romeroland

What tips would you give newcomers to our hobby

I think one point worth consideration is, be choosy.

If you discover that a Premium Edition of a film you are excited about owning is advertised, don't be too quick on grabbing a pedestrian Steelbook/4K/3D/Amaray.

Double and even, for some of us, triple dipping can become quite pricey.

If you have your heart set on a Manta or Blufans release, do you really need to grab that Best Buy/Zavvi/Amazon Steelbook?

Perhaps not.

If you are one that prefers to keep your premiums sealed, maybe a cheap amaray of that film to watch is more than sufficient?

I know I'm a terrible example for this, as I have as many as 6+ editions of some of my fave films but then, I'm old and senile and no longer have a family living with me to support.

(Mind, I still seem to be doing a helluva lot of supporting them regardless, heh.🙂)

Don't let the price of this hobby cause resentment with your significant other or overshadow necessary purchases in life.

Priorities; first and foremost!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Don't chase old grails that are very expensive. New editions of the same movie will appear over and over again.

• Don't collect complete lines, only movies you really like.

• Budget yourself monthly.

• If you miss out on something, wait until the hype is over.

• Only one edition per movie.

• and the most important: JOIN MEDIAPSYCHOS.COM

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Awards

On 7/11/2019 at 6:27 AM, PRIAPISM said:

• Don't chase old grails that are very expensive. New editions of the same movie will appear over and over again.

VERY SOUND ADVISE 👆👆👍💋💋

Take time to look around at members pictures of thire editions. 

DO NOT BE AFRAID  to ask questions about texture and build quality  . 

YES I said ask questions I know we have Psycho I  our site name we are the most frequently ones you can find .

We have the same passion as you that is why we are here  😊❤.

Also some of us have been around a while threads like this can be a gold mine of information. 

Buy what you love . 

Open or Sealed it is your choice alone .

Enjoy building YOUR collection that is as unique as you are .

HAVE FUN ❤❤💋

• Like 7

well good quesion @romeroland

firstly and foremost decide how much a month you want to spend on this collecting hobby, budget what you can afford. dont let it get out of hand.

if you don't spend some in one month it doesnt matter carry it over to the next month sometimes you can get a run on steels you weren't counting on and then the money is there when this does happen.

work out how much storage space you have for it, collections grow quickly and you will probabely end up getting rid of some steels later on because of this.

I have 2 bookcases as old small house but hold about 500 steels total.

decide what type of steels you want to collect.

I started off with WWA- world wide art releases (usually same art around the world but finishes change and ocassionally  embossed or debossed on some )

or Premium steel packages (WEA- world exclusive art) such as manta, hdzeta. where you get steels higher quality finishes with fullslip lentis/double lentis or 1/4 slips or one click versions. and then various booklets/cards goodies etc. but bare in mind these are alot more expensive and are released alot later on compared to WWA sometimes upto 1 year or more later.

i when started i collected WWA and swore i would never buy premiums due to the cost but slowly over time WWA quality and finishes have gone down overtime and price on them has gone up quiet alot now. the studios imho are trying to make much money as possible with wwa it's got worse compared to the premiums imho

when i stared a wwa single blu ray steel was £15 and now about £20ish

a wwa 3d+2d is about £26 now

a wwa 4k+2d is about £33 now

i now buy premiums mainly due to wanting 1 definivite version and last blufans double lenti 3d+2d for me cost me £62 about twice as much

but due to my shelf space i had to give away 80 wwa to my father in law, these where my lower quality ones but still at £15 a pop that was £1200 gone.

i decided at that point i wanted the best only.

this is a decision you all need to think about.

also i only collect double lentis nothing else for me locking into 1 type was important otherwise could end up with all sorts. maybe thats just my ocd kicking in but i thought it best overall and at least collection would be the same regardless of who the premium house was.

this hobby does tend to take over a bit of your time and you need to visit which ever forum site you use at least once a day or you will miss out on group buys and tbh they are everything to as and what you can get in the world and most premiums are NOT usually sold on sites they are done via groupbuys on sites such as here.

some sites do sell direct but they are few.

alot of the premiums are ONLY really available at a decent price in the groupbuys on the forums. other wise you are depending on ebay sellers and 'some' of them will try hoodwinking you have to be so careful. whether hidden damage or stupidly high price.

where as a groupbuys is run for collectors usually by collectors. makes perfect sense to me.

also if you get an issue usually gb hosts will try sort any mess out. it does happen due to world postal systems and damage.

my advice work out what you want with above and you be set.

happy collecting and hope see you around

basil :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Awards

Just because....

• I’ve been away and have to post something...
  • There are Lots of good points already made above
  • & I love a little wind up... 😉

My only advice is this..... OPEN THEM!! Especially if you are buying Premium. You would’nt buy a fully furnished property and not take a look inside would you?! 😂

”I own this WHOLE street” 😁

”Do you? Which is your favourite house?” 😲

”Ummmmm, this one. I like the pretty picket fence” 🙃

”The Fence??? But what about the Lounge? Which has the best Kitchen?” 🧐

”Buggered if I know mate, I’ve Never set foot in any of them” 🤪

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂👌🏼

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/11/2019 at 7:27 AM, PRIAPISM said:

tenor.gif

Damn I did that just recently and I'm collecting for a long time 😁

Gollum-Confused.gif

OH NO, I collect all FAC 😅

throwing-money-away.gif

😂 I try my best 😫

Check

giphy.gif

I don't miss anything anymore 😊

giphy.gif

Good one

giphy.gif

I think I totally blew that one 😅

tenor.gif

only 2 out of 6 correct

tenor.gif

But honestly, those are some great tips 👌

• Haha 8

Am 11.7.2019 um 07:27 schrieb PRIAPISM:

"only one edition per movie"

Ok, I got a Steelbook, a Lenti, a Double-Lenti, a Fullslip, a Metalpak and a Digipak. No Doubles...check ! 😂

"and the most important: JOIN MEDIAPSYCHOS.COM"

correction:

"and the most important: never JOIN MEDIAPSYCHOS.COM" if you don't want to report private bankruptcy ! 😜

• Haha 6

On 7/20/2019 at 12:01 AM, extantsrevenge said:

tenor.gif

Damn I did that just recently and I'm collecting for a long time 😁

Gollum-Confused.gif

OH NO, I collect all FAC 😅

throwing-money-away.gif

😂 I try my best 😫

Check

giphy.gif

I don't miss anything anymore 😊

giphy.gif

Good one

giphy.gif

I think I totally blew that one 😅

tenor.gif

only 2 out of 6 correct

tenor.gif

But honestly, those are some great tips 👌

I don’t mind old grails if it means something to you.  You’ll end up double dipping in the long run.

• Like 1