IGNORED

What did you watch last night???

Basil

Finally got around to watching 1987: When the Day Comes.  I thought it was good. There were a lot of downsides though. One was the amount characters they crammed in there. I get that it was trying to depict a ‘we’re all in this together’ political statement but it just made it feel so disjointed by the end. Like Ha Jung-woo is in it only sporadically and goes missing for most of it until he pops at the end and his character is supposed to be noble but he’s also a cocky douchebag so we no have idea why he is doing the right thing. Also, the ‘bad guy’ was really annoying and, in my opinion, not very realistic. Basically, I don’t think the film lived up to the reality of the situation. If they simplified it it could have been great. The only time I found myself with a tear in my eye was at the very when the real life footage was being shown.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished watching the first season of WandaVision and I am very impressed  a lot of references to other tv shows which I loved.
Didn't go in with any high hopes only saw a short fragment of the trailer and I thought it was gonna be a happy little sitcom, but man was I wrong.
Kathryn Hahn finally get some recognition as a brilliant
PsychoBunny-large.png.7bf783218eb0804f5f2c1414d77e63e4.pngactress, loved her in every movie I have seen her in such as Stepbrothers, Our idiot brother, We're the Millers , Anchorman  in all of which she had a small role with the exception of Stepbrother.

Very well done, this is the first Avengers spinoff tv series and I am very excited to see what else they gonna do.

Rating 9\10

Shocked Kathryn Hahn GIF by Nerdist.com

WandaVision | Official Trailer | Disney+ - YouTube

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

🥤🍿📺 🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬

image.jpeg.2de3e7f5f2ff5c071117e2365498efe6.jpeg

ROCKY IV

Rocky Balboa proudly holds the world heavyweight boxing championship, but a new challenger has stepped forward: Drago, a six-foot-four, 261-pound fighter who has the backing of the Soviet Union.

🥤🍿📺 🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬

image.jpeg.7980ce0bce865e15a207bc50a3acaae2.jpeg

An ex-convict working undercover intentionally gets himself incarcerated again in order to infiltrate the mob at a maximum security prison.

• Like 5

Just saw Chaos Walking. I went in with extremely low expectations based on the reviews, but didn't think it was too bad.  Then again, I might be biased because...

daisy ridley GIF by popsugar

Seriously though, I thought the performances were solid and the bones of the story were good. I would need to watch again to focus more on the nuances and take a deeper look at some of the issues with it. Overall, I think it's worth a matinee ticket. 🙂

• Like 3

🥤🍿📺 🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬

image.thumb.jpeg.62aeeda91118c9173cfcd50eae4e6181.jpeg

The story an older NSA agent who is trying to retire. He’s marked for death and learns that the man out to kill him is a younger cloned version of himself.

🥤🍿📺 🎬🎬🎬

image.jpeg.4e901f16056c78ff108b8770aa822b01.jpeg

The extraordinary battle for the future of humankind through the eyes of one American family. Fleeing from an extraterrestrial army of killer Tripods that annihilate everything in their path, Ray Ferrier races to keep his family safe.

• Like 2

Spoiler
6 minutes ago, GuyIncognit0 said:

Just saw Chaos Walking. I went in with extremely low expectations based on the reviews, but didn't think it was too bad.  Then again, I might be biased because...

daisy ridley GIF by popsugar

Seriously though, I thought the performances were solid and the bones of the story were good. I would need to watch again to focus more on the nuances and take a deeper look at some of the issues with it. Overall, I think it's worth a matinee ticket. 🙂

@GuyIncognit0 I’ve never seen nor heard of this film, can you give us a little synopsis of it please? 🧐 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Veum said:
  Reveal hidden contents

@GuyIncognit0 I’ve never seen nor heard of this film, can you give us a little synopsis of it please? 🧐 

Yessir!

The film takes place in the 2200s? where Earth is apparently becoming less inhabitable. Individuals have volunteered to begin colonizing new worlds and Daisy Ridley's character (Viola) is on her way to join one of these colonies. Her ship crash lands on one of these worlds and she learns that men's (and only men's) thoughts are heard and sometimes seen by everyone. She also learns that all of the women are dead. Conflict ensues 😁 Rotten tomatoes synopsis is as follows: "A young man must protect a mysterious woman in a dystopian world where all the females have disappeared."

This film was shot around 4 years ago and was supposed to be released a long time ago. It was delayed because Lionsgate deemed it "unreleasable" so it went through many reshoots, etc. You probably haven't heard of it because there has been next to no marketing for it. Lionsgate essentially realized it would be a flop and didn't want to sink any more money into it. I went into the theater knowing all of this which is why my expectations were so low.

Here's a trailer, albeit a seizure inducing, annoyingly cut one:

• Thanks 2

@Veum By the way, what did you think of Gemini Man? 

I personally thought the story was alright, but was absolutely blown away by the presentation. I am fortunate to be near a Dolby theater and saw it there in 3D. Now, I'm not usually a 3D guy, but the high frame rate made a HUGE difference. The 3D was crystal clear and had me entranced throughout. I wonder how much that impacted my opinion of it.

I wish more movies were shot at that frame rate.

Edited by GuyIncognit0
  • Like 3

On 3/5/2021 at 7:34 PM, GuyIncognit0 said:

@Veum By the way, what did you think of Gemini Man? 

I personally thought the story was alright, but was absolutely blown away by the presentation. I am fortunate to be near a Dolby theater and saw it there in 3D. Now, I'm not usually a 3D guy, but the high frame rate made a HUGE difference. The 3D was crystal clear and had me entranced throughout. I wonder how much that impacted my opinion of it.

I wish more movies were shot at the frame rate.

@GuyIncognit0 I thoroughly enjoyed this (however could have introduced the characters background a little more, oh well) and as you said the PQ was excellent as my 4K 120 fps was a 1st for me and I loved it...

the PQ was sharp, crystal clear (it persuaded me to order another 4K 120 fps called Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk - “An infantryman recounts the final hours before he and his fellow soldiers return to Iraq”)! :)

...image.jpeg.35151bc8eaf6d7fbef7aca549757ecfd.jpeg

Edited by Veum
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, Veum said:

the PQ was sharp, crystal clear (it persuaded me to order another 4K 60 fps called Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk - “An infantryman recounts the final hours before he and his fellow soldiers return to Iraq”)! :)

...image.jpeg.35151bc8eaf6d7fbef7aca549757ecfd.jpeg

I haven't heard of that one. I'll have to add it to the queue!

• Like 2

Spoiler
3 hours ago, Veum said:

🥤🍿📺 🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬

image.thumb.jpeg.62aeeda91118c9173cfcd50eae4e6181.jpeg

The story an older NSA agent who is trying to retire. He’s marked for death and learns that the man out to kill him is a younger cloned version of himself.

🥤🍿📺 🎬🎬🎬

image.jpeg.4e901f16056c78ff108b8770aa822b01.jpeg

The extraordinary battle for the future of humankind through the eyes of one American family. Fleeing from an extraterrestrial army of killer Tripods that annihilate everything in their path, Ray Ferrier races to keep his family safe.

A nice triple-header today/night! :)

🥤🍿📺 🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬

image.thumb.jpeg.de3d85281a4247191b3fe59c3a2444e9.jpeg

American car designer Carroll Shelby and driver Ken Miles battle corporate interference, the laws of physics and their own personal demons to build a revolutionary race car for Ford and challenge Ferrari at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1966.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Veum said:
  Reveal hidden contents

A nice triple-header today/night! :)

🥤🍿📺 🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬

image.thumb.jpeg.de3d85281a4247191b3fe59c3a2444e9.jpeg

American car designer Carroll Shelby and driver Ken Miles battle corporate interference, the laws of physics and their own personal demons to build a revolutionary race car for Ford and challenge Ferrari at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1966.

you love this, one of the best films of the  year imho 👍

• Like 3

🥤🍿📺 🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬

Amazon Prime

image.jpeg.2f6b0474bb7cc9f64d81fb48de263fb9.jpeg

Orlando Bloom stars in this taut thriller about a demolition worker seeking vengeance after he sees the man responsible for a traumatic childhood incident.

🥤🍿📺 🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬

Amazon Prime

image.jpeg.9215ded2f74b56c26b88d7a82bc63cef.jpeg

Josh Hartnett and Margarita Levieva star as siblings ensnared in their family's legacy of opioids dealing and violence in this searing crime-thriller that builds to a shattering conclusion.

• Like 3

Sat down to watch a couple of movies today.  I guess I was in a horror type mood today.

First up was:

Beautiful People:  Still trying to figure out how to rate this one.  It's a movie I am glad I didn't watch with the wife. She likes a lot of different types of movies, but I am not sure this one is for her.

Next up was:

Hereditary

🎬 🎬 🎬 🎬 🎬

This movie was well done and the acting was really good.  I wasn't quite sure about it in the first 30 minutes or so, but it really did a good job of keeping the viewer off guard and Toni Collette's acting was superb.  Horror is one genre that my wife is hit or miss on.  I do think she may enjoy this one and I wouldn't mind a second viewing for anything that I may have missed the first go-around.

AndroiDad75 🤖

• Like 4

Spoiler
4 hours ago, Veum said:

🥤🍿📺 🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬

Amazon Prime

image.jpeg.2f6b0474bb7cc9f64d81fb48de263fb9.jpeg

Orlando Bloom stars in this taut thriller about a demolition worker seeking vengeance after he sees the man responsible for a traumatic childhood incident.

🥤🍿📺 🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬

Amazon Prime

image.jpeg.9215ded2f74b56c26b88d7a82bc63cef.jpeg

Josh Hartnett and Margarita Levieva star as siblings ensnared in their family's legacy of opioids dealing and violence in this searing crime-thriller that builds to a shattering conclusion.

🥤🍿📺 🎬🎬🎬

image.jpeg.36bfd2cd224617b0af4b026c4c1cbcc7.jpeg

We all have a superhero inside us, it just takes a bit of magic to bring it out. In Billy Batson's case, by shouting out one word - SHAZAM! - this streetwise 14-year-old foster kid can turn into the adult superhero Shazam.

• Like 4

Take_Shelter_poster.jpg

That one was long overdue. A wonderful movie featuring a powerhouse performance from Michael Shannon. Perhaps more than any other actor working today, this guy manages to unsettle the viewer with a simple line delivery or a mere stare... a modern day Walken. Jessica Chastain is wonderful as well and Jeff Nichols' direction is masterful. A true gem.

2961742.jpg

Netflix's latest offering is a quite entertaining black comedy for which its star, Rosamund Pike, won the Golden Globe for Best Actress. It also features delightful performances from Peter Dinklage and wonderful veteran actress Diane Wiest. Definitely worth a watch.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

🥤🍿📺 🎬🎬🎬

I want more of these 120 fps films😍🙏 👊

image.jpeg.dc9502c9b8daf859f834ed7ae450ba67.jpeg

Academy Award winner Ang Lee (2012, Best Director, Life Of Pi ) brings his extraordinary vision to Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk, based on the widely-acclaimed, bestselling novel. The story is told from the point of view of 19-year-old private Billy Lynn (Joe Alwyn) who, along with his fellow soldiers in Bravo Squad, becomes a hero after a harrowing battle in Iraq and is brought home temporarily for a victory tour. Through a sequence of flashbacks the truth about what really happened is revealed – contrasting the realities of the war with America’s distorted perceptions of heroism. Co-starring Kristen Stewart, Chris Tucker, Garrett Hedlund, with Vin Diesel, and Steve Martin.

🥤🍿📺 🎬🎬🎬🎬

image.jpeg.922479350b5fa4681a50eeb131045694.jpeg

An organized crime big shot is jailed for ten years after his wife becomes pregnant and becomes bitter when she divorces him and remarries.

🥤🍿📺 🎬🎬🎬🎬

image.jpeg.de91be415212c5176f08d16f9c36db19.jpeg

One of the most influential movies of all time, the original Scarface is an exciting story of organized crime's brutal control over Chicago during the Prohibition era. Academy Award winner Paul Muni gives an electrifying performance as Tony Camonte, an ambitious criminal with a ruthless drive to be the city's top crime boss. Produced by the legendary Howard Hughes and directed by Howard Hawks, this compelling tale of ambition, betrayal and revenge is a groundbreaking masterpiece that influenced all gangster films to follow. Filmed during the "pre-code" era before censorship shaped the way movies were made, "this powerful gangster film is the most potent of the 1930s" (Leonard Maltin's Classic Movie Guide).

Edited by Veum
  • Like 4

3149649.jpg

I admit I always considered PTA to be a tad overrated. Certainly a talented filmmaker but some of his films I find to be either self indulgent, soulless or just plain boring (Inherent Vice being the worst offender as I couldn't even last 30mins through this snoozefest).

So coming into this one, I honestly didn't have high expectations but it turned out to be a revelation. I love Boogie Nights and The Master but this one, to me, is Anderson's greatest film by far.PsychoBunny-small.png.091f1545595c630f0dbec18dce444023.png

A captivating tale about obsession, dependence and control; with a great score by Jonny Greenwood and wonderful, witty and often very funny dialogue.

And of course you have Daniel Day Lewis in what turned out to be his last role before retiring. When you think this man cannot possibly better himself, he comes and delivers his most controlled and nuanced performance to date.

The man is absolutely mesmerizing and while this may not be among his most celebrated roles, it is in my opinion his best one.

But the phenomenal (and relatively unknown) Vicky Krieps is more than a match for him and she even manages to steal the show in a particularly memorable scene.

My highest recommendation.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

🥤🍿📺 🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬

image.jpeg.d2785bd9c03fc3823fddb7c36df58e43.jpeg

Frank Sheeran recalls his past years working as a hitman for the Bufalino crime family. The WWII veteran reflects on his most prolific hits, and considers his involvement with his good friend Jimmy Hoffa’s disappearance in 1975.

🥤🍿📺 🎬🎬🎬🎬

image.jpeg.f0e332f7781325714de282ae494afd99.jpeg

Private investigator Matthew Scudder is hired by a drug kingpin to find out who kidnapped and murdered his wife.

• Like 4

🥤🍿📺 🎬🎬🎬

image.jpeg.769cf1354b2fa14fdaa8353fdaba8fdd.jpeg

Friends hiking the Appalachian Trail are confronted by 'The Foundation', a community of people who have lived in the mountains for hundreds of years.

🥤🍿📺 🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬

image.jpeg.4def860768965340141afce3fd06f3e5.jpeg

Jimmy Ringo is an infamous gunslinger looking to hang up his holsters and start a new life, but his reputation draws him inexorably into a cycle of violence and revenge from which he cannot escape.

• Like 2

🥤🍿📺 🎬🎬🎬

image.jpeg.a88f92a71bea3643820dc3f2f918371f.jpeg

A shy student trying to reach his family in Ohio, a gun toting tough guy trying to find the last Twinkie, and a pair of sisters trying to get to an amusement park join forces to travel across a zombie-filled America.

🥤🍿📺🎬🎬🎬 1/2

image.jpeg.878ef3f9523906658b586d775190a9b0.jpeg

While a zombie virus breaks out in South Korea, passengers struggle to survive on the train from Seoul to Busan.

Edited by Veum
  • Like 3

So I've watched several movies over the past week. The first up was Judas and the Black Messiah

Following the assassinations of MLK Jr. and Malcolm X, one determined member of the Black Panther party, Fred Hampton, seeks to unite those who seek to end systematic oppression. The film follows Fred Hampton and the FBI's attempt to squash the rise of a "Black Messiah". This was a heavy, yet good, film filled with absolutely outstanding performances. Of course led by Daniel Kaluuya and LaKeith Stanfield.

Next was Dredd (2012) with Karl Urban, Olivia Thirlby, and Lena Headey. I never saw this film but decided to watch it so I could decide whether or not to go after the Best Buy steelbook released this past Tuesday.

There was nothing really new here story-wise, but I enjoy the occasional shoot-em-up. However, I found some of the visuals in this film unnecessarily gory and it kind of ruined it for me. 

After those two films I wanted something a little lighter so I re-watched Man of Steel and Batman V Superman to get ready for Justice League next week 🙂

• Like 4

🥤🍿📺

Been enjoying this series from MHz at night...

image.thumb.jpeg.ed93ad14f027001f8a280ab1d7d26bf9.jpeg

I’ve finally met a character more morose than Kurt Wallander.

He is Richard Brock — played by International Emmy® nominee and seven-time award winner Heino Ferch (Downfall, The Tunnel, Run Lola Run) — a former practicing psychiatrist turned university lecturer and police criminal psychologist based in Vienna, Austria.

Brock stopped seeing patients years ago, owing to his wife’s suicide following his advice that she stop taking her meds. His grief and guilt make him as damaged as, say, the titular criminal profiler in the Swedish mystery series Sebastian Bergman, who lost his wife and young daughter during the 2004 tsunami. (By comparison, Wallander is a wounded divorcé, not a widower, whose adult daughter is still very much alive in the final Swedish series.)

Edited by Veum
  • Like 3