Basil

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night I got around to watching one of my favourite directors latest movie 

ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD!!

I had seen a few on here either put in there top 3 favs, or top 3 worst so there was no in-between.

For me it was awesome, the set design and look was on point, the casting choices were great, DiCaprio's struggling to stay relevant actor is portrayed really well. The unfair criticism that Margot Robbies's Sharon Tate wasn't used enough was wrong, also that they tarnished bruce Lee's name was really over reacted too. The Tate angle was used just enough to tie in with Tarantino's story. For a runtime of 2hr 40mins I found it went over quite quick. (Had seen some people say it was boring it certainly was not) I think people who thought it was boring didn't get what the movie was trying to be or what it was representing. 

I am not gonna lie and say I'm not already a huge QT fan to start of with but if I felt it wasn't up to scratch I'd of been disappointed but I thought it was awesome. 

Anybody who hasn't got around to it yet I would definitely recommend 9/10

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Robertm89 said:

Last night I got around to watching one of my favourite directors latest movie 

ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD!!

I had seen a few on here either put in there top 3 favs, or top 3 worst so there was no in-between.

For me it was awesome, the set design and look was on point, the casting choices were great, DiCaprio's struggling to stay relevant actor is portrayed really well. The unfair criticism that Margot Robbies's Sharon Tate wasn't used enough was wrong, also that they tarnished bruce Lee's name was really over reacted too. The Tate angle was used just enough to tie in with Tarantino's story. For a runtime of 2hr 40mins I found it went over quite quick. (Had seen some people say it was boring it certainly was not) I think people who thought it was boring didn't get what the movie was trying to be or what it was representing. 

I am not gonna lie and say I'm not already a huge QT fan to start of with but if I felt it wasn't up to scratch I'd of been disappointed but I thought it was awesome. 

Anybody who hasn't got around to it yet I would definitely recommend 9/10

Glad you enjoyed it as well. Best movie experience I had this year (admittedly those were few and far between, but still).
Already signed up for the Manta release and I feel this is one of those movies that get better with each repeated viewing..

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

. Best movie experience I had this year (admittedly those were few and far between, but still).

Yeah I would actually struggle to have a concrete top 5. Hasn't been the greatest year movie wise..next year will be better I'm sure. 

I'm most excited about the Christopher Nolan movie tenet. I love Nolan. What about you??

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Robertm89 said:

Yeah I would actually struggle to have a concrete top 5. Hasn't been the greatest year movie wise..next year will be better I'm sure. 

I'm most excited about the Christopher Nolan movie tenet. I love Nolan. What about you??

Nolan is a visionary and I long said he would be the perfect choice to direct a really good Bond film...in the vein of the old classic and stylish ones, not these recent Jason Bourne imitations (sorry Craig lovers).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, R1s1ngs0n said:

Nolan is a visionary and I long said he would be the perfect choice to direct a really good Bond film...in the vein of the old classic and stylish ones, not these recent Jason Bourne imitations (sorry Craig lovers).

Cant Say I'm a big bond fan but I thought the majority really liked Craig as Bond. If you haven't already seen it yet but I'm assuming you probably have I'll leave this here for anyone who hasn't ....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Watched Your Name last night. Really love this movie it's beautiful with a heartwarming and kinda sad story about a boy and a girl who sometimes mysteriously switch bodies. They first thought they were dreaming but came to the conclusion it's really happening and start to communicate through notes/calender entries in their phones. Of course they fall in love but there is a problem reaching the other person...

kimi no na wa eyes GIF by Funimationyour name GIF

• Like 6

Now it takes A LOT for me to use the next set of words. 

In the UK we have a new National Treasure MacKenzie Crook .

You all may know him as the one eyed pirate from the first 3 Pirates of the Caribbean movies .

Never saw him in The Office .

He Wrote directed and produced a TV show called The Detectorists . Charming comedy about a group of friends and enemy Metal detectorists only ran for 13 half hr episodes .

Those of  us of a certain age in the UK remember the LATE GREAT John Pertwee as Wurzel  Gummidge .

NEVER did i think it could be made more magical or wondrous than the 80s TV show I grew up with .

Keeps an eye out and listens to the wind in the trees The Scarecrow of Scatterbrook Farm teaches the childers how to unlock the seasons and put rights to the world

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Scary Hair said:

Now it takes A LOT for me to use the next set of words. 

In the UK we have a new National Treasure MacKenzie Crook .

You all may know him as the one eyed pirate from the first 3 Pirates of the Caribbean movies .

Never saw him in The Office .

He Wrote directed and produced a TV show called The Detectorists . Charming comedy about a group of friends and enemy Metal detectorists only ran for 13 half hr episodes .

Those of  us of a certain age in the UK remember the LATE GREAT John Pertwee as Wurzel  Gummidge .

NEVER did i think it could be made more magical or wondrous than the 80s TV show I grew up with .

Keeps an eye out and listens to the wind in the trees The Scarecrow of Scatterbrook Farm teaches the childers how to unlock the seasons and put rights to the world

He was absolutely hilarious in The Office. He and Martin Freeman played off each other wonderfully (with the immortal line "you're a cock, you're a cock, you're a cock") That show is nothing short than a masterpiece. Tried to watch to American version and quit after 10 minutes, thought I was going to shoot myself in the head 😞

Edited by R1s1ngs0n
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, R1s1ngs0n said:

He was absolutely hilarious in The Office. He and Martin Freeman played off each other wonderfully (with the immortal line "you're a cock, you're a cock, you're a cock") That show is nothing short than a masterpiece. Tried to watch to American version and quit after 10 minutes, thought I was going to shoot myself in the head 😞

Look out for The Detectorists

and Worzel Gummidge it's a show for ALL the family .

Both have cracking sound tracks too 

• Like 3

Yesterday was time for the 5th Bond You only live twice.

I have mixed feelings about this one...

While I was entertained there were a couple of things that annoyed me quite a bit.

First and foremost Mr. Connerys performance. He looked bored most of the time and as if he was only here for the paycheck. Especially the helicopter fighting scene drove me crazy.

Also there are some logic mistakes but I don't care too much.

Overall an entertaining watch but a big step down compared to the 4 movies before.

Also I watched home alone for the 10000 time. 10/10 stars every year :)

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, PRIAPISM said:

Yesterday was time for the 5th Bond You only live twice.

I have mixed feelings about this one...

While I was entertained there were a couple of things that annoyed me quite a bit.

First and foremost Mr. Connerys performance. He looked bored most of the time and as if he was only here for the paycheck. Especially the helicopter fighting scene drove me crazy.

Also there are some logic mistakes but I don't care too much.

Overall an entertaining watch but a big step down compared to the 4 movies before.

Also I watched home alone for the 10000 time. 10/10 stars every year :)

Connery did look a little bored in this one and it got even worse in his final ‘official’ appearance as 007 in ‘Diamonds Are Forever’.

His transformation to Japanese was also ‘questionable’ but as I said this film possesses enough redeeming qualities for me to still consider it a classic.

Next film is one of the Crown Jewels in the series. No Connery, but instead an Australian former model with no acting experience. Lazenby often gets the short end of the stick because of the comparisons with his predecessor but I think he did an admirable job and acquitted himself particularly well in the fighting/action scenes. Other than a glaring continuity issue that demands a great deal of suspension of disbelief, this is a spectacular offering with emotional impact like no Bond film before of since has achieved.

Enjoy 😊 

DC3610CF-F49A-44B7-9A16-D7432F83D094.gif

Edited by R1s1ngs0n
  • Like 4

On 1/2/2020 at 12:22 AM, Grendel said:

^^ Glad to hear it's worthwhile @Scary Hair.

I have plans to grab it on Blu when it gets released. 🙂

I'm also a big fan of Mark Gattis.

Part 3 the final one  last night UNFORTUNATELY  .

NEVER EVER did i think  that anyone would ever top Frank Langella as Dracula  . 

He just nailed the tall dark handsome  simmering  thing that gets in your head from the book .

OMG 

Claes Bang has Just taken joint 1st . Nope I  had no idea this talent existed ohh boy we do now . The whole thing I thought excellent. 

Even though the last episode is being criticized by some , not me .

I am however gagging for  MORE 

200w_d.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Scary Hair said:

Part 3 the final one  last night UNFORTUNATELY  .

NEVER EVER did i think  that anyone would ever top Frank Langella as Dracula  . 

He just nailed the tall dark handsome  simmering  thing that gets in your head from the book .

OMG 

Claes Bang has Just taken joint 1st . Nope I  had no idea this talent existed ohh boy we do now . The whole thing I thought excellent. 

Even though the last episode is being criticized by some , not me .

I am however gagging for  MORE 

200w_d.gif

get on that iplayer ann last one is goood

jack nicholson yes GIF

basil 👍

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Basil said:

get on that iplayer ann last one is goood

jack nicholson yes GIF

basil 👍

Mate I WAS GAGGING FOR IT .

Got in , fodder then I sat  waiting  team fortress 2 refresh GIF

On IPayer was that desperate  NO WAY IN HELL was  I hanging on to see that .

Yes it had a few slight faults that another episode  would have solved. 

BLOODY GOOD  BREATH of fresh air around the character and his nemesis. 

It is bad mind you  when you find yourself cheering for the bad guy 

And WHAT A BAD GUY 

200w_d.gif

• Like 3

Last night I watched one of my favourite world cinema films for the first time in a couple of years. 

I remember my reaction of watching the final act when I first saw it and even watching it now it still blows me away. 

Park Chan wook has a certain style and I enjoy all of his work very much. On top of that is the fact that this edition is a great release from arrow of the vengeance trilogy. Which starts off with Sympathy for Mr vengeance and ends with Lady vengeance. I'd recommend all 3 to anybody who hasn't seen them 😁👌

IMG_20200105_201942.jpg

IMG_20200105_202057.jpg

IMG_20200105_202207.jpg

IMG_20200105_202343.jpg

• Like 5