Movie News

Veum

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, LeGonze said:

I'd heard of rumours of a 5th film that had been circulating for the past few years, but the fact that the director himself has now confirmed it has me excited.

I actually watched the first film as part of my Christmas tradition (along with Die Hard, It's a Wonderful Life and Home Alone) and it remains one of my favourites.

What do you think? You excited for a 5th movie?

• Thanks 1

Spoiler
1 minute ago, Fortis93 said:

I'd heard of rumours of a 5th film that had been circulating for the past few years, but the fact that the director himself has now confirmed it has me excited.

I actually watched the first film as part of my Christmas tradition (along with Die Hard, It's a Wonderful Life and Home Alone) and it remains one of my favourites.

Bored Gilligans Island GIF by TV Land Classic

• Haha 2

Just now, Fortis93 said:

First of all... AWESOME CHRISTMAS TRADITIOOONN!!!... :oxD

Second...

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1

Spoiler
26 minutes ago, LeGonze said:

First of all... AWESOME CHRISTMAS TRADITIOOONN!!!... :oxD

Second...

giphy.gif

I’m more looking fwd. to seeing (somehow) Mel Gibson’s ’Fatman/The Resurrection’ yeah! 🎬🥤🍿

The Passion Of The Christ 2: What's Going On With Mel Gibson's Planned Sequel

Edited by Veum
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
original.png?1609380238

THE CRITERION COLLECTION
JANUARY 15, 2021

Our April Titles

This spring, brace yourself for an eclectic batch of genre-twisting pleasures: Bong Joon Ho’s black-comic mystery based on the true story of a notorious South Korean serial killer, Olivier Assayas’s live-wire pastiche of silent cinema and martial-arts flicks, and Frank Borzage’s sublime, swooning romance. And, now on Blu-ray, Anthony Mann fuses melodrama and the western while Jean-Luc Godard meets “the children of Marx and Coca-Cola.” 

original.jpg?1610723752
original.jpg?1610733283
original.jpg?1610723760
original.jpg?1610723754
original.jpg?1610723756
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

image.thumb.jpeg.c743e1c80067bbbb6daacca0ceec1e03.jpeg

CELEBRATING ITS 65TH ANNIVERSARY THIS YEAR, CECIL B. DEMILLE’S LEGENDARY EPIC ARRIVES ON 4K ULTRA HD FOR THE FIRST TIME

4K Ultra HD/Blu-ray™ Combo with Digital Debuts March 30, 2021 in Time for Easter

Renowned director Cecil B. DeMille’s 1956 epic THE TEN COMMANDMENTS arrives in spectacular 4K Ultra HD for the first time on March 30, 2021 from Paramount Home Entertainment.

Bringing to life the inspiring story of Moses in all its stunning glory, THE TEN COMMANDMENTS has withstood the test of time. To commemorate the film’s 65th anniversary in 2021, DeMille’s groundbreaking cinematic triumph will be available to watch at home in time for Easter in sparkling 4K Ultra HD with High Dynamic Range.

As part of the restoration done in 2010, the film was scanned in 6K and those files were the basis for this brand-new Dolby Vision version, which shows off the full beauty of the original VistaVision negative. The VistaVision format used special cameras to feed 35mm film into the camera horizontally in order to capture a wider image spread over two 35mm film frames, giving VistaVision twice the resolution of regular 35mm film. In addition, Paramount spent well over 150 hours doing new color work and clean-up on the scan. The move to Dolby Vision created the opportunity to further improve the look of the film: blacks are enhanced and improvements were made to smooth out special effects mattes to create the most vibrant and pristine image possible.

The 4K film presentation contains an introduction by DeMille, an intermission, an overture/exit music card, and an entr’acte card, along with a DTS-HD 5.1 lossless soundtrack.

The new set includes a 4K Ultra HD disc, two Blu-ray discs, and access to a Digital copy of the film. Following is a breakdown of the disc contents:

4K Ultra HD Disc

1956 feature film in 4K Ultra HD

• Commentary by Katherine Orrison, author of “Written in Stone: Making Cecil B. DeMille’s Epic The Ten Commandments”

Blu-ray Disc™ #1
1956 feature film in high definition (Part 1)

• Commentary by Katherine Orrison, author of “Written in Stone: Making Cecil B. DeMille’s Epic The Ten Commandments”

Blu-ray Disc™ #2
1956 feature film in high definition (Part 2)

• Newsreel footage of the film’s New York premiere
  • Theatrical trailers, including at 10-minute “making of” trailer
  • For sheer pageantry and spectacle, few motion pictures can claim to equal the splendor of THE TEN COMMANDMENTS. DeMille’s last motion picture made Charlton Heston a superstar and remains an unprecedented achievement and perennial fan favorite. Filmed in Egypt and the Sinai with one of the biggest sets ever constructed for a motion picture, THE TEN COMMANDMENTS tells the story of the life of Moses (Heston). Once favored in the Pharaoh’s (Yul Brynner) household, Moses turned his back on a privileged life to lead his people to freedom.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

image.jpeg.41e7d1f2ea7de73f3f7512a2fb194f6c.jpeg

On the heels of a historic Golden Globe nomination, Nomadland filmmaker Chloé Zhao has found a new project into which she can sink her teeth.

Zhao has teamed up with Universal Pictures to join the studio’s classic film monster repertoire, developing a feature project based on the most famous vampire of all, Dracula.

Zhao will write, direct and produce through her production company, Highwayman.

This new Dracula project, however, will be a far cry from the more traditional or even modern incarnations made over the years. Details are being kept in the coffin, but Zhao’s version is described as an original, futuristic, sci-fi Western. Themes of being on society’s fringes, something Zhao has tackled in her previous work, will course through the project’s veins.

"Chloé’s singular lens shines a light on stories of the overlooked and misunderstood," said Universal Pictures president, Peter Cramer. "We are thrilled to be working with her as she reimagines one of the most iconic outsider characters ever created."

Stated Zhao: "I’ve always been fascinated by vampires and the concept of the Other they embody. I’m very excited to work with Donna, Peter and the team at Universal to reimagine such a beloved character."

Zhao’s Dracula take comes as the character sharpens his fangs to celebrate the 90th anniversary of Universal’s classic directed by Tod Browning that starred Bela Lugosi.

'Nomadland' Filmmaker Chloe Zhao Tackling Sci-Fi Western 'Dracula' for Universal (Exclusive)

‘Watchmen’ Helmer Nicole Kassell Set To Direct ‘The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz’ For New Line

Watchmen director Nicole Kassell has been set to direct New Line’s feature adaptation of L. Frank Baum’s beloved American children’s novel The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. Temple Hill partners Marty Bowen and Wyck Godfrey are producing with Marc Platt. Isaac Klausner will be executive producer.

Kassell recently won a DGA award for dramatic series and an Emmy as executive producer of HBO’s critically-praised smash hit Watchmen adaptation. Kassell has been a visual architect of the series, directing three of the limited series’ nine episodes, including the pilot. This is a major priority project for the studio and a big star-making opportunity for Kassell.

Kassell’s selection follows an extensive director search by New Line to find a visionary filmmaker to re-imagine The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. They liked what they saw in how Kassell acted as a meticulous world-builder in overseeing every step of the Watchmen production, setting the show’s striking visual tone with no detail overlooked, weaving visual cues from the panels of the comic into the series as delicate Easter eggs for fans. Kassell also demonstrated the ability to adapt challenging material, breathing new life into DC’s revered and notoriously difficult-to-adapt graphic novel.

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz was published in 1900, and inspired thirteen additional Oz books. It has long been a Hollywood fixation — the book is in the public domain — and has been the inspiration of numerous project since the classic 1939 musical film The Wizard of Oz starring Judy Garland. That film is in the Warner Bros library, meaning the fresh take on Baum children’s novel can draw on elements like the ruby slippers, something rival projects cannot do. Previous screenplay drafts were written by Darren Lemke and the duo of Neil Widener and Gavin James.

France Three Musketeers ( François Civil, Eva Green, and Vincent Cassel )

image.jpeg.57a5efeeaa5177e5ed74c83792ad86ef.jpeg

It’s been ten years since there was a big screen adaptation of Alexandre Dumas’ story of The Three Musketeers, but France is about to deliver one of the most ambitious yet. French producer Dimitri Rassam (The Little Prince) is working with Pathé on a two-part adaptation of the classic that will star François Civil, Eva Green, and Vincent Cassel.

‘The Three Musketeers’ Is Getting an Ambitious Two-Part Adaptation with Vincent Cassel and Eva Green

Edited by Veum
  • Like 2

MANHUNTER will be re-released in Germany on Mediabook format with two different cover variations as BD+DVD combo via CMV Laservision, coming April 2021.

Contentwise is it the same BD as on the Studiocanal release from 2013, meaning Theatrical Cut in HD, Director's Cut in SD. Unfortunately not a 4K remaster...

wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1728x2445.
Manhunter-Cover-A_MB_Packshot.jpg
wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1728x2445.
Manhunter-Cover-B_MB_Packshot.jpg
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, LeGonze said:

Hey guys!!

Anyone excited about this one??... At least the Trailer looks really really good!!... 9_9😎

@LeGonze it’s peaked my interest some even though I’ve got this M K & haven’t even opened it yet 😂 

image.jpeg.0260e5b972393eb4e32cefb1dcb5d67c.jpeg

What About this Beauty right here??... 9_9

Definitely in for some of this 🦸‍♀️  🦸‍♂️...

200.gif Wonder Woman Batman GIF by HBO Max

Edited by Veum
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Edgar Wright To Direct Stephen King’s ‘The Running Man’ At Paramount Pictures; Simon Kinberg’s Genre Films Producing

image.jpeg.ce79fa50bd22a4cae6b9141b34510b3c.jpeg

EXCLUSIVE: Paramount Pictures is making a deal with Edgar Wright to develop to direct a new adaptation of The Running Man, the futuristic novel by Stephen King that the author first published under the pseudonym Richard Bachman.This won’t be a remake of the 1987 film that starred Arnold Schwarzenegger; the Baby Driver writer/director will co-write the story with Michael Bacall, and they will be much more faithful to King’s bestselling novel.  Bacall will write the script.

The Running Man (new adaptation) | Edgar Wright To Direct

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Veum said:

@LeGonze it’s peaked my interest some even though I’ve got this M K & haven’t even opened it yet 😂 

image.jpeg.0260e5b972393eb4e32cefb1dcb5d67c.jpeg

That "Trilogy" is real??... :o I've only watched the first one... Not that good at all... Didn't even know that there were 2 more movies!!... Hahaa... 

But yeah... This new one looks awesome... I just hope the actual movie is good!!... 9_9

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LeGonze said:

That "Trilogy" is real??... :o I've only watched the first one... Not that good at all... Didn't even know that there were 2 more movies!!... Hahaa... 

But yeah... This new one looks awesome... I just hope the actual movie is good!!... 9_9

@LeGonze

giphy.gif

It’s very real my fine friend. I actually like the first one for what it was. You’re right though it’s bad, & the second one should be outlawed 😂😂. Mortal Kombat Legacy though I have heard positive feedback for. I haven’t had the chance to watch it myself, but from my understanding it was Legacy that reignited the hunger for a live action movie from fans. Now what I can recommend is 

7mdvhyr.jpg

This was very entertaining & a step in the right direction as far as storytelling outside the video games go. Of course I haven’t seen the new trailer so I can’t speak on what’s to come just yet. Been hearing positive feedback about the new trailer. Hopefully the movie is the answer! Right now my opinion is the franchise is best suited for animation. Particularly in the style of Japanese anime.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My kudos (again, 🙂) to my very eloquent friend @Hollywood E Rock for surmising my own thoughts wrt  the Mortal Kombat franchise.

The 1st film was a true labour of love from a pair of colleagues that felt, with the resurgence of interest in video game combat simulators (i.e. Street Fighter) the stage was set for a no holds barred film that would appeal to the 16 year old in all of us.

For the most part, they were right, as the film garnered a tremendous following (and one of the BEST opening themes in action film history, heh).

Sadly, the studio execs (again 🥵) felt that they could easily cash in on the genre without giving any thought to the material AT ALL, so we got the 2nd film thrust upon us.

Wisely, the franchise elected to venture farther down the path of Video games and left the bitter taste of MK: Annihilation far behind them.

I have not played the games any further than I did with my daughter on the Sega Genesis many moons ago but was always intrigued by new ads announced for the newer entries.

On You-tube, one can easily watch a collective of the game(s) cut-scenes, with MK: 10 being an absolute stand-out in quality presentation.

The trailer for the new film, looks quite energetic and I may in fact grab it on Blu release.

Should you consider venturing into these fliks;

- I find the 1st a heartwarming love letter to the game that inspired it all and a fun watch

- The 2nd a waste of electrons

- the 3rd a  semi-solid righting of the ship, and

- the remainder are predominantly the cut-scenes of well crafted games.

YMMV...😀

edit: worth note, the 1st and 2nd films are being released in a Steel in the USA by Warner Bros.

You have a cool Steel, a great film and a shiny drink coaster offered all for one price!

Edited by Grendel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Hollywood E Rock said:

@LeGonze

giphy.gif

It’s very real my fine friend. I actually like the first one for what it was. You’re right though it’s bad, & the second one should be outlawed 😂😂. Mortal Kombat Legacy though I have heard positive feedback for. I haven’t had the chance to watch it myself, but from my understanding it was Legacy that reignited the hunger for a live action movie from fans. Now what I can recommend is 

7mdvhyr.jpg

This was very entertaining & a step in the right direction as far as storytelling outside the video games go. Of course I haven’t seen the new trailer so I can’t speak on what’s to come just yet. Been hearing positive feedback about the new trailer. Hopefully the movie is the answer! Right now my opinion is the franchise is best suited for animation. Particularly in the style of Japanese anime.

Yeah!!... I will definitely watch that one... I remember that I preordered this steelbook on Target I think but never got it... Don't really know what happened there...

Thanks guys for your awesome response as always!!! ;) @Grendel

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, LeGonze said:

Yeah!!... I will definitely watch that one... I remember that I preordered this steelbook on Target I think but never got it... Don't really know what happened there...

Thanks guys for your awesome response as always!!! ;) @Grendel

I got my copy from my local Target. Got lucky, because I wasn’t even looking for it. When I shop at Target I can’t help but go over in the movie section which then leads me to the Funko Pops & NECA figures 😂. Two copies was still available when I went that day. Now thinking about it, not only was I not looking for it, but I don’t think I was familiar with the release at all at the time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Hollywood E Rock said:

I got my copy from my local Target. Got lucky, because I wasn’t even looking for it. When I shop at Target I can’t help but go over in the movie section which then leads me to the Funko Pops & NECA figures 😂. Two copies was still available when I went that day. Now thinking about it, not only was I not looking for it, but I don’t think I was familiar with the release at all at the time.

dcqdg5h-d21a4451-97eb-4f0a-84af-0fb0ef7a

• Haha 3

I do not have the steel but I have this:

image.jpeg.acfc99b3b6a2b184dd10c8f2390480f1.jpeg

After the vicious slaughter of his family by stone-cold mercenary Sub-Zero, Hanzo Hasashi is exiled to the torturous Netherrealm. There, in exchange for his servitude to the sinister Quan Chi, he’s given a chance to avenge his family – and is resurrected as Scorpion, a lost soul bent on revenge. Back on Earthrealm, Lord Raiden gathers a team of elite warriors – Shaolin monk Liu Kang, Special Forces officer Sonya Blade and action star Johnny Cage – an unlikely band of heroes with one chance to save humanity. To do this, they must defeat Shang Tsung’s horde of Outworld gladiators and reign over the Mortal Kombat tournament. Prepare to witness all of the bone-crushing action in this riveting Mortal Kombat Legends animated feature!

image.thumb.jpeg.e43f2ad96bcabf87029bd1966fe0cb32.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1