you discover you've done a totally unforgivable mistake :P

• Like 1