R1s1ngs0n

A Tale Of A Grail

I recently stumbled upon an old thread discussing members’ personal grails and thought it would be fun to revive the subject.

You can list up to 3 titles which you consider the crown jewels of your collection in terms of rarity and desirability.

Although certainly no obligation, you could also mention the ridiculous price you paid for your grail just so we know how badly you really wanted it - if hesitant/embarrassed about admitting you paid 499$ for an edition, just say you paid over 200$, we’ll get the picture.

And lastly, open or sealed? and would you ever consider parting ways with it?

Edited by R1s1ngs0n
  • Like 6

Awards

My holy grails of my collection 😊

Steelbooks

I had searched the Thor Steelbook unsuccessfully for 2 years. Unfortunately I never got it for a reasonable price. Now it cost me over 200$.

I had better luck with Spider-Man. I got this last year on eBay for 90€. Meanwhile the prices for it have risen extremely, partly up to 300€.

What I would like to have in my collection, but will probably never get.

Steelbooks

Simply because I am not willing to pay the prices called for it.

• Like 8

Curiously enough, none of my grails are steelbooks.

My top 3 (different retailer per spot)

1. Jaws (WCL) - it's actually in transit as I type this so I don't have it in hand...yet. Found a sealed copy being auctioned on eBay and it was a hard fought battle of both will and desperation to get my hands on it, going all for broke in the last 3 seconds. It ended up costing me an arm, a leg and a testicule (which means WAY over 200$) but I'm not complaining. And yes, I will open it.

2. Memories Of Murder (CJ Entertainment Digipak) - bought an open, mint condition copy on eBay for around 150$ (impossible to find sealed). The only time I ever bought a used Blu-ray.

3. The Hateful Eight (Synergy Secret Limited Edition Fullslip) - again, a little over 100$ forked for a sealed copy on eBay (what would we do without eBay 😌). Opened, of course.

WCL's 2001 is also definitely a grail but since it is still relatively easier to find than Jaws, I didn't include it in my top 3. Got mine at a very reasonable price directly from Masterblaster.

All grails are here to stay with no intention of ever leaving their owner 😊

Edited by R1s1ngs0n
  • Like 7

Awards

My holy grails for the moment 😍

53593E9D-C02B-42C5-B6BD-B7D3A9891DC6.thumb.jpeg.ec53c48f9fe33d57e94d1e0250dcef12.jpeg

I was desperate to find them at a fair price, and finally, I found them in the same month 2 months ago (around 90€ each) new and sealed by the way 😇

12EC6CA8-8CE9-45F1-AD22-5C883E21913D.thumb.jpeg.26634a63d13f2c0715f9f63be8554d00.jpeg

This one was very expensive, hard to find (especially sealed) and not very often for sale.

The higher price I paid for an edition for sure, more than 200$ 🤭

But Spiderman Homecoming OAB is coming very soon, I think my Top3 could change 😉 

• Like 9

this is my Top 3 ..

the first one simply cost me the sale of my Marvel Zavvi is about 370 € ..

Screenshot-20191106-090335-Facebook.jpg

20191106-161934.jpg20191106-161943.jpg

the acquisition of my first helped me to get my second :D

20191106-161958.jpg

and finally several years ago where a lot of  editions could reach excessive prices, I spent almost 150 € for that one 😅

20191106-162204.jpg

• Like 9

It‘s difficult to count a holy grail, when you are collecting premiums for almost 1 1/2 year. there are many of editions i could say that they are my holy grails. But i reached a few of them for quite an affordable price. The most expensive single Edition i ever bought was Spider-Man Homecoming. That thing costs me 130€ and i had really fought with myself to spend so much money for just one edition. The second was Doctor Strange for this i paid 100€ and i could live better with that price. But my real holy grail was a single Steelbook. The Zavvi From Dusk till Dawn Steelbook was long OOP when i started to collect Steelbooks. So the prices moved from 80€ to 120€ partly opened. That was to much for me for a single Stteelbook, without any extras. But at a time where i thought i never get this beauty for a affordable price i got the luck to get it for 50€ unopened. 

o5qx135.jpg

And now there are many other holy grails, cause after a holy grail is before a holy grail 😂. So if someone wants to get rid from his WW HDzeta Box, send me a message i‘m willing to pay 200€ for it 😂😂😂

Edited by BobaFett1974
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

@R1s1ngs0n i only saw that a few weeks back as in it existed and i missed a raffle for one as well 😭

if you ever see one on flea bay please give me a shout i been keeping a bit of an eye out for one but seen nothing.

and get the awful feeling this goona be in the years to aquire if i ever do

The Hateful Eight (Synergy Secret Limited Edition Fullslip)

basil 👍

• Like 1

Awards

12 minutes ago, Basil said:

@R1s1ngs0n i only saw that a few weeks back as in it existed and i missed a raffle for one as well 😭

if you ever see one on flea bay please give me a shout i been keeping a bit of an eye out for one but seen nothing.

and get the awful feeling this goona be in the years to aquire if i ever do

The Hateful Eight (Synergy Secret Limited Edition Fullslip)

basil 👍

Will do. There was actually another copy up for direct purchase for about 70USD (not including shipping) right after I got mine. At the moment there's no copy up for sale.

It was the same seller for both so you should check back from time to time and type The Hateful Eight Reel Synergy Secret Edition.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Awards

Nice thread @R1s1ngs0n 👍🏼

I have been very fortunate to have been collecting long enough, to have not missed many editions that I want. This means most on my prized possessions were bought face value.

If I had to pick 3 from my collection that I really wanted, and was forced into eBay hunting, then these would be mine. I am sure these still aren’t particularly valuable even now, but these 3 are ones that I had to hunt having missed out when released.

I also haven’t spent silly money on any edition yet. (Blufans Spider-verse Fanbox is the most I have Ever spent on any edition, and that was brand new in a GB!). I think both FA Ghost Rider & Nova’s Avengers Assemble were both £50, and I paid £100 for Nova’s GotG along with Nova’s Antman & Age of Ultron, both of which I already owned so sold for £40 each, meaning GotG cost me £20! Right Result as back then, it was worth £80.

All are opened of course 😉👍🏼

8A6B6C9D-10D3-46DB-ADA6-A3AF63D6ABE9.jpeg

F7FF7E2D-494C-4581-A03B-A477A063CE08.jpeg

C95AA528-C5AB-4D10-BF98-A50DB0005A15.jpeg

• Like 6

In terms of Grails that I would like.... Has to be Blufans Thor & Thor - The Dark World, and FA’s Elektra. 

I am currently considering selling my Blufans Star Wars editions to fund a Blufans Thor, purely because then I can justify it in my head as a “Trade” and not throwing money away 😂 ..... Emphasis on “Considering” mind you 😁

• Haha 3

My most painful grail was HDZeta's BVS OC but I needed it to complete the set 🤕. Others that come to mind.........

Johnnie Walker Blade Runner edition - I had to search high and low for this when it came out.

IMG_1244

Avengers IW Japan Movienex box set with comic & pins. This sold out immediately but I was lucky and got one through a friend

IMG_1242

Doctor Who Complete 1-7 blu-ray (not steelbook). I thought it was expensive at the time but took the plunge. Glad I did since now it goes for crazy money.

IMG_1243

• Like 7

My biggest treasure/grail is the complete Legend of the Galactic Heroes Blu-ray Box Set (check out my topic here for more info/pictures). With a retail price of $800 it is also my most expensive media release ever bought, but worth every $ at least to me 😍

newsteelbook161a

I love a lot of my editions and it certainly is not a cheap hobby, Thankfully I got most of my items through GBs and direct orders.

I guess the FAC Wolf of Wall Street is a Grail, especially since I paid nothing for it, as I qualified for the edition.

newsteelbook81a.JPG

newsteelbook81b.JPG

One recent Item that made me ultra happy was the WeET Alita: Battle Angel OC. I'm a huge Alita Fan for 20 years and getting the #1 of that releases was very special to me (very grateful to the everyone who made that possible 🙏).

Newsteelbook 248b - Media Psychos - Alita Battle Angel WeET CollectionNewsteelbook 248c - Media Psychos - Alita Battle Angel WeET Collection

But as I said, I love almost all the items I have 😂, some I don't care for as I only have them to keep something complete.

• Like 5

Very interesting what people consider "treasures" rather than Grails. The obvious Grails are FA AASB and WoW. 

I have great respect for collectors like Nils @extantsrevenge who got WoW free, because they have every edition of FAC. Dedicated collectors like that should be rewarded by the retailers.

Interestingly Blufans Thor keeps cropping up. I sold mine a long time ago, for a very handsome profit, because it was too dark for display. I'm still waiting for a "definitive" edition of Thor.

A long time ago, I asked Tony (Kimchi) to do an edition, when they still had Marvel Licenses, but unfortunately it never happened. A Thor 1, to match their beautiful Thor TDW Lenti, would have been superb.

Maybe Weet will do one down the line. Or possibly FA if they are going back over the Marvel Catalogue.

The Blufans "Spock" Star Trek is also one of my favourites @Benoit46 At one time I had the Tri-pack and the Collectors Box Set, plus individual editions of that release. 

I am still hoping that one day a retailer like HDz will do a complete premium set of the Star Trek Trilogy. (It seems there will be no more of this particular re-boot)

Blufans did the one, FA did just the one !

• Like 7

vor 4 Stunden schrieb extantsrevenge:

My biggest treasure/grail is the complete Legend of the Galactic Heroes Blu-ray Box Set (check out my topic here for more info/pictures). With a retail price of $800 it is also my most expensive media release ever bought, but worth every $ at least to me 😍

newsteelbook161a

I love a lot of my editions and it certainly is not a cheap hobby, Thankfully I got most of my items through GBs and direct orders.

I guess the FAC Wolf of Wall Street is a Grail, especially since I paid nothing for it, as I qualified for the edition.

newsteelbook81a.JPG

newsteelbook81b.JPG

One recent Item that made me ultra happy was the WeET Alita: Battle Angel OC. I'm a huge Alita Fan for 20 years and getting the #1 of that releases was very special to me (very grateful to the everyone who made that possible 🙏).

Newsteelbook 248b - Media Psychos - Alita Battle Angel WeET CollectionNewsteelbook 248c - Media Psychos - Alita Battle Angel WeET Collection

But as I said, I love almost all the items I have 😂, some I don't care for as I only have them to keep something complete.

Also Nils, wenn du das Alita Lenti mal nicht mehr brauchst, ich helfe dir gerne😂😉😉

• Haha 2

Gerade eben schrieb Sephiroth:

Also Nils, wenn du das Alita Lenti mal nicht mehr brauchst, ich helfe dir gerne😂😉😉

Wolf Fac habe ich auch, musste ich mir leider kaufen, weil ich später angefangen habe zu samneln, sieht aber geil aus, dieser Glanzeffekt, die Farben.

Dagegen stinkt As Above voll ab

• Like 2