45Caliber

Memorial Day Weekend - War Movie Marathon

Given the occasion, I've been thinking about some of my favorite war movies I may like to rewatch this weekend and thought I'd thought I'd make a top 5 list. If anyone else is interested in contributing your list of favorites, I'd be interested to hear them.

1. La Grande Illusion - Dir. Jean Renoir
  2. Paths of Glory - Dir. Stanley Kubrick
  3. From Here to Eternity - Dir. Fred Zinnemann
  4. They Were Expendable - Dir. John Ford
  5. A Midnight Clear - Dir. Keith Gordon

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 45Caliber said:

1. La Grande Illusion - Dir. Jean Renoir
  2. Paths of Glory - Dir. Stanley Kubrick
  3. From Here to Eternity - Dir. Fred Zinnemann
  4. They Were Expendable - Dir. John Ford
  5. A Midnight Clear - Dir. Keith Gordon

😱 I do not know 4 & 5, especially surprised that I do not know 5 (as it is newer). So many movies to watch so little time 😅

The greatest War or Anti-War movie ever made is for me Grave of the Fireflies, so sad but so good. Also the Mobile Suit Gundam Series has some very strong entries that I consider among the best War stories ever told.

As for live action movies that I would place completely in the War genre.

The Deer Hunter

Windtalkers (I know @Masterblaster loves this too)

Tae Guk Gi The Brotherhood of War

All Quiet on the Western Front

come to mind ☺️

• Like 3

coffee.gif Good day my fine fellow psychos! :)

Great topic @45Caliber,

I'll try for some of my five (mind you this is so difficult for me because there is so many I enjoy ;)) I enjoy:

1) Schindler's List

2) God's and Generals

3) Gettysburg

4) Fury

5) Inglorious Bastards

Veum bullwhip.gif

Edited by Veum
  • Like 2

hmm for me, ww2 is my thing i have loads and loads of films here are 10 of top of my head but soo many need a steelbook especially where eagles dare my favourite of them all, i really wish the studios would get there act together some films i have had to import from america just for bluray and some are still on dvd only such as heros of telemark.

the danger becomes some of these will get lost over time. which is a real real shame.

and i wish ridley scott would get on with planning/filming in his battle of britain nothing has happened since been announced reckon could be 3-5 years away yet

1. where eagles dare

2. enemy at the gates

3.darkest hour

4. the book thief

5.defiance

6. operation crossbow

7. empire of the sun

8. the heroes of telemark

9. the eagle has landed

10. battle of britain

basil :)

• Like 3

Awards

3 hours ago, extantsrevenge said:

especially surprised that I do not know 5 (as it is newer).

I actually included it for that reason over more popular titles; it is a personal favorite, lesser-known film.

3 hours ago, extantsrevenge said:

Windtalkers (I know @Masterblaster loves this too)

Somehow I never got around to watching this, despite having been a huge John Woo fan. 

3 hours ago, Veum said:

2) God's and Generals

3) Gettysburg

Ooh, I forgot about Gettysburg and I will check out Gods and Generals. That’s what I like about topics like this; they recall forgotten titles and give ideas of things to watch.

24 minutes ago, Basil said:

the danger becomes some of these will get lost over time. which is a real real shame.

Great list Basil, though I still haven’t seen Darkest Hour or Book Thief! One thing we can thank the 4K evolution for is sorely needed restoration work being done for the format on a large number of catalog titles, including 4K scans made for Blu-Ray that are simply in need of HDR grading for release.

24 minutes ago, Scary Hair said:

Bat21

This is another great title I’d forgotten about!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I admit that war movies do not necessarily constitute my favorite movie genre but there are a few that come to mind:

Platoon

Casualties Of War

Full Metal Jacket 

The Deer Hunter

Biloxi Blues (more of a boot camp comedy but hat to mention it due to Christopher Walken’s hilarious performance - one of his best).

Dr Strangelove (again, not a war movie in the classic sense but the most brilliant anti-war satire ever made).

The Life And Death Of Colonel Blimp

A lot of classics I haven’t seen though

First 3 films on @45Caliber list.

M.A.S.H

Patton

and probably more...

• Like 2

Awards

another very good one i have been watching tonight on dvd i bought a job lot of is the counterfeiters, in foreign language watch with subs.

The story of the Operation Bernhard, the largest counterfeiting operation in history, carried out by Germany during WWII.

well worth a watch imho but can be brutal in places how they where treated

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0813547/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1

• Like 1

Awards

Just was going to look for my Gettysburg  / God's and Generals blu-ray Limited Edition set (BTW, I have the DVD of this same same set and found a great deal awhile ago for this BD set for I think around $11.95 or so icon_surprised.gif) and found my great set of Band of Brothers / The Pacific BD also! icon_biggrin.gif

Gettysburg / Gods and Generals Blu-ray

Limited Collector's Edition | Box Set Warner Bros. | 1993-2003 | 2 Movies | 551 min | Rated PG-13 | Jul 04, 2011

21133_large.jpg?t=1435251136

Band of Brothers / The Pacific Blu-ray

Special Edition Gift Set HBO | 2001-2010 | 2 Seasons | 1548 min | Rated TV-MA | Nov 08, 2011

27953_large.jpg?t=1368393018

Edited by Veum
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, extantsrevenge said:

I was not really impressed by Band of Brothers, but The Pacific is really amazing

I got the Band of Brother tin for my wife as she was a fan.

I've never watched either as the runtimes are intimidating.

15 hours ago, Veum said:

1548 min

😳