StevenWest

A 4K Release Of Catch 22 Is Truly Needed!

One of my all time fave movies that I watched on DVD again last night. And probably one that could really benefit from a decent 4k release. The cinematography, and shot compositions are just so stunning even to this day! A gem of a movie that got usurped by M.A.S.H. and Midway, and Tora, Tora, Tora et al at the time. Nothing against those movies, and I don't think people knew how to handle Catch 22 at the time. It's surreal, crass, dark, explicit, and supposedly "anti-war". But those that know the movie, how beautiful and stunning the locations and shots are. The opening credits and slow sun rise revealing the landscape, and when the planes head out, and the slow pan to the control tower still takes my breath away. And the whole vignette as Yossarian wanders the corrupt Italian streets at night. Absolutely stunning shots! For those that are into Apocalypse Now, and Platoon and Saving Private Ryan et al, and have never seen Catch 22 - I STRONGLY URGE YOU TO WATCH IT ASAP! I'd say it's the movie that opened the floodgates and inspiration for Coppola, Stone, and Spielberg. And one of those movies that just gets deeper, funnier, and more beautiful with repeated viewings! WCL, KIMCHI, Criterion, ANYBODY!!! 

• Thanks 1

i presume you are on about the orginal 1970 film, i havent seen this to be fair but did what the remade version that geogre clooney did on tv and enjoyed that.

and if is so getting a 4k release may be an issue where this was only recorded with a 4 track stereo mix.

which i suspect would mean a real huge bundle of work i suspect.

personally for me being bit of ww2 love of films my personal favourite i would love to see on a steelbook would be WHERE EAGLES DARE.

now not everyones cup of tea i know be me and the wife love it.

another one i like that doesn get much attention ENEMY AT THE GATES, good film wife hates that one wont say why as that you should see it , don't want to give anything away.

there are lots and lots of ww2 films i watch, it has become a bit of a obsession :D

basil 👍

Edited by Basil
  • Like 2

Awards

32 minutes ago, Basil said:

i presume you are on about the orginal 1970 film, i havent seen this to be fair but did what the remade version that geogre clooney did on tv and enjoyed that.

and if is so getting a 4k release may be an issue where this was only recorded with a 4 track stereo mix.

which i suspect would mean a real huge bundle of work i suspect.

personally for me being bit of ww2 love of films my personal favourite i would love to see on a steelbook would be WHERE EAGLES DARE.

now not everyones cup of tea i know be me and the wife love it.

another one i like that doesn get much attention ENEMY AT THE GATES, good film wife hates that one wont say why as that you should see it , don't want to give anything away.

there are lots and lots of ww2 films i watch, it has become a bit of a obsession :D

basil 👍

@Basil

I enjoy WW2 films as well (and most modern war films also!), especially some newer ones like Fury, Inglorious Basterds, Hacksaw Ridge, Saving Private Ryan, etc.! 😊

• Like 2

Hey 29 years to get a UK Nightbreed  anything can happen as  this did 😁❤.

The picture quality is insane so a 4K  clean up of Catch 22 would be 🤩🤩

Saw Catch 22 many moons ago and yes definitely up for a rewatch. 

Stand out WW2 has to be Hacksaw Ridge  , Inglorious Barstools , 

One that is overlooked Hannibal Brooks  an excellent turn by the late great Oliver Reed 

@Basil I was just about to Yell Where Eagles Dare  does have  a steelbook  then I relised it was The Eagle Has Landed ( I was Close) both have eagle in the title  .

Enemy At The Gates Ed Harris  GIVE THE MAN THE OSCAR

Enough Said 

kevin richardson nod GIF by BACKSTREET BOYS

👊

• Like 2

I didn't know about the recent remake of Catch 22, interesting! I had seen the original Catch 22 a couple of times on TV in the 70's/80's, and thought it was the stupidest movie ever! Then when the A&E Channel was newly born, they showed it UNCUT - and I was astounded! The nudity, the language (still say Catch 22 used the F bomb before M.A.S.H. did!), and the scene where Hungry Joe gets cut in half by the plane jealous McWatt is flying around crazy is the best "slasher scene" to date! LOL Still a hard movie to watch in way of timeline and chronology, but again - think it inspired Quentin Tarantino to do Pulp Fiction the way he did. Too bad Mike Nichols has passed on now, but hopefully there's enough material lurking in the archives I think would make many drop their jaws still to this day. The commentary on the DVD states that the movie had the "6th largest air force in the world" at the time of shooting. And the whole base and airstrip was constructed and pretty well destroyed by the film crew. Not sure if the YT clips do the original justice still? Definitely a movie like 2001: A Space Odyssey one has to sit through fully and be left gob smacked at the end to fully appreciate. ;)